Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I made the first day!
johnuponorth posted:
My diet is killing me. The nutritionist recommend that I eat 2990 calories a day. All six meals yesterday totaled 1150 calories. How do you get there eating "Good Food"?
JEB

jis4judy responded:
How are you counting the calories ? try useing Fitday or the web Md Food and fitness planner .
and what are you eating ?
2990 calores sounds like a lot to lose weight you must be very tall for that recomendation.
Most men even tall ones can get by on 1500 to 1800 calories
post a daily food plan and maybe we can make suggestions to get better nutrition and balance in your choices.. eating too little is just as bad for you as eating too much ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

ronsheila responded:
2990 sounds way to high anyway. I would try 1500. Not sure your nutritionist has advised you very well.

abnersmom responded:
Hi John,

I've never heard of 2990 calories a day recommended to anyone other than olympic athletes. What do you eat for those 6 meals that only adds up to 1150 calories? I am so careful with my nutrition and calories, but it is still a struggle to keep it to 1200 cals. even with eating only 3 meals and a small afternoon snack before exercising. I eat lots of veggies, some lean protein and fruit - nothing processed and mostly no white carbs on whole wheat and grains. Judy's recommendation of logging your food at fitday.com or here on WebMD food tracker is an excellent way to track calories and nutrition values.
Debbie SW 265 CW 191 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

NavywifeLivinglife replied to abnersmom's response:
Lord if I would have to eat 2900 calories a day I would choke, or be vomiting all day. I barely can eat what I eat with wanting to just hide away somewhere.

johnuponorth responded:
Friends just rechecked Webmd.

You said that you want to lose weight by having a 50-50 split between eating less and exercising more. In order for you to lose 159lbs and meet your 154lbs weight goal at a rate of 2lbs per week, you will need to:
  • Limit your calories from FOOD to 2970 calories per day.
  • Increase your calorie burn from FITNESS to burn 1731 calories per day, or 12120 calories per week. We estimate you are currently burning 1231 calories per day through activity. In order to meet your goal, you need to burn an additional 500 calories per day. Things like doing laundry, grocery shopping, and walking all count as fitness, so be sure to note them in your WebMD Food & Fitness Planner.
  • Drink at least 64 oz of WATER every day. Drinking water helps the body flush out toxins, hydrates the skin, and helps curb your appetite. Be sure to drink even more water if you're increasing your activity level.

I have lost 6 pounds since Monday. I started at 319 and 5'10". I burning about 2100 cal per day exercising.
JEB

abnersmom replied to johnuponorth's response:
John, that's amazing. Congrats on the weight loss. Mine says 1200 cals per day and burn 541 per day. I struggle with getting the additional calorie burn even with walking most days after work and yoga a few times a wk. I'd love to know your workout routine for burning 2100 cals a day. I know men burn more, but that is truly amazing to me.
Debbie SW 265 CW 191 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

jis4judy replied to johnuponorth's response:
Hi John when you entered your stats on web md fitness did you choose and activity level ? what I do on that is choose sedentary then add in exercise as I do it I get a more friendly number .. i am useing fitday .
your heavy body does burn lots of calories in exercise as you reduce that will slow down .. so possably you do need a higher number in the begining ...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Like everyone else, I'm having trouble with the 2990 recommendation. If you are very , very heavy, like closer to maybe 400 lbs maybe, as a beginner program maybe I can see it, as you wouldn't want to drasticly reduce your intake until your body can adjust a bit.... Anyway, if you're set to try the 2990 goal, try getting some food grade coconut oil, its spreadable and adds a bit of coconutty flavor to sandwiches, and is considered a "good" fat. Use this plus real mayo and mustard or whatever and you'll never taste a big difference. Switch to real foods, not processed (which have a lot of transfats, which are bad fats), so go real sweet cream butter and no margarine.
If you have no allergies, any type of nuts are a good choice, but almonds and soynuts are the best for you, They add alot of good fats and high calories in a small amount. A serving of almonds twice a day could go a long way to help you reach that caloric goal without being bad for you.
Also , yogurts, cottage cheese, milk and reg cheese are all relatively calorie dense choices, but have more "bad fats" than nuts.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Also wanted to say, if you cant see yourself sitting around eating unsalted nuts by the handful, try getting sliced or slivered almonds in the baking aisle. Add these to salads, whole grain brown rice(With a handful of frozen mixed veggies and some chicken broth) to make a pilaf, or even to your sandwiches with some sliced apple. You'd be surprised how good this can be. Good luck

3point14 responded:
Hi John!

My boyfriend has a build probably similar to yours, he's six foot five and weighed around 330ish when he started his weight loss. His nutritionist also told him around the 3000 mark (much to my jealousy!) calorically every day, too. He's found it easy to pad his healthy eating with a peanut butter sandwich every morning on whole wheat bread, and starchy veggies like carrots and corn in addition to things like peppers and cucumbers.

Hummus can be a good source of calories while still staying healthy, as can full-fat dairy, or leaner cuts of red meat.

Good luck on reaching your goals!

irisheyes213 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I agree with TWO.... nuts and low fat dairy are great ways to add calories to your day. Maybe add a protein shake too so that you can boost your intake but not feel like you are eating too much. Also, I think Judy has a point, make sure that you aren't overestimating your activity throughout the day. Also, don't count the exercise that you plan on doing for the 50/50 split as that would be double counting and could add to an overestimate. I did a double check on the webmd planner and depending on your age it looks like you chose light activity.You could try varying your calories so that you are averaging some where between 2500 and 3400 per day. This may not seem as overwhelming and it would allow for you not to worry about going out to dinner or having a cocktail or 2. Hang in there and you will find your groove
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Spotlight: Member Stories

hi I am 280lbs I have been told to loose weight to lower my high blood pressure and to cure my se vere gastritis. Ihavebeen told that I need a low fat...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.