Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newbie-- starting at 344.8 pounds:
californiakayla posted:
Hi there,[br>
[br>I'm Kayla-- nice to meet you all.[br>[br>Very much looking forward to participating in this support group, because I've realized I need to surround myself with a healthy culture in order to be successful at permanent and sustainable weight loss.[br>[br>Currently, my stats are 5'10", 344.8 pounds, in a woman's size 24W pant. About two years ago, I auditioned for "The Biggest Loser," and made healthful changes to lifestyle after deciding not to go through the with unsafe and drastic weight loss contractual obligations after making it in to the final 50 candidates; really frightening, scripted stuff is at play there, and I didn't want to subject myself to a nationally syndicated meat market.[br>[br>Over the course of a year, I worked my body into the 200-club and was running a "5k a Day." Life threw a serious curveball-or-three at me, and in less than ten months, I've completely reverted back to my old habits of take-away food for nearly every meal (so expensive!), and little to no physical activity, resulting in a sixty pound weight gain in this short time period; mathematically working out to about 2 pounds per week.[br>[br>I'm making an appointment with a psychologist, because it is clear that the eating habits reflect an underlying condition as the binge eating is admittedly uncontrollable. My current day-to-day work/life balance is absolute insanity, and I need an outlet to discuss healthier behaviors, or I'm at serious risk for cardiovascular coronary disorders in the very near future: two full-time jobs (one of which is high profile in the performing arts), and studying in the medical field… has created an exceptionally high-strung/over scheduled daily book literally 24/7.[br>[br>Essentially it comes down to several very important points:[br>
  • I'm in my mid-twenties: need to have my weight under control as soon as humanly possible, or else I will see dire consequences as I age. So far? Aside from psychological issues, the weight, thankfully, has had very little effect on my physical state, but with the last ten months of weight gain, it is apparent that my frame is under too much stress. My legs are really the worse for wear right now. At the dentist last Thursday, I was mortified when the hygienist took my blood pressure and said, "Wow, your BP is incredible considering how big you are!" Backhanded compliments… hurt.
  • In being apart of the medical field, and likewise the performing arts, it is critical to have weight under control just from the image perspective. To be honest (albeit painful to admit), being heavy in the medical world as well as PA is hugely taboo; very much frowned upon. I don't want my peers in post-grad to silently judge anymore. I just want to be respected for good research, not seen as "the smart Fat Girl."
  • I really would love to have a family in the next ten years, and I absolutely don't want to be the morbidly obese mom; I want to put the framework in place *now* in order to have a healthful future. Not only for my own well-being, but of that for a family. My worst nightmare are future children having to go through what I did as an obese child-- and I am determined to do whatever it takes to avoid this.
[br>So that's the backstory! Giving myself 24 solid months to do this at even and healthful pace and then hopefully will be a maintenance point; starting today I'm going to bring that food diary back into my daily life and force at least twenty minutes of cardio activity until I'm back in the habit of a) awareness of my consumption, and b) the "working out" culture. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; you get fit in the gym… any health professional will spell it out. Eating habits; clean, healthy, eating habits, are essential to maintaing weight. No fad diets. Just being accountable for what you put in your mouth and incorporating some movement, 80/20.[br>[br>Looking forward to interacting with you all here,[br>[br>All best,[br>K

californiakayla responded:
Sorry about the auto formatting"026 it is sort of difficult to read! Apologies...

bigred53 replied to californiakayla's response:
Hey Kayla!! I think you need to stay over on the other community. We are very active over there and this place is very slow.

I usually come over her to invite people to the 50 to 100 pound diet club.

Michelle

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mom to a 11 year old child with autism. I have always had a weight problem but through a traumatic time in my life I let it get out of c...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.