Skip to content
Another newbie saying hello
thelovelyjd posted:
Hi All,

I'm sure there are/will be lots of newcomers to the boards with resolutions and such still going strong. I've been somewhat successful in weight loss in the past (lost around 85 lbs in just over 6 months) but gained it all back after some emotional/life setbacks.

I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been, and since I'm also the oldest I've ever been, it is really affecting my life. I've always been big, but this is just ridiculous and I know it.

I'm an attorney and have a full time non-legal job as well. I work all the time and as such, I ate out a lot. By the time I get home in the evenings I was too tired to care about what I was eating. My crazy schedule also led to a lot of late nights, early mornings, and little sleep. I've committed to changing all of that in the future. I can't make any money at all if I'm dead.

So, that being said, I'm around 400 pounds at the moment. I was around 375 when I started my prior weight loss experience and ended up around 285. I was quite happy at 285, but realizing that number is 115 pounds away is a cruel realization.

My initial goal is to get to 345 in the next five months. To up the ante and increase motivation, I've purchased a gift certificate for two float-tank sessions (the tanks have a 350 weight limit).

I broke my leg and tore my knee up about 7 months ago, so physical activities are still really, really rough. I'm starting very small-- parking further away, taking one flight of stairs, walking around the building at lunch, and doing water aerobics once a week. I also plan to go to a few Zumba classes and my goal is to complete at least 25 minutes of the class in the first two weeks. Baby steps.

Anyways.... that is me. Glad to be here... would love to meet others starting on their journey.

crisbear responded:
I'm new here as well. I can understand the work/weight problem. I've been a nurse for 40 years and mainly worked nights. I'd work hard all night then come home and eat a huge meal before going to bed. I gain almost 50 lbs in a year when I had to go away from home for a year to find work. I recently quit my job and came home to work on my health. I have a bad knee from all those years of nursing and the weight I'm sure as I'm 280 right now. I got an exercise bike as easier on the knee and working up slowly brief 10 minute sessions 2-3 times a day. I'm a big eater, big portions from the time I was younger and more active and still want to eat that way. I'm looking to get to 170. I've done it in the past but always gained it back. I eat emotionally and carbs set me off. I will be avoiding carbs as much as possible in the future because I get in trouble with them all the time. I'm not a soda drinker or sweet eater but love my bread, potatoes, and tortilla chips with cheese haha. Gotta stay away from these and exercise more. Hope we all can support each other. I can't relate to people with only 10-20 lobs to lose as I've lost that much over and over again its fairly easy. The amount we have to lose is a challenge.

markel4214 responded:
Hello Welcome. I am new to this as well. I have struggled with my weight all my life too. Tried every diet out there I would lose then gain it all back and more. I have over 125 lbs to lose. But this year I have finally decided that this is my year. No fad diet, pills or potions lol. I decided to eat healthy eat lots of veggies and protein. Stay away from take outs, drive thru and processed food. Drinking only water and exercising. Right now it's been 2 weeks going on my 3rd week so far so good. I joined the gym all alone something I would never do without a buddy. But I decided that was one of my excuse, a gym is for everyone that wants to be active and healthy no matter the size. I go 3 times a week for 30 mins to start then will increase it slowly. What you are doing is great, baby steps. It's better than what you were doing before. Keep it up! I would love to keep chatting with you and know how you are doing. We can motivate and help each other. Have a great Sunday talk to u soon

Spotlight: Member Stories

hi, everyone i just wanted to let everyone know how things are going. Lost 38 pounds so far. Got on a bike yesterday at the park with my kids. We all ...More

Helpful Tips

Warning: Ramblings
Had some good things happen this week that I wanted to share. Had 2 people I know tell me I look 10 years younger. I'm under 250 lbs. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.