Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Deperately in need of encouragement
Susanmcsl posted:
Hi,
I've been using the weght management toold on this sigt for 2 days now, which, sadly, is the longest I've dieted in a while. Honestly, I've got about 135 lbs to lose, and I'm not otimistic. I've tried and failed so may times. If I fail again, I may be looking at weight loss surgery, which I don't want. Has anyone had success with this program?

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Susan, welcome!
First off, nice job on getting started with the Food and Fitness Planner, it's the very first thing I suggest for newcomers.
Now, I want to scare you into straight thinking. YOU DON'T want to do those stomach surgeries. Please , read the blogs here http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange If you don't want to do the surgery now, then you surely won't want it after reading.
I want to say, that , yes , we have mostly ALL tried and failed at diets in the past. Mainly because of the whole diet mentality. It's constrained, short sighted and never really teaches us HOW to eat healthfully for the long run. Diets are great for losing that 5-9 lbs right before a wedding, but don't kid yourself. Diets never work because they are only for the short term, then those lbs come right back on and usually bring "friends".
I know that you want to lose over 100 lbs, so do I, total, though now, I'm closer by 50 lbs than I was in January of this year, but I want you to come "lurk" and read the blogs posted by the members of the 50-100 lb diet community here on WebMD. Mostly because It's a wonderful group of people that are taking our journey together. This is NOT a misery loves company site either. We are very very supportive, we share recipes, vent about our nasty plateaus, talk about our significant others, talk about EVERYTHING. .... PLUS every day there are pointers on how to stay motivated through "dry spells" , how to eat when going out , I mean its a great place to come and just BE yourself.
If you check out that community, I promise you won't want to leave. I sure don't. But you will see, as most of us posted our begin, current and goal weights at our signoffs , that there are 4 or 5 of us that have lost OVER 100 lbs and are and HAVE BEEN in maintenance, YES MAINTENANCE for years. They still blog just about daily to help the rest of us, give support, and to help themselves stay focused, FOREVER.
Because, Susan, it is a long journey, and you don't want to or have to make it alone.
huggs
Kim
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers
SW 243 1/3/12 CW 193 Goal 135

abnersmom responded:
Hi Susan, I'll add my welcome to Kim's and she has given you great advice. Let us know how you are doing.
Debbie SW 265 CW 162 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Dave. I have been overweight pretty much my entire life. I am now ready to make a change in my life and start living more healthy. A lo...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.