Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to eat healthy??
sroberts08 posted:
My whole life I have always ate whatever tasted good. Growing up I was an overweight child. My parents never taught me what was good for you as far as good goes. So I have struggled with weight problems my whole life. Now, I'm married and have two kids. My husband has lost 60lbs and here I am obese!! And don't know how to get started or eat healthy. What are good meals to cook that arn't crazy healthy that I can get started with? How can I stay modivated and exercises 5-6 times a week, even though at the end of the day I'm exhausted!! I'm not a runner so a fast walk or a slight jog is all I can really do right now.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi sroberts, WELCOME!
Well the first question I had was answered. You DO cook. That's a great start because if you live off of preprepared canned, boxed or frozen foods or takeout, it's a little harder to get your mind wrapped around eating to feed your body.
My first thing to say to newbies is fill out a food and fitness planner either here or on fitday.com. This one works best for me, because I'm always here blogging anyhow, so I can just log in , fill it in and continue on to my community sites.
Since you are probably the one to shop, start reading labels on EVERYTHING. To make better, healthier choices you MUST be an informed shopper. If you like mayo or miracle whip, get fat free or light, it cuts calories per serving by at least HALF. Same goes for ALL dairy products.
Try to aim to cook from scratch. Because of the preservatives, sodium, fillers and fats in preprepared,processed foods you aren't doing yourself any favors if you buy and eat them.
Shop 90% of your foods FRESH and RAW. That means Fresh meats, NOT processed stuff like hot dogs, cased smoked sausages and most lunchmeats. Think about this, 1 hotdog with no toppings or bun has about 1/4 of your day's worth of calories and 2 full days worth of fats and sodium.
Fresh,frozen with no butter or additives, or low sodium canned veggies. Fresh fruits or canned in their own juice NOT light syrup or heavy syrup.
If you drink juice or pop I suggest you stop. Too many calories and way too much sugar for what you get. READ the labels and see that the serving size is usually 1 CUP , that's only 8 oz and most bottles of pop have 2.5 servings. Times that by the calories per serving and its 1/3 of a days calories in 1 bottle of pop. Drink water. The recommended amount of water per day is 64 oz, that's 1/2 gallon of water. In order to get that or more in, you won't have the room or need for other, more unhealthy drink options.
You want to blame your parents for not teaching you how to eat and what is healthy.
That doesn't wash. You aren't kidding anyone, and you are only copping out on yourself. You are an adult, WITH CHILDREN. Unless you have lived with your head in the sand and let everyone else make ALL of your food decisions, you DO know what's good for you, you just don't WANT to know and do the right thing. You'll have to buckle down and adjust to the realization that as an adult, YOU are ultimately responsible for what goes into your mouth.
k
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers
SW 243 1/3/12 CW 186.2 Goal 135

sroberts08 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Tottalywiggedout....thank you for your response and help about the food. Your right, I CHOOSE what goes in my mouth...I am not blaming my parents one bit. I just don't know the right way to eat to lose the weight and burn the fat. I have goggled so many things and millions of people say to do things differently. I will try and diet but end up going back to my old ways. I DO want to do the right thing, that is WHY I am on here asking for help. To find ways to help me get healthy. No offense but before you go pointing the finger at anyone you should take a step back and realize you don't know what goes on in my life. I am not sitting on my butt all day long, feeling sorry for myself because I'm overweight. I take care of my family, and have ALWAYS put them first, that is why my health isn't 100% BUT I am now ready to start putting me FIRST, because I know that I need to be healthy so I can live a good long life. You give good advice..just don't throw in your extra two cents.

totallywiggedout replied to sroberts08's response:
Sorry for my "tough love" there, but , I know where you come from. My parents were basic meat and potatoes people. My mom loved salads but for the life of me, unless she cut single servings and put them right on the plate, there wasnt a "salad dinner" . Which is fine, to this day, you gotta twist my arm to eat a salad or I have to be in a "salad mood".
Diet is a four letter word. Don't use it. That word has been thrown around so much and been hung like a yoke around heavy people for so long that we all just blank out when we see it or try to DO it. You are NEVER going to "diet" again. Dieting suggests that you have to follow a certain path, a one size fits all approach, in order to succeed. You don't.
There IS no perfect , wonder diet that works for everyone. There's a reason for that. We all eat differently. We all have our own likes and dislikes. That's why we come here to blog, share ideas and pick and choose what will work for OUR JOURNEY. My journey may resemble yours but , since my kids are grown and I'm older and I hate brussels sprouts and celery but you may like them, my journey won't be YOUR journey. It's extremely personal. You try some things, some new recipes, some different exercises, and you keep or discard as you please for what fits.
Most of us call it a journey, because that's what it resembles. A road that has turnoffs, where you pick right or left or straight ahead. But it's a neverending road. Even when you reach goal it's not like you are going to just go back to how you were eating before you started. You know why? Because like with every journey, you have seen and learned new things along the way which you will incorporate into a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.
I hang out mostly on the 50-100 lb community, it's way more active and lots of ppl are there on a daily basis. Come join us. We are supportive, loving and helpful.
We like to hear about everyone's journeys, how they are doing , and we help celebrate with you when you have a victory, either on scale or NSV (non scale victory) like when my bp went back to normal and I didn't have to be on meds anymore, or going from a size 13 undies to a loose 9.
But we also help hold you up, support you with anything that bothers you or if you hit a bad plateau. Blogging helps us to stay focused and everyone is welcome.
Come join us
Huggs
K

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers

totallywiggedout responded:
As for meals. I love to cook. LOVE it. Let me help you change some of your favorite meals with some better choices I will be more than happy to share some new recipes. I'm always dabbling. Trying to make some things that I like , healthier.
On the 50-100 lb site we have an open blog , last post was about a week ago i think, called Recipes. Some of us have shared some of our favorites . I can say for mine that those meals take 30 min or less, start to finish. The smoothies are filling, inexpensive and terrific tasting and extremely healthy.
I am on a fixed budget so I don't fix expensive meals. I aim for taste, nutrition , low cal, low fat and low sodium for my blood pressure. Most of mine are single serving as listed. You will have to adjust the ingredients for family.(if your kids are small, only add in , say 1/4 to 1/2 a serving more for both) as my servings will fill a plate.

Thank you so much for all your information. I'm sorry I took so long to respond back I hope my last message didn't seem mean. You are a mother and that was "tough love" so I do appreciate it. Its nice to know that I'm not alone in this. You opened my eyes about the diet word, your right it's a lifestyle change. Diets don't really work. I'm just so ready to shed these pounds lol! I seriously would love to lose 80lbs. My current weight is 275, I know its not going to happen over night. Is it normal to feel like"026ugh okay great now what do I eat? I was so use to eating horrible things, but things that tasted so good.
On a normal day for breakfast I will have two eggs, and two toast with butter, Then lunch will either be a turkey or tuna sandwich with a salad, or some sort of chicken. I'm not a big meat eater. Dinner is the hardest for me, I normally cook box dinners like hamburger helper, Mac n cheese and hot dogs, ect.. Someone told me don't eat 3 hours before you go to bed. Is that true? As far as snacks go, I know I shouldn't be eating this but I have been having Oatmeal cookies, cheese crackers, instead of fruit or veggies. I guess I'm worried that veggies are going to taste gross. I know that sounds childish but I don't know. I LOVE asparagus so if you know any easy, quick recipes or good things to snack on. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much and I'm sorry again about my last message. Take care and God Bless you!!
-Samantha

Hi Samantha, so glad I didn't friggen scare you away. I've been checkin in about 3xs a day to see if you came back. And , finally, here you are. OH HUGGS! Air kiss, Air kiss
After reading some of your foods, NOW I feel I can help you babycakes!
Ok . let's take the late snak thing first. From what I am gathering on this subject on the www, as long as it is a small healthy snack and is still within your daily calorie intake without making you go over, have it. The big thing with eating anything late, is u usually don't do any physical exertion AFTER to help burn it off. Unless you have marathon late night sex, then, by all means eat a good sized snak because you'll need it
A good rule of thumb that seems to work for me is, eat, rest for 20 min to digest then do some sort of exercise to "pay back" what you ate. That goes for meals AND snax.
My bf works in a shop and it gets hot. He gets out at 5pm but usually wants to eat dinner till around 7 or 8pm. Then usually around 930 10ish, I'll have a small snack. But , I don't usually go to bed till around midnight, so adjust accordingly. But my evening exercises go like this, fix/eat dinner, do dishes and cleanup, rest tummy, then play WII tennis for 35 min. Then i may fold some laundry or wipe down the bathroom, then for snack it could be 1/2 c fat free cottage cheese with 1/2 c "skinny fruits" pineapple chunks
sprinkled with 2 tblsp All Bran..... or 4 cups of airpopped popcorn sprayed with PAM butter flavored cooking spray and some light salt and a pkt of stevia (this sounds weird but tastes a little like kettle corn, salty sweet), or 2 c of watermelon cubes or 1 c of cantalope or 8-10 fresh strawberries with some Fat Free Redi Whip, or sugar free jello with FF Redi whip...... the list goes on and on, but you get the idea.
Your breakfast isn't all that bad hon. Not really. If you want two eggs, have one whole one and only the white of the other. IDK how you fix them, but if fried or scrambled, try to use PAM butter flavor spray to do it because it's calorie free. With the bread, you'll just have to go with one piece. Bread, ANY type , really doesn't give you as many nutrients as the calories warrent. You can use those calories someplace better. But, keep your butter on that toast to the very smallest you can stand. OR just use 1 1/2 tsp of sugar free jam and no butter. Less fats and calories that way. OR you can also spray your toast with PAM butter flavor. I love that stuff , it works everywhere.
Crackers really are your worst nightmare. They are little bits of nothing but carbs and fat. lol. Sorry. I DID find that those new little Triscuit Thins aren't too bad calorie wise though, IF you stay right at suggested serving size. Since you like cheese, try those little Laughing Cow triangles, the fat free swiss and the blue cheese only have 35 calories per wedge. Spread it really thin on your triscuit thins and it won't be a HUGE blasphemy. Otherwise look for FAT FREE cheeses, and those single serv string cheese thingys.
Your lunch, is ok, again, the bread should go by the wayside. Walmart carries these Heart Healthy Flax and Oat bran Pitas, back in Deli, These are only 60 calories for a WHOLE one and if you cut it in half an stuff your tuna , some lettuce or baby spinach and LOW FAT mayo, it cuts A LOT of calories off. Two reg slices of bread are 140 calories avg. this 1/2 pita pocket is 30. Get it?? Yeh
Don't forget that you can use romaine lettuce leaves to "wrap" your turkey or tuna salad in and you cut calories even more.
Your dinners sound like you are in a rush to get something on the table. But, what if I told you you could fix a whole dinner from scratch in about the same time frame? What if I then told you that your single serving of hamburger helper is SUPPOSED to be about 1 c...... ONE MEASELY CUP.
chk this blog

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523

it's 50-100 diet community, come join us over there if you want.... please.
huggs
k

SW 243 1/3/12 CW 186 Goal 135

I can't believe I ran outta room, NO MORE LETTERS.... I hate that, lol...... so , where was I?
Ok this is part 2 of that long winded response...
Everyone likes good tasting foods. Everyone gets stuck putting quicky things into their mouths that they shouldn't, like cookies, candies and cheetos. Its that sheer mindlessness, the fact that they ARE so darned grabable that makes them hard to resist. That's why I implore you to not buy them for awhile , until you get a good handle on the new improved way to eat. Have baby carrots, cold slightly poached asparagus, celery links, raw cut cauliflower and broccoli, and some cut cucumbers in zip lock bags on top shelf of fridge so you can grab them in EMERGENCY snack situations. I also like prunes , 3-4 while im fixing dinner can go a long way to staving off the hungry horrors till I sit down to eat.
As for your asparagus, I love it fresh, when I can get it, quickly poached till tender/crisp, then transferred to ice cold water to stop cooking process, Refridgerate, squirt some lemon and use a ff mayo/dijon mustard mix to dip in. mmmmmm
I like that you eat salads. But try this to cut a bunch of calories off. Thin your single serv of dressing with some water to make 2 servings, save one for later. DO NOT dump the dressing on the salad, instead , dip the very tips of the tines of your fork into it then spear some salad and eat it that way. I guarantee you will only use about 1-2 tsp of dressing for a WHOLE salad instead of the usual 1/4 cup that most ppl use if they just pour it on.

Totallywiggedout "026 Yeah I'm sorry I took so long!! I have two little ones so trying to get to a computer can be the hardest things at times haha. I love your personality, you make me smile! Thank you for all your information, you have opened my eyes and given me new things to try. I had no idea about the salad, I use to think " I can put whatever I want on this salad"026its better than eating a cheeseburger." But after the cheese, ranch, eggs, and whatever else it can add up. I guess the hardest thing for me is I tend to eat when I'm bored. But thanks to you, you have given me healthy snacks to choose from. I will defiantly be making a trip to the grocery store soon and getting rid of all the bad things in the house. If its not there I can't eat it. I will be checking out the blog you posted as well as checking in on the diet community. Thank you for all your help! Take Care and God Bless you <3

Hi hon, how old are your kids btw? This new eating plan is gonna be so good for them! Drink lots of water too, k? it helps to curb your appetite and to flush your system. At least 64 oz a day of good old fashioned water.
huggs
K

Spotlight: Member Stories

* Age: 47 * Location: FL * Height: 5"2 * Start Weight 280 * Goal Weight: 130 * Plan: dieting and working out

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.