Skip to content
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
shaelan posted:
I posted this in another group, too, because I'd like to meet as many people as I can. I like helping others, and I finally got to the point where I think I need a little bit of help, too.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone. I've been trying to lose weight for a very long time, as I'm sure most of you have as well. My biggest obstacle is keeping up the motivation, and the fact that I have suffered with an eating disorder for 19 years. Focusing on my diet and exercise usually makes me upset because I have to accept the fact that I'm not taking care of myself. The stress of that triggers the eating disorder. I'm trying to take it in small steps, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed and shut down, and in turn, I make unhealthy choices. I'm trying to break the cycle, so I've decided to join an online support group in hopes that it will help, and maybe I will make some progress. I don't really have any support in my life, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyway, sorry for rambling so much. I don't mean to hang my life story out there in my first post, but that's why I'm here and I hope to make some friends and we can support each other on our weight loss journeys.

I weigh 265 lbs, I'm 4'11", and I am 26 years old. I've been sick and tired of being unhealthy for a long time, but this ED thing is holding me back. I know I can do it, I just need to jump on the bandwagon and stop falling off! Consistency is an issue, but like I said, I'm hoping that a little bit of support will help, and I am absolutely willing and hoping to be a person of support for others. From your discussion posts, you seem like a great group of people : )

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and welcome, Shaelan!

I agree with you that if you don't have support at home, definitely reach out to other resources. You can also check into weight loss groups that may meet in your area. Are you working with a therapist or counselor for your ED?

You're absolutely right about this being a great group! Even though we may not be the quickest posters, we do care. Here's a link to our Newcomer Tips may have some helpful suggestions for you.

Keep us updated--you CAN do this!

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 37lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

shaelan replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you! I've never gotten treatment for my ED specifically, but I've been looking into going back to therapy and am waiting for a call back. I might start calling every day just so they schedule an appointment to get rid of me lol.

One of my problems is that I know why I am the way I am, I know what to do to fix it...I just don't do it. And I get very upset and pissed off at myself for it. I am quite the perfectionist, so I need to learn to let some of that go. Slowly but surely, I'm learning!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to shaelan's response:
Hello Shaelan and thanks for writing back!

Did you get a call back from the office so you could schedule an appointment? This article on Exercise Motivation mentions, 'Don't Expect Perfection' in tip #3.

It says, "Another pitfall is all-or-nothing thinking, a perfectionist way of looking at life that leads to giving up when you miss a day or two or your workout doesn't go well. If you accept going in that there will be some sidesteps on your fitness journey, you'll be better mentally prepared to deal with setbacks..."

How have the lifestyle changes been going for you?

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 37lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Pat and I have been pleasantly plump all my life. I can't remember ever being smaller than a size 12. My mom says I blossomed at th...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.