Skip to content
Rants!
distant_horizon posted:
You know what's really bothering me right now?? I just finished reading and article on Yahoo about ideal weight, and the user comments just set me off. The attitude of the people who are posting seems to always run towards judgemental and negative. Does anyone else notice how the general opinion seems to be that anyone who is overweight is either stupid, lazy, or apathetic (or any combination thereof)? This attitude is part of what makes it so hard to be happy with who you are. There was one person in particular who had posted that people shouldn't be taught to love their bodies as they are, but should be taught that being overweight is wrong. THIS is the attitude that has made eating disorders such a problem with our youth. One other poster put it best: "Who ever lost weight by self-loathing?" She had pointed out that a good weight loss regimen started with acceptance and respect of your body, and respect for what you put in it and how you care for it. I think this is a good thought to keep in mind as we are all on a journey for healthier lives. Just wanted to vent!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Distant_Horizon, I think you've made a very good point! Negativity and self-loathing are not going to help anyone succeed at anything.

Making fun of or deriding fat people seems to be one prejudice that is still accepted by some in our society. I personally get tired of fat jokes made by comics or put in movies.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having experienced some of what you're venting about, either.

Thanks for sharing!

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 37lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

Spotlight: Member Stories

* Age: 47 * Location: FL * Height: 5"2 * Start Weight 280 * Goal Weight: 130 * Plan: dieting and working out

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.