Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potatoes Are a Vegetable, NOT Darth Tater
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
Noticed the bad press potatoes have been getting lately? So has our "Guyatitian," David Grotto. He explains why Potatoes are NOT Darth Tater:

"I love potatoes. My family loves potatoes. My patients love potatoes. But none of us have needed to enroll in a twelve-step program to free ourselves from a terrible potato addiction. So why am I professing my love for spuds? Well, the lowly potato is once again being demonized for its supposed contribution to the obesity epidemic that is facing our nation's children. So as it stands right now, the USDA has proposed to drastically limit the serving size of potatoes and other starchy vegetables which also includes corn, lima beans and peas in the national school lunch program. Yes, I've got my undies in a bundle over this one, folks."

Find more about why David thinks potatoes (and other starchy veggies) are being blamed by following the link above.

How do you feel about potatoes and other starchy veggies? What's your favorite way to eat them?

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 35lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

shire_elf responded:
Honestly I think it is all about how you cook them. Think about it this way, take one mashed potato and one potato that has been cut into pieces, lightly oiled with olive oil and baked. Which one is going to fill you up more, the potato that has been baked will fill me up more, and the addition of a little oil is nothing compared to all the gravy most people would add to the mashed potato. Keep the skin on and you add a ton of vitamins and fiber. I also think that all the starchy vegetables are better than all the refined sugar you could be eating. Would you rather have your kid eat some corn or a cookie?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, everyone! I have weighed more than twice as much as normal since the age of 2. I have had many short-lived attempts at reducing, but always gai...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.