Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dieting Success
sb3482 posted:
Hello, I'm new to this board but I thought I would post about my success so far in hopes to give others encouragement. I started my diet on January 5th, I'm not doing any specific diet but I am cutting back, eating the right foods, and lessening my portions. Basically, I'm eating 6 small meals a day. This is a good way to take off the weight, but not so fast that you'll gain it back easily. So far I have lost 12lbs, I'm currently at 262lbs. and hope to be down to 160-150 sometime next year. I have found that many fad diets are just that, a fad. I've lost weight with pills, supplements and shakes, but I also gained it back very quick. I hope not only am I able to give encouragement to others, but also I know I'll have some down times so I'm hoping to get some encouragement on here as well. I'll leave you with my saying that I have adjusted to and come to understand in my diet journey: "I didn't put this weight on overnight, and I'm not gonna take it off overnight" - Patience is definitley a virtue when it comes to dieting. Thanks, Stephanie

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Stephanie! Thanks for sharing your success. I hope you will keep us updated and allow us to help support you in your weight loss journey. Can you share what a typical day of your 6 meals looks like? I am helping my mom lose weight-she is elderly, seriously overweight and has other health problems including diabetes. She needs to eat 6 meals a day to keep her blood sugar on track, but often I have trouble thinking outside the three meal box.

sb3482 responded:
Hi Louise...thanks for the offered support...I'm sure down the road I'm gonna need it! :grin: My day typically looks like this: Breakfast: 1 Oatmeal packet or Breakfast Bar (Nutrigrain) or Cereal (Smart Start usually)-1 of those and piece of fruit, usually a banana or some pineapple chunks. Snack: A piece of fruit or a 100 calorie pack Lunch: Smart Ones (Weight Watchers meal) and some carrots or low fat chips. Or 2 Lean Pockets and a piece of fruit or vegetable Snack: Fruit or 100 calorie pack (I usually save my sweet 100 calorie pack for after lunch) or for variety, I'll have a bag of popcorn. Dinner: Chicken Breast with Italian Dressing or Green Peppers and Onions, a vegetable and a starch (usually a baked potato). I also eat Hamburger Helper, if I do, I have some on a saucer plate (so I don't eat as much of it) and a side salad. HINT: A good substitute for butter and salt and sour cream on a baked potato is salsa. It is really good on a baked potato and doesn't have as many calories or fat. I drink a lot of water during my day, and usually a diet soda with my evening meal. There are so many options and I really don't feel like I deprive myself because I'm still eating some things that aren't that great for me, but I just eat less of them. I have found that if I feel like I'm depriving myself of something, I will fail the diet. So I have refused to deprive myself. Like I said, I've been doing this since January 5th and lost 12lbs, I have also been excerising with my new Wii Fit. My doctor is extremely happy with my progress and how I'm doing it. I hope that helps. Thanks again! Stephanie

Rgulen responded:
Thanks for sharing your tips Stephanie. I started adopting healthier habits myself on January 5th. My primary change has been to move more. I get up every morning and walk 2 miles. I also purchased a Wii console and Wii Fit and will use that for strength training and flexibility. From a food perspective, I focused more on foods I should eat in great quantities and less on foods that I should not eat.. I start seeing a new primary care physician to determine any special health considerations into my plan. Rg

sb3482 responded:
How awesome is the Wii Fit? LOL...I love it! As far as food goes, I have eaten horribly pretty much my entire life. I know habits are hard to break, and trust me, I'm not good at breaking habits. I do eat alot of healthier foods, but I will occasionally sneak in the bad food for two reasons: 1. If I don't, i'll feel like I'm depriving myself and 2. I've tried to rationalize this, eating less is better than eating more, obviously. So basically if I watch my portions, I'm in good shape. I praise you for your will power! I have a friend who cut out sweets and fried foods altogether, she had that will power, but sadly I can say that I don't. Ahhh well, maybe one day.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I love the Wii Fit! I am working on actually getting my Advanced Step score higher!

sb3482 responded:
I just unlocked the Free Step. I'm interested in giving it a try tonight.

irisheyes213 responded:
Congrats on the weight loss so far! Sounds like you have a good plan. Keep at it and welcome to the board! Deb

VenusEnvy53 responded:
Hello to everyone on Board already... I am the "Newbie of the day" SB reading your post and those that replied was just what I needed!! I have been anxious to start a Healthy Choice Life Plan and I just finished some major health issues that consumed most of the past year. Now that I am feeling better I am LQQking forward to begin this new Life Plan. I look forward to all the help and encouragement I can get. Success to all!

Rgulen responded:
Welcome VenusEnvy! We are happy to help. Glad to hear that you are feeling better and ready to tackle lifestyle changes. Rg

LoveandLuck responded:
Sounds like you are making all the right changes. I've been sticking to about 6 meals a day, healthier eating, and moderate exercise for almost a year now with a weight loss of 75 pounds so far. So it does work! I've found that I need to combine carbs, fats, and proteins at every meal - even the snacks- to keep me feeling full and satisfied. Some snacks I enjoy include - Some wheat thins with light cream cheese An apple with cinnamon and 1 tbs pnut butter (I get the organic kind sweetened with honey or cane sugar - no high fructose corn syrup) Diet/sugar free/fat free hot coco with cinnamon and/or light cool whip and a few almonds A sugar free chocolate pudding cup, 1/2 banana with a tab of pnut butter String cheese rolled in one slide ot lean sliced turkey and a fruit Yogurt with a few teaspoons of sunflower seeds

twin67 responded:
Hi Stephanie, I am new to this board and just wanted to let you know that after reading your note I feel that I can go at my weight lost problems as well. I just started today so wish me luck lol I can use all the help that I can get in starting with my weight lost. I will eat 6 small meals a day as well. I just had a major surgery and know that I am doing great, I really want to start losing the weight. Thanks for all the help that I hope will sure to come. Yvonne

irisheyes213 responded:
I just wanted to say welcome to the board and please feel free to jump in, ask questions, and particpate in the board. We look forward to hearing about your journey. 6 small meals is a good way to go. I hope that you recover quickly from your surgery. Good Luck, Deb

irisheyes213 responded:
Just wanted to say welcome and Jump on in! We would love to hear how you are doing with your plan. Good Luck, Deb

DCG18 responded:
Hi Stephanie; I agree with your saying concerning patience. Im looking for someone to talk to when Im fighting the "URGE" to eat on impulse. I think I have tried everything I know to try and am having a hard time letting "Today" be the day I start anew to eat more healthfully. Right now my weight is up to 306 and I really need someone to be accountable with and also some encouragement to get with it AGAIN!!! Sincerely, Charmaine

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 47 married with no kids but a farm full of animals. I am very tall about 6'1" and at my heaviest weight I weighed 300 in January 2010. I...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.