Skip to content
Ready to make a change
An_249893 posted:
Hi.

This is my first post. I'm 22 years old and have struggled with my weight my whole life. I've always been the chunky kid and it's time to finally make a change. I went out and bought a scale yesterday and faced it for the first time in years. I weighed in at 380 pounds. It is so embarrassing. Other people my age are strong and healthy and I can't even go up the steps. I have to use an electric scooter to get around. The last time I went to my doctor was at age 18 when I was at 310 pounds, my whole life my doctor has told my parents they needed to make a change, but I snuck food and have fought them. I hit 100 pounds by the time I was 8 years old, was over 150 by 12 years, hit the 200+ mark by 15, and was into the 300s by 16. I have made an appointment for Friday with a new doctor to have a full work up and then will start making a change. I have tried every diet out there and they have all failed. I don't want to die. My joints ache, my heart races, and I can barely breath properly.

My BMI is 70.1, and I have to lose 260 pounds to be into the ideal range. I feel like it will never happen!

abnersmom responded:
Hi, sorry, I don't get over to this board much because it is never very active. Welcome! Great that you bought a scale! Are you logging your food now? I found that to be the most helpful tool when I first began my journey. I used the one on fitday.com, but there are many out there to choose from including the one here on WebMD.com If I can help/support you in any way, please let me know. I spend most of my WebMD time over on the 50-100 lb. community board which is very active, but I'll try to remember to check in here. You can do it!!!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

totallywiggedout responded:
I'm with Debbie, I hang on the 50-100 community site too. Come there. It's active and you will get all the support you want, even some you don't want, lol.
No really. We are a good , concerned group and it doesn't matter if you need to lose 3 lbs or 300. If the community fits, use it.
You could stay here, but ..... if you hear crickets in the night, lol, it's time to come over to our site
The dr appt is necessary to see how you stand and how you overall health is. That is a very good, first step.
In the meantime, start a food and fitness planner here on webmd or the one on fitday.com, or wherever you find one you like and start just by logging your foods as you eat them daily. but be "real" about it. Measure, don't guess about the portions you are serving yourself, and eating. This will give you an idea about how many calories you are taking in vs how many the planner says you SHOULD be. It's not embarrassing to log ... noone will see those numbers but you. Just do it for your own personal knowledge so that you can get to know your actual eating habits. Then after the dr appt, we can really begin to help you out with your journey
come on over to 50-100 you will find comfort and companionship and be welcomed with open arms....
tell us a bit about your daily menus right now, let us know your food likes and dislikes. if you shop and cook for youself... etc.
we would love to help you find the first foot holds on your journey.
huggs
kim
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers
SW 243 1/3/12 CW 186 Goal 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in CT, happily married, mom of 3 and grandma of 2. In my early 40's, very obese, and finding diets just didn't seem to work for me, I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.