Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'M A BEACHED WHALE !!!!
doxielover10 posted:
I was sent here by Rick of another community. In the last year I arrived DOA at the hospital in total renal failure and it's been downhill from there.

I have been a size 4-6 my entire life,I have absolutely no idea how to diet. I was diagnosed as a really, really bad rapid cycling bipolar. When I started to take the medication I got fatter and fatter. I have been housebound for almost a year because I keep falling.

I eat frozen dinners like lean cuisine and Healthy Choice but at night I have sweet attacks. I'm so ashamed of how I look, when I see people from before the look on their faces is just a knife in my heart.

I NEED HELP

ALLISON

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Allison! Are you taking some sort of steroid? I know that made my grandson gain weight and want to eat all the time. He even got that "moon" face. Thank God he is well now and thin as a rail, but I digress. Are you using a food tracker like the one on here or fitday.com? I use fitday, but I'm sure the one here is good too. There are folks on the 50 to 100 board who are night snackers and some whose trigger foods are also sweets. Go over there and ask them for advice. It's a very active board and you will get lots of support and good advice from people who have lost and are maintaining. You cannot hope to give up the sweets completely - you just set yourself up for failure. You just have to figure out some healthy substitutions (one member makes up baggies of chocolate cheerios with a few raw almonds for her night snacks) that will help those cravings without that desperate feeling of deprivation. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Debbie SW 265 CW 185 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Allison, I'm Kim. My first questions are, do you know how to cook? and are you willing to try new recipes?
Those done... I'd like to share a few snacks I like if I'm sweating out a sweet attack. (I'm sorry I have to name brands, it's not like I'm trying to advertise, there's just really no other way)
1. Dannon Light and Fit vanilla yogurt(bought in large container) is really good and you get more of it for less calories and fat than the single serving yogurts. More on what to add in down below.
2. Silk original flavor Almond milk, 70 cal per cup, vs 100 or more for even reg skim milk and it tastes better and has more calcium than dairy milk
3. Here's a weird one, but stay with me on this. 3Tblsp (this is the raw unpopped measure) airpopped popcorn, as it falls into the bowl, spray it with PAM butter flavored cooking spray , then toss with no salt sodium substitute and a packet or two of stevia or some other 0 calorie sweetener. This tastes somewhat like kettle corn and has only the calories of the popcorn which fills you up fast and is fiber rich.
4. last but not least, buy a box of Bakers semi sweet squares in the baking aisle. 1/2 of one of the prepackaged squares is only 70 calories. If you take the time to lick it like a sucker, instead of just devouring it, it really will kill your craving, because it's so rich, you don't and won't want more.
Now, the mix ins for the yogurt, 1 T of semi sweet mini chocolate chips, or 1/8 cup of very small red grapes, or 1/3 of a can of no sugar added fruit coctail, or 1 tsp of simply fruit jam.
I'm not one to blog surf alot , but I make most every meal I eat from scratch (and not many take more than a few min to prepare or maybe 1/2 hr cooking time). So if you'd like to try some, I'd be happy to share some with advice and input.
Above all, stay strong. Right now don't worry about what you think others are thinking. This is for you, not them.

fatbegone409 responded:
No worries sweet thang.. We will get you fixed up in no time. Stop being so hard on yourself. Number one Go check out the gerson diet. Read all you can on it I believe in it and I start Thursday. I was 409 pounds at the start of my journey. I have lost 51 pounds. I have some great recipes at fatbegone.me and the green smoothie one is what I live for!!! Feel free to email me from the contact form on my page. we can talk about weight any time you like. Trust me I know how it feels to be the odd ball, the giurl who can not just sit in any chair. I believe in me and I believe it you too!!!

doxielover10 replied to abnersmom's response:
So sorry for the delay, I've been in the hospital. You know my Mom says I was the only child who would cut their icing off the cake and only eat the cake. Now, I eat the HUGE Hershey bar with almonds, all in one sitting. I was a size 4-6 my entire adult life, so I had no idea how to diet. I am a very, very severe rapid cycling bipolar so the whole world knows you turn into a beached whale on the meds and I most definitely have. I have no idea how much I weigh, I got into a fight with the nurse because I refused to get on the scale and she said since I was having general anesthesia they have to know how much you weigh, so she turned me around so I could not see it. I am on a diary that is fantastic called My Food Diary.

I hope to get to know you ladies since I'm in such bad shape and have absolutely no support here.

Best
Allison

doxielover10 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Believe it or not I had a very successful catering business with a friend of mine. However, I do not recall any customers who wanted low cal food LOL

Right now I eat cream of wheat every morning, coffee with 2 truvia packets and milk.

No lunch, no snacks

Dinner: Lean cuisine sesame chicken which I do like

I am a total insomniac, I go 3 or 4 days with no sleep. I have taken every medication available, even knock out drops with no success. Around 3 AM I start looking for sweets or chips.
It's better since I have the laptop, however I'm hoping to stop doing it.

Best
Allison

doxielover10 replied to fatbegone409's response:
You sound like fun LOL, what on earth is the gerson diet ? I'll do anything to be on my way. I have never been fat in my life and I hate it.

I had someone say to me, you are such a beautiful girl, how could you let yourself go to this degree, you're a beast. As I raised my fist to punch him in the nose, my husband pulled me back. I did however slash all his tires the next day, it pays to work in the medical field. Scalpels, hypodermics etc. I am so tired. Go read my other posts so you have an idea who I am. I'm sure looking forward to getting to know you.

Allison

totallywiggedout replied to doxielover10's response:
Gotta ask, Allison, have exactly how much cream of wheat are we talking about for breakfast? Read the labels, I think its pretty close to 300 cal per cup when you add it up and thats made with water with no butter or milk.
Food serving size and labels are my new obsession. You would not believe how little of something is an actual serving size and when you (x's) it by how much you actually eat..... you get my drift.
Anyway, I'm gonna yell at you here, don't skip lunch. Don't skip any meals and try not to skip those pesky snacks too. It's important to keep your blood sugar at even levels all day without dips from being hungry. Because as soon as your body starts needing food and you aren't feeding it, it starts to "store up " for the big famine.(you aren't going into a famine, but your body thinks so)
Snacks , I slide in somethng just about calorie free, like baby carrots and cucumbers, or 1/2 of a pink grapefruit, peeled and eaten like an orange.
I have found some really good products on the market, that have way less calories than most others and that taste seriously good.
There is a soft pita bread that i buy at walmart, flax and Oat in them, they have only 60 calories for a WHOLE pita, and I only eat 1/2 of one for lunch. I stuff this with 1/2 pkg carl buddig sliced turkey (90 cal per whole package), a little miracle whip light, some mustard mixed with stevia, a handful of baby spinach leaves and 1/3 of a sliced apple. I love this so much , I eat it for lunch and sometimes dinner too. And the 1/2 pita sandwich only tips in at about 130 calories.
With all the fiber from the pita itself, the apple and the spinach leaves, This puppy is filling.
For a snack or very light lunch, eat 1/2 can of no sugar added fruit coctail with 1/8 c of light and fit vanilla yogurt. This is around 110 calories and eaten with cucumbers or carrots is another filling , quick lunch.
I don't buy any frozen meals, I don't like their sodium content and I can get more to eat and less fats and sodium if I fix something fresh at home.
I like tilapia or catfish, sprinkled with lemon pepper and drizzled with lemon juice , baked in a foil pocket.
I like chicken breast fingers, dipped in egg whites and panko and sprayed with PAM, then baked
Baked sweet potatoes, with canned low sodium chili beans, or just plain, or sliced thin and sprayed with PAM and baked to make chips.
simple stuff, easy to prepare and they don't take much more time than putting a frozen dinner in the oven to bake.

abnersmom replied to doxielover10's response:
Hi Allison,

Glad you checked back in. I hope you are feeling better. Good that you are logging your food. I think it helps keep us accountable if we are honest and write everything down. The scale and numbers don't matter - just eat healthier and feel better, the rest will take care of itself. Wishing you well.
Debbie SW 265 CW 183 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in CT, happily married, mom of 3 and grandma of 2. In my early 40's, very obese, and finding diets just didn't seem to work for me, I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.