Skip to content
New to the community
mbrinkman1956 posted:
Hello, I have decided if I want to be able to see my grandchildren graduate and get married, I needed to put myself first. I am determined to lose 110 pounds and start living healthier. I began this journey on Friday and I have already lost 3 pounds.

I was pretty much a zip on exercise...but for the past few days I have been walking my dog a few blocks, probably 1/2 mile each way. If I add distance on as I go, I should see more weight fall off? Hopefully with time I will be able to add in a more vigorous exercise program.

Hello to everyone!!!

abnersmom responded:
Hi and welcome! You are off to a great start. I love that you are gradually getting more exercise. That is the only way to be successful at this lifestyle change - gradual changes that you can live with. I spend most of my time on the 50-100 board as it is very active, but I check in here from time to time. Best of luck to you on your journey to better health.
Debbie SW 265 CW 172 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi mb, welcome.
You sound like me back in January, lol. I pretty much just flaked out, didn't do alot of exercising. Like you, I have a granddaughter that I am determined to stick around for.
I just started out easy. I used my Wii tennis , a LOT. lol. If you are walking a total of about a mile, take my advise, for the time being, just hold steady with that distance and work on learning the ins and outs of portion control and lighter food prep (more raw veggies/fruits) , better choices of condiments, lighter breads, cheeses and meats.
Portion control was a biggie for me. Read the labels on stuff and only have the ONE serving size. Try the WebMD food and fitness planner to log your caloric intake and exercise output. It really does help. This sounds dumb too, but do try to eat the 5 recommended "meals " a day. I like a larger meal later, so I make sure to allow for those calories while still eating my meals and snacks. Drink AT LEAST the recommended 64 oz of water a day, drink more if you can.
Browse, or "lurk" on the 50-100 diet club site here too. Most of us stick around that site and we'd love to have you. A few of the ladies are in their Maintenance time, they've lost all their weight and still log to help them stay focused and to help out the rest of us poor souls..... they are extremely helpful, careing people who are living testament to the ability of all of us to eat better, live healthier, and lose weight .
Kim
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand, Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers
SW 243, Jan 3, 2012
CW 213.3 March 29,2012
GW 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

It wasnt until my early 20's that I started having issues with weight gain. I had always been curvy and a "plus" size but I was a runner...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.