Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Help!
Tea10 posted:
Hello everyone. I did not know this support was out there. I admit, I need help. My doctor told me the other day I need to lose 100 lbs.. Well, easier said than done. I know how to lose weight but I don't have any motivation. I need help. I don't know where to turn. I have a huge appetite, always have and I am in my 50's. I have been overweight most of my life. I know I have to do something or die youngish. All suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

pizzacakes17 responded:
Well first off I wanted to welcome you to the board.

You can research some things on the internet but here's what has helped me. There lot's of diets and exercise programs out there but you have to find one that fits for you. They say walking is the best exercise and to aim for about 10,000 steps a day (you can get a pedometer to count for you). If you have joint issues though, they say that swimming is the best exercise. Either way, you have to find one that fits for you.

First starting off I did a baby step of just changing the food. I switched from eggs to egg whites. Hamburger meat to Jennie-O lean ground turkey, hamburgers to Jennie-O turkey burgers, sausage to Jennie-O sausage. Yes I am a fan of Jennie-O lol. Basically I found out that turkey is a lot lower in fat and other bad stuff then red meat. Saturated fat is a big no-no for me. I also switched to whole wheat instead of white bread. I found some double fiber whole wheat english muffins that I love. Also I switched the peanut butter to a natural one. You'll have to learn how to read ingredients as well. I also added fruits and veggies to every meal and snack.

Then after losing 10 lbs, I tried reducing some portion sizes.

You'll have to find what works for you but believe me, baby steps works. I tried to jump the gun at first and ended up sabatoging myself.

I wish you luck and again welcome to the board, you are in the right place

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Tea! You've found just the right place. In just the past couple of months at least two of our members hit the 100 lbs shed mark!

Check out the Newcomer Tips and jump on in. The most successful people post regularly for support and accountability.

Tea10 replied to pizzacakes17's response:
Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate your input. You had some really helpful tips. You are definitely right about baby steps. I will never forget what Richard Simmons said one time - "just walk around the block." Well it has cooled off this week in Texas so I started my walking program again. So here I go with the baby steps! Thanks so much!

Tea10 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for the "welcome." You are correct in my finding the right place. Thanks again, Tea

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 52 yrs old and now weigh more than I ever did! I am disgusted with myself and yet can't seem to stop my bingeing on cookies. I am a Type 1 di...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.