Skip to content
How to Lose 100 Pounds or More
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
This article by Michael Dansinger, whom you may know from The Biggest Loser, but who also is one of our Diabetes Health Professionals here at WebMD talks about How to Lose a Lot of Weight.
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

RachaelK01 responded:
One of the things mentioned in the article was 7 hours of excercise per week as part of a weight loss plan. I know that doesn't sound like that much but I am not sure that I am capable of even an hour of exercise at a time. Does anyone have any advice on how effective it would be to break that time up into 15 or 20 minute increments? Like walk the dog for 20 min and lift weights for 20 minutes a couple of hours later, etc.

Marci320 replied to RachaelK01's response:
I think I have yet to do 7 hours of exercise a week. I am up to 30 minutes a day on my exercise bike (up from my original 5 minutes a day when I started--seriously) and other than doing laundry, shopping or things like that, I don't get more than 3 and a half hours per week and I have lost over 40 pounds since the beginning of the year. I will probably step up my exercise at some point because I do have a lot of weight to lose and a long way to go, but for now this is working for me.

As far as your question about when and how long to exercise, I think your idea is great to do an hour's worth of exercise throughout the day rather than all at one time (I may use that myself!) I know I would find a complete hour of exercise at one time a little overwhelming to say the least and probably difficult for me at my weight. But that is just me. You need to find what works for you.

In any event, I wish you luck! Please update us on how you are doing.

Marci

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to RachaelK01's response:
Those 7 hours can be 10 min at a time or 15 min at a time. It doesn't have to be an hour all at once. So, you definitely can do what you describe. The idea is to jut get moving.

feduptwice replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
ok i do exercise 7 hours a week,actually in 6 days.Sunday is my day off. But what about the food? how strict my diet has to be? I bet 7 hours burns a lot of calories so could i eat more than just 1200 cals?

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to feduptwice's response:
Are you losing more than 2 lbs a week? If so, you could add around 200 and see if you still lose at that calorie level. (at least in my non-professional opinion) The number of calories for the 7 hours really varies on intensity, your current weight, etc.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, everyone! I have weighed more than twice as much as normal since the age of 2. I have had many short-lived attempts at reducing, but always gai...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.