Skip to content
Hello. I need some help starting my journey.
Bluedogfan posted:
I apologize for bothering you folks. I just kind of found this place when I typed "I weigh 265 pounds and I want to lose weight" in google. Anyway after looking around I see that this seems to be the kind of community I am looking for.

Now about me and why I am here. I am a 265 pound 5'10, 34 year old guy. I am married to a wonderful wife and have a 4 year old son. My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant with our next one. I vowed before my son was born to lose weight so that daddy could run with his son. I was 238lb. So that I could play catch and all that. Well it never happened and for the better part of the past I was weighing in at 250+. Well today I was walking past a mirror ( don't we hate them? ) and actually stopped looking at myself fromt he side and thought, Who is that? So today I vowed to get myself back to the ridiculous goal of 160 which I was at just 10 years ago when I met my wife. You see my wife was a pretty big gal when I met her and she actually got gastric bypass. I don't want to go that route and my wife always has twinkies etc.. around she is a stress eater. She is not very helpful around me dieting. I actually went a year before my son was born to a weigh loss Dr. I am paying him 300+ a month and I in a 4 month period lost 37 pounds. I look over at her after a particularly trying day and she is eating a pint of my favorite ice cream. Her words were one bite won't kill you. We can all pretty much guess what happened.

I never eat breakfast or lunch, I snack early afternoon and again early evening and then usually go out from work and eat a combo meal from any # of fast food places. So I know I need to eat 5 meals a day, and up my fluid level.

If any of you has any advice I would be most appreciative. I am already glad I found this community. I read an article on thyroid disease (which I have) and saw that if not controlled it could cause fuzzy or unusual feelings in your head. Which might explain my two trips to the ER where they have found nothing and swear they can find nothing wrong. I think I need to have my Dr get my medicine under control. I don't think he has found the right spot so to speak according to that article. Anway thank you all for your time and I look forward to getting to know you.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Bluedog, My name's Kim
I am your official welcoming committee! Welcome, clap clap clap, ok you've taken the first step. Good for YOU!
Now, come on over to the 50-100 lb diet club here on WebMD so you can reread the blogs from all of us over the last couple of months. Im not kidding. It's the site most of us hang out on and we can help you better there if we don't have to "go looking for you" , lol.
First off, please please PLEASE fill out the nutrition chart information here on the WebMD site. You will plug in your weight, goal etc and The little elves in the machine will tell you how much water to drink, how many calories you need and how many calories you must burn daily to reach your completely ATTAINABLE goal without surgical interferance.
Most of the recipe ideas and food ideas that have floated into our blog in the past three months wouldn't take you any more time to prepare and get on the table than driving down to the drivethru would take. And, as a plus, you'll save on gas! BUT more importantly, you will eat better food, feel better and lose weight.
Ours is not a DIET site. You will read time and time again about the weightloss journey. Because to us, that's what it is. We aren't in for the "quick fixes" of our youth we are all in for the "long haul". Some of our 50-100 bloggers have lost well over 100 lbs and have kept it off , and have been in Maintenance for YEARS. And yet , every day or so, they chime in, to help others and to keep focused on their paths.
So, Blue. You ready to take the NEXT STEP?
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand, Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers
SW 243, Jan 3, 2012
CW 213.3 March 29,2012
GW 135

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Bluedog! First of all, I'm wondering if you are from New Orleans. My son is a fan as well.

Like Kim, I spend most of my time on the 50-100 board. It is a very active board. Please join us. You will learn a lot from the ladies there - yeah, sorry, men don't seem to hang around long. I log my food at fitday.com and stick to about 1200 calories a day. It has worked for me so far, by making me accountable for everything that I consume. Two weeks ago I began the Couch 2 5K program. My weight loss had slowed so much at this point and eating less is not an option so I felt that I had to do more on the exercise part. Don't have a lot of extra time because of work and the program fits my schedule well.

Best of luck to you on your journey. It's not easy and it never will be, but being healthier is so worth it. Last year at this time if you'd told me that I would be running and enjoying it, I would have laughed and said "whatever."
Debbie SW 265 CW 177 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

abnersmom replied to abnersmom's response:
I have no idea why my first post didn't work. So I'll try again.

Welcome Bluedog! My son is a huge fan as well. Are you from New Orleans?

Like Kim, I spend most of my time on the very active 50-100 lb. board. I joined last Sept. and it has made all the difference on my journey. I log my food on fitday.com, recommended by one of the board members. 1200 calories a day with a careful eye on nutrition has worked for me, but would be too little for you. Men can eat more and lose, so take Kim's advice and see what the food and diet planner recommends for you. Two weeks ago, I began the Couch 2 5K program as my weight loss had slowed and I can't reduce calories anymore. Seemed like upping the exercise was the only thing to change at this point. If you had told me this time last year, that I would be running and enjoying it I would have laughed and said "whatever."

Best of luck to you on your journey. Look forward to hearing from you. I learn so much from others' posts.
Debbie SW 265 CW 177 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I have had a problem with weight ever since I received treatment for an eating disorder 20 years ago at which time I weighed 115 lbs (I'm 5...More

Helpful Tips

Warning: Ramblings
Had some good things happen this week that I wanted to share. Had 2 people I know tell me I look 10 years younger. I'm under 250 lbs. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.