Skip to content
Just Joined
lougeno posted:
Need amount of calories to eat per day as well as how many carbs, protein, sodium, fat, sugars to eat per day. I am so confused and feel so alone in my battle to lose weight, I need to lose 200 pounds. Looking for a nutritional diet that deals with diabetes. Can anyone help me?

evie_07 responded:
Hi there. I see this post is old so I hope you have had some luck in losing weight and managing your diabetes. My suggestion to you would be to write down the foods you eat every day for 3-7 days without changing your diet. Ideally use a calorie counting app or website that can show you how much of your diet is from protein, carbs and fat. Lower your intake of food. It takes eating 500 calories less a day (or burning the calories off via exercise ) than what your body actually needs to lose weight.

For example my body uses approximately 1400 calories a day just to keep my body running and to be able to breathe and perform normal functions, this is called bmr. I am 5'6" and 133 lbs; the taller and heavier you are the higher your bmr you can find a calculator online to find your bmr. The more active you are means you can consume more calores while maintaining or losing weight but it is important not to over estimate the calories u burn or underestimate the ones you consume.

As far as balancing your diet with diabetes I am no expert. I would utilize a book like choose your foods if you don't already, it is all based on food exchanges to keep a balanced diet and minimize blood sugar spikes.

The only experience I have with diabetes is what I have learned so far in nutrition classes but I have experience losing weight, not as much as you need to lose but still.

Here is a website that can help you understand carb counting, menu planning, and eating a balanced diet.http://www.joslin.org/info/Carbohydrate_Counting_101.html

tess2010 replied to evie_07's response:
I also see that this post is a bit old, I hope you are still checking in. I am overweight and have T2 diabetes. I work with a dibetes educator/ nutritionist every year to help me keep up and support to keep on improving my situaton. Most insurance plans allow you to do this as part of your treatment. Check it out.

If you have access to the internet on a daily basis, there are so many web sites to help you capture your daily intake, sometimes that can be overwhelming. This site on WebMD has a very good one for tracking food, weight and exercise. There is another site that trackes BG measuremnts SparkPeople plus all of your food and exercise. Both of these web sites give you ideas, encouragement and support.

I had worked on getting my medication and BG on course last year, that I am focusing this year to get weight loss going much better. (Yes I said a year) It takes time and I too was looking for some magic even from my nutritionist. Her words were starkly simple. Your summary from what you do on a daily and weekly basis and start reducing by 200 calories a day. Keep the ratio of fat, carbs and fiber in mind in your assessments.

The other stark fact that we are working on is MOVING more and after meals. This does not mean you are preparing for the olymipics, it means increase every day. Small steps. It is the movment that helps distribute internal insulin and glucose to your body muscles instead of your fat. (this makes me happy and encourages me to "do it". As an example I take a walk after lunch for 18 minutes. I walk to my office the long way to move my breakfast. I get outside to do my evening walk. I also keep a weighted bar in my office and do 10 reps in curl and press fashion. Just keep moving your muscles. Take a look at your totals for a week and see if your are making progress in food and exercise. Then do it again the next week and look for your progress. One thing that has made me really look at how little I was moving was a simple pedometer. I was only getting 1600 to 2,000 steps a day.. and this is going to and from work. Eye opener.

Good luck keep on keeping track and each week is a new success.

Spotlight: Member Stories

It wasnt until my early 20's that I started having issues with weight gain. I had always been curvy and a "plus" size but I was a runner...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.