Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Year-New Roll Call
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
Introduce yourself: Name or name you want to go by on the board Goal for 2010 Reason(s) this is the year you will get/stay serious about a healthy lifestyle Design your own diet or Choosing one off the shelf preplanned for you. How much do you weigh today? Anything else you want to share about yourself, your own hopes for the year or your hopes for this community this year.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

moneill9 responded:
Hello, My name is Meg. My goal for 2010 is to become a healthier human being all together. I plan to loose weight by exercise and watching what I eat. I hope to build up my stamina! I would like to be able to run three miles at a time by the end of this year! My Dad has recently lost weight and is training for "Bike to the Point" That is Cedar Point. You ride your bike 75 to Cedar Point spend the night at a hotel there and ride home the next day. I would like to be in better shape by the end of 2010 so I can start training to do this with him. By the end of this year I will be comfortable in my own skin. Even if I am not at my goal weight, I will view myself as important! Its going to be a great year for me! The reason why I am serious this year... I recently was able to take a step back and look at what my life has become! I don't leave the house often, other than school and work. I realized that my excuse for why I don't go out with friends on the weekend is because I have nothing to wear. That is such a horrible excuse! I need to do something about it! If I lost some weight I would have a much larger wardrobe. I also want to be a Mom one day! I don't want to miss out on life with my kids because I don't have the energy to take them on walks or to the park or on bikerides through metroparks. This is why I won't fail! I am fed up and disgusted with myself! No one can do this for me! I am done feeling sorry for myself! It's now or never! :grin: My diet plan... I am starting out slow so that I don't get frustrated and quit. I will eat a vegetable or fruit at every meal. I will make sure to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I dont have bad snacks at my house any more. I will snack on almonds or fruit if I 'm hungry. I also will sit down and eat three meals a day instead of picking throughout the day. I am going to write what I eat or drink in my food journal. In a month I will look at the average amount of calories I consumed in a day and slowly start to reduce them. I usually fail at diets because that is just what they are, diets. They aren't meant to be for the rest of your life! I am making true lifestyle changes! I am going to take my time and not weigh myself three times a day. That always makes me mad! I know in my head that our bodies weight fluctuatesdaily but it is so hard to be that reasonable when you are working so hard and know that you have a long way to go! I just weighed myself and I am at the highest I have ever been. 295.6 :sad: I am 22 years old! I don't want to waste anymore time of my life being fat! I will suceed! I wish everyone else luck! We all can do this! I am grateful that I stumbled across this website! I need support and I am exciting to be a support to others as well! Goo dluck everyone! 2010 is our year!

Rgulen responded:
Rg transplanted to Houston, TX. In 2009, I started a walking program around my neighborhood and I walk 3 miles most mornings, I bought a bike to travel to the local park's outdoor pool and swam laps to escape the summer heat and started a yoga program with a heavy focus on deep relaxation. In 2010, I will add strength training to my routine. I also plan to make more vegetarian meals and eat more fish. I am not dieting. I am doing lots of reading and trying out lifestyle changes that I can adopt for a lifetime. I currently fluctuate between 263.5 and 268.5 which is at least 50 pounds from where I started in January 2009. I weighed 266.5 this morning. I look forward to reading the future posts of board members. Rg

irisheyes213 responded:
Name or name you want to go by on the board: b Deb Goal for 2010 b get to my wedding weight and then hopefully to the weight I met my DH at Reason(s) this is the year you will get/stay serious about a healthy lifestyle b Not getting any younger and I am tired of not making any progress Design your own diet or Choosing one off the shelf preplanned for you. b Design own to reduce carbs How much do you weigh today? b Umm... I have decided to wait until Wednesday (day of my long awaited Endo followup) to weigh in Anything else you want to share about yourself, your own hopes for the year or your hopes for this community this year. b I hope that we can see a growth in the number of regular posters around here.

Marci320 responded:
Hey everyone. Happy New Year! My name is Marci and my goal for 2010 is to lose weight so I can attend a reunion weekend in late July/early August. I started on January 4th, kind of messed up that day after dinner, and then found this site after my little binge. Yesterday I started using the Food & Fitness Planner on WebMD and eating the number of calories they recommend for my weight and have done fine so far. After watching the new Biggest Loser last night, I finally bit the bullet and weighed myself this morning. I thought I'd gained a lot of holiday weight but found that I still weighed the same as I had when I last weighed months ago. So, my starting weight is 323 (sigh) and I really want to get under 200 for the reunion--even if it is 199 and 3/4. I also want to lose weight for myself and my health as well. I have a 19 year old son and I want to be around for his wedding, grandkids, etc. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do for exercise. I'm pretty much a weakling at the moment and get out of breath easily. I got tired just watching the exercise on Biggest Loser last night. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone better and losing weight together! :sillygrin:

Rgulen responded:
Hi Marcie. Welcome to our board. Walking is an exercise that most can do. Last year I walked my block. Then the block twice. I now walk 3 miles most mornings at a good pace. Starting out, 3 ten minute walks are as beneficial as 1 thirty minute one. I lost 50 pounds in 2009 and this was my main change. I think it is important to do something most days rather than work hard one day and risk injury. Good Luck. Rg

irisheyes213 responded:
Welcome Marci. My best suggestion is start slow. You can do leg lifts and crunches on your bed instead of on the floor in the beginning. Try doing weight training exercises without any weights at first, then add either light dumbbells or things like bottles of water, canned goods, etc. Try marching in place during commercial breaks of your favorite shows or for 5 min every hour etc. Again, welcome to the board, Deb

moneill9 responded:
Welcome to the board Marci! :grin: I too, believe that walking is a great way to get started! It doesn't necessarily mean out side! I personally like to walk in place in my apartment! That is until I feel comfortable enough with myself to let others see me walk! I have major self esteem issues! :sheepish: Sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep it up! Let us know how you are doing! Meg

Marci320 responded:
Thanks for the all the welcomes and the advice! Hope you are all having a good week so far. Mine has been good but the downside is the weekend. I do great at work and not so good evenings and weekends. I did find a way to exercise though--I have an old exercise bike that I dusted off and have been doing 15 minutes of riding a day. I want to do that twice a day if I can find the time and then add some other exercise in as well as I get stronger. I am also happy to report that I did not ditch my new eating plan after eating a piece of red velvet cake last night that a friend of mine made from scratch, and also found a good meal to eat last night when we went to Denny's on the spur of the moment. I made my own "slam" of egg whites, fruit, turkey bacon and an English muffin with a little grape jelly (no butter other than the butter in the egg whites). I ended up weighing myself this morning because I was SO nervous about that darn piece of cake and I've lost 4 pounds since I weighed myself on Wednesday morning. My goal is to be under 300 by my birthday (March 20th) so I'm on my way! Hope you all have a great weekend. Marci

moneill9 responded:
Good job Marci! You should be proud of yourself! Keep it up! Meg

toby184 responded:
Hi my name is toby184. I picked this screen name because it represents two new things in my life. Toby is my new dog's name, who will be my walking partner and 184 is my healthy goal weight. I have come on this board looking for an outlet for the struggle that I will be facing. I have tried diets before alone without a sounding board and I was not successful. Hopefully I can talk to people going through some of the same things and help them and receive a little help myself. My weight is 312 pounds. My healthy weight would max out at 184. My goal for 2010 is to loose 2 pounds a day and get into an exercise plan that will help me be successful. I have always struggle with my weight. It has been a problem from my childhood. Every member of my family has suffered from being over weight. My mother has had heart related problems and my father passed away from a sudden heart attack. I was with him when he fell down dead. His heart burst and died before he hit the ground. I realize that my future lies on the same path if I cannot get the weight problem under control. I am obese. I want to be healthy. :angry:

toby184 responded:
:smile: Hi Marci, I weighed myself and the spinning dial landed on 312 :sad: It is a hard thing to start and stay with a program. I am planning on getting my exercise from doing things different around the house and at work. At home I plan on walking on the path between my house and my sister's house. If I do this four times a day for thirty minutes each time this will help. I am on my feet all night at work so I will try and find ways to go up and down stairs and taking the long way to the break room. There are exercises that you can perform from a chair and from a lying down position. You might want to try these so you can condition yourself to the strain on the muscles. Remember that when we exercise the next day we will be sore in places we never thought about. :goofy: I wish you all of the success in the world. Hope to read about your progress.

irisheyes213 responded:
Welcome Toby184. Have you decided on a plan of attack to help you meet your goal of 2lbs per week? Check out the FAQ's and a few of the intro posts for some ideas. We hope that you decide to continue your journey with us. Feel free to ask questions, express successes, and vent as necessary. Good Luck, Deb

Marci320 responded:
Welcome toby184! First of all, I have to ask what kind of dog Toby is. Secondly, we sound pretty similar in our weights and issues. I weigh 315 (down from 323--YAY!). My parents were both overweight and my father died from complications from diabetes. I've decided I want to be here for my son and future grandchildren and I have to get healthy in order to do that. For me right now, I'm simply making up an eating plan here on WEB MD which is counting calories based on my height and weight. It lets me plan out my meals and so far it is working well. As for exercise, I have a stationary bike at home that at this point I'm doing 15-20 minutes on a day, and I can do about 6 minutes of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds before I have to stop. My short term goal is to get through that tape! You will find lots of support here so you came to the right place. Keep us updated on your progress and I look forward to the day when we are both under 300 pounds! Marci

toby184 responded:
Toby is a blue tick beagle puppy. He helps keep me moving when I am walking around the farm. It really helps to have something to keep you occupied when you are trying to exercise. My short term goal would be to tackle the urge to eat out of the vending machine at work. I work the night shift so it is easy to pick up a snack instead of eating properly. I plan on fixing a healthier lunch to battle the urge. I am on my feet for eight hours a night. I am a warehouse supervisor for a major retail chain so I have a lot of ground to cover. This is why I am not any heavier than I am. I look forward to the day of being able to feel comfortable in my own skin. :grin:

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 47 married with no kids but a farm full of animals. I am very tall about 6'1" and at my heaviest weight I weighed 300 in January 2010. I...More

Helpful Tips

Warning: Ramblings
Had some good things happen this week that I wanted to share. Had 2 people I know tell me I look 10 years younger. I'm under 250 lbs. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.