Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ready for a change
kristen_isapirate posted:
Hey everyone. I'm Kristen. I'm 20. I'm 275 pounds.

I've never openly admitted that before. I've always struggled with my weight. Things got out of control when I started college. There are so many details that contributed to my issues, but I'm sure everyone's been there.

I've been to doctors. They say "Diet and exercise. That's all you need." or "Wow! You don't look like you weigh that much!" Neither of those things help. I'm not looking for a miracle diet. I'm not expecting instant results. I'm ready for a real change. I'm ready to acknowledge that it could take me a couple of years to get healthy.

I guess what I'm looking for is somewhere safe to be honest about what I'm going through. No one in my life knows. Every time I see family, they tell me I look like I've lost weight. I haven't stopped gaining weight, so I'm not sure if they're just trying to be nice or not.

I've been on WebMD for a few days now, checking out the food & fitness planner and some of the articles. I figured it was time to announce my presence. Maybe someone will have some advice.

irisheyes213 responded:
Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the board. WTG on taking the first few steps to start your journey. It sounds like you have the right attitude for getting started and are focusing on your health.

My best suggestion is to pick 1 or 2 things that you want to focus on during the first week and tackle those. Once you feel comfortable with those choices (maybe exercising for 10 min a day and drinking water instead of other things) then add something else. It doesn't need to be a race and small changes often last longer than when we try to overhaul everything at once.

We hope you share your journey with us. You CAN do this!
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

kristen_isapirate replied to irisheyes213's response:
Thanks. I decided to use the Food & Fitness Planner. It helps me keep track of everything. I'm also blogging every day on blogger.com to help me stay accountable to myself. I realized a long time ago that if I have to write (or type) things that I'm eating, I'm more careful about what I eat. I don't want to have to remind myself of the not-so-good-for-me things, so I'm more likely to stay away from them. The Planner on here has definitely been great.

As for tackling a couple of things for this first week, I decided no fast food (I'm a college kid, it's a habit) and 64 oz of water a day. Today I also took one of the dogs for a walk around part of the neighborhood. It was only ten minutes and it was manageable, so I think I'll continue that, as well.

Making small changes is my goal. I need a lifestyle change. In the past, I've tried just jumping into it. I get overwhelmed and discouraged. Soon, I give up. I'm determined not to let that happen this time. The other thing I'm doing different (now that I live on my own) is not including my mom. She gets a little TOO rah-rah about it and it's frustrating. Too much pressure. Which is why I'm here, looking for a different source of motivation/encouragement.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm really looking forward to being on here with everyone.

irisheyes213 replied to kristen_isapirate's response:
Sounds like a good plan! I wish you a healthy and successful week! You CAN do this!!
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Kristen!

I just wanted to add my "welcome" to Deb's (IrishEyes).

If it's any consolation, I still outweigh you after having lost over 35lbs, and I also get told that I don't look like I weigh "that much." I think most people just aren't good at estimating weight (I know I'm not) and they are trying to be nice.

Like Deb said, I cut things out a little at a time and added better things in. I've gone walking every day for over a year now and that has helped tremendously. Not that I've lost a ton of weight, but I am now an active person. I wear my pedometer every day and upload my steps to my computer weekly and that's my motivation.

Do make sure to check with your doctor to get an "okay" on making diet changes and exercise, if you haven't already. Also, your student health center may offer you weight loss resources and activity choices. They did at the college my daughter went to.

Best wishes!

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 35lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Raquel and I'am 22 years old i have been married for 3 years to my best friend and together for 4 years Im an ambulance dispatche...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.