Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Some Support
coffeeman0421 posted:
I am new to this discussion group. I need to lose about 100 lbs. Are there any nutrition resources available without having to pay for high cost weight loss programs? Thank you

totallywiggedout responded:
coffeeman, welcome!
First thing we always suggest is to fill out a food and fitness planner, here on WebMd, Fitday.com, Sparkpeople.com, and Livestrong.com , etc. have all got good, easy to use, FREE, online food and exercise journals that we use as tools and guidelines for our weightloss journeys.
Once you start one, and see how many calories and how much exercise to shoot for on a daily basis, you SLOWLY start out making small changes that you can live with. Forever.
A lot of us start by looking at and changing our foods, to include lower fat, sodium and sugar contents, and more raw fresh fruits and veggies. Eating a rainbow every day , helps to keep a nutritional balance.

This chart will help with the rainbow foods

Once you get your intake adjusted so that you are comfortable with it, then start adding some exercise. It's difficult already to change the way you eat, if you do that AND try to up your exercise, you may get overwhelmed and start to Yo Yo or quit altogether out of frustration.
Your dietary intake is 80% of a healthy lifestyle with 20% exercise to maintain healthy muscle tone .

Ditch the chips, the soda, the fruit juice and the high sodium "Gator" drinks.
Drink at least 64 oz of water a day or more. Eat a piece of fruit instead of drinking 3 fruit's calories and sugars. And understand that colas, even calorie free ones, are notorious diet busters.

Eat natural sugar substitutes, like stevia, honey, agave, etc.
Have REAL butter in small amounts vs ANY type of labratory made margarines
Switch from frying to Oven crisping with butter flavored cooking sprays or by using just a little of one of the several heart healthy oils, like Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut oil, grapeseed oil , etc
Don't think of your intake as MEALS per se, convince yourself it is better, and healthier to have 5-6 200-300 calorie "snacks." ---- this may seem weird at first but eat on small salad plates and use toddler bowls and cups for your foods. Looks like you get a full plate and you are actually cutting your intake by at least 1/3 from a reg plateful.

Now , when I say "snacks" I don't mean just yogurt, or chipa or something. Have a half a turkey sandwich made with 1 slice of wwheat , rye , pumpernickle or a ww lavash.... then stuff that with sliced cukes, gr pepper, onion, etc and slather on 1 wedge of Laughing cow Light cheese instead of mayo.... use mustard it's a good low cal topping too...... all this for about 200 calories.... throw in a couple good sized slices of tomato and a couple of florets of cauliflower for extra roughage... still under 300 calories and you are almost to your full rainbow in one "meal".

see? Easy!

good luck
kim
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers
SW 243 1/3/12 CW 186 Goal 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Raquel and I'am 22 years old i have been married for 3 years to my best friend and together for 4 years Im an ambulance dispatche...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.