Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
New Year-New Roll Call
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
Introduce yourself:

Name or name you want to go by on the board

Goal for 2010

Reason(s) this is the year you will get/stay serious about a healthy lifestyle

Design your own diet or Choosing one off the shelf preplanned for you.

How much do you weigh today?

Anything else you want to share about yourself, your own hopes for the year or your hopes for this community this year.

barbara4u responded:
Hi Louise,

Thank you for having this roll call. I have been surfing the weight loss sites for a few mos., now.

My name is Barb. I had breast cancer in 2008. Am doing good after the surgery for that.

Sort of sidelined my weight. Managed to put on 30 lbs. Turned to food for comfort. Abandonded my workouts.

I weigh 166. Am 5 ft 4 in.

Goal: To lose 30 lbs.

I know my food portions are too large. I am ok with veggies and eat a variety. I can't control my self with chips,though.

I have to get back into the habit of exercising.

Reason(s): I have alot of clothes that don't fit. My knees will feel better. The cancer rate is higher for over weight people. These are a few of the things that came to mind.

Wishing all a happy &healthy 2010!!

ps It will be nice to hear what others have to say.

memyselfandi19 responded:
Leah- 21 Years old, Working as a paralegal, I have RSD in my feet and PCOS. I want to get down to 140.. .. I feel better when I am healthier and I have more periods since I lost weight so I want to keep going if I can avoid being on meds when i get to the point of wanting kids.

Not sure y 2010 because every year I say that I am going to be better. I was 162 lbs in 08, had surgery and couldnt walk for a long while went up to 184 as of Septermbeter. Now I am back to 160 after several months of working hard but I kind of lost momentum over the holidays. I want to get back into things and start losing again. I weigh 160.

Asill responded:
Good day all. My name is Asill. I am here because I think this will help keep me motivated. I have said many times that I am going to exercise and eat better starting tomorrow but tomorrow never comes. I had back surgery a few years ago and have used that as a crutch also. This year I am going to be successful. I am currently around 180lbs and 5'5". My goal is around 130. Hopefully we can keep each other motivated and all have a successful year.

foodsensitive responded:
Sue here.

I find myself in an interesting situation. I was diagnosed last year with multiple food sensitivities including wheat, corn, rye, barley, rice, oats, gluten, casein, soy, whey, eggs and who knows what else. Explains why I've had stomach trouble and weight issues all my life!! I was always confused when people said a nice bowl of, say, oatmeal would stick with you all morning - withing an hour of eating something like that, I would experience what I thought was the "HUNGRY HORRORS" and the feeling that "if I don't eat something I'm gonna die" so I'd have something else to eat, when in reality I was experiencing a negative reaction to a particular food. I'm wondering if people like me who seem hungry all the time are actually experiencing food allergy/sensitivity and not true hunger. So now I'm pretty much limited to vegetables, fruit and meat, which is all healthy, but I'm having trouble planning, especially breakfast - mostly I have potatoes or fruit, but it's just not as satisfying as eggs & toast! Haven't had a bowl of cereal or any milk in almost a year either. I get so frustrated and depressed with such limited options. Fortunately I do love veggies, but they're just not filling.

At diagnosis I weighed 207.5 (I'm 56 and 5'8"), currently at 188 with a goal of 145. My stomach is better but still not behaving well.

Is anyone else dealing with issues like this? Also, any thoughts/suggestions about foods to add to or delete from my menu plan would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading my post

ktkittykat57 responded:
Hello Asill! My name is Katie. I wanted to respond to your post because it sounds like you and I have similar goals. I'm also around 180lbs and 5'5'' tall. I've been trying slowly to lose weight but I've only been gaining more and losing a little. This is the year I want to be serious about weight loss. I hope we can support eachother to reach our goals. Mine is 130lbs too!

ktkittykat57 responded:
My name is Katie, my goal for 2010 is to lose weight by exercising and eating good food. I want to become healthy while I am young and maintain health throughout life while I raise my family one day. I have been slowly making better decisions about my health but have not been losing weight. My boyfriend has also gained weight in the same time and amount that I have. Together we made the decision to lose weight seriously and work hard towards being healthier and making ourselves better for each other. We've each received comments from family and each others family on our weight gain, it hasn't always been polite. I'm ashamed to say how much I weight right now. But it is over my recommended BMI and my goal is to reach 130lbs. It's going to be hard but I hope I can find helpful tips and make this a fun so I don't quit. Keep me accountable!

dship responded:
Hi, today is my first day on any message board. My goal for 2010 is to become the healthiest, fittest, and strongest person I can be. My reason for weight loss is not vanity (although looking better is a great thing!) I want to continue to lose weight because of a bad knee, as well as all the other health benefits of losing weight! Beginning weight 238. Current weight 198. Goal weight 170.

ktkittykat57 responded:
Hi Sue! Your story really touched me. I can only relate a little though I'm sorry. I have IBS, which limits my consumption of a few food I really like. My worst three triggers for abdominal pain and bathroom troubles are pizza, coffee, nuts, or anything with a high fat content. I actually have been to the ER before I found out what was wrong because the pain was so intense. Now I call them IBS attacks. I'd imagine they are like your "hungry horrors." I find it most difficult when my friends order pizza (which is often cause I'm a college kid) or when we go to a coffee house. I can only imagine what you must go through with all your sensitivities. For awhile my doctor had me ignore the foods that are almost exactly the same as your list. That was hard, but only for a short while. My only suggestion is create a unique salad that has everything you like in it. I like making homemade salad dressings the most. Mandarin oranges and strawberries are great surprise salad toppings. Do fun things with your fruits and veggies like making homemade Popsicle with strawberry puree and orange juice. Can you have yogurt? I make homemade frozen yogurt Popsicles with whole blueberries and it always is a great craving filler for me. I really hope that some part of this helps or bring comfort to you. We're in this together!

Calla2010 responded:
Hi, I'm Calla. My goal is to drop fifty pounds. I'm 188 now and yesterday I realized if I start this week, I could possibly take off all the excess by Christmas.

My ultimate goal is to avoid the heart disease that runs in my family. Other motives are less soreness in my feet and knees, finding clothes more easily and cheaply, and of course looking good.

I had made up my mind to join Weight Watchers at the end of the week. However, if I can spend that hour or two a week planning and recording meals, and the $40 a month saving for smaller clothes, I think I'll be happier. I've lost weight on my own before, but this time I feel I need some kind of support.

Best of luck!

Rona2010 responded:
Hello Louise,

My name is Gale (Rona2010)

My personal goal starting off 2010 is to loose 50 lbs by August, another 20lbs or more before next year.

My reason for change is I'm feedup. Plain and simple. I really need to get busy with a cardio workout and commence to eating healthy. I really just finally made up mind - done with the excuses.

My present weight is 257.

I've incorporated a food journal, daily 30 minute workouts and portion control. I know this won't be easy, nor a quick process loosing the weight... but I've finally ran out of excuses!

ready2live responded:
Hello Louise,

My name is Cheryl, age 51 and my weight loss goal is 50 lb by July.

I need to get serious about my weight because I've been steadily gaining weight since I went through menopause at an early age of 40. I spent my entire 40's being overweight. I didn't know how to handle it because I never had a problem with weight in my earlier years. I'm afraid the extra weight around my mid section (apple shape) will deteriorate my health and lead to problems.

I've decided to do 30 minutes of exercise per day and keep my calories under 1500 per day.

My starting weight is 195.

azdaisy responded:
Hello all.

I am back. I discovered after months of avoiding my scale that I have put back on all the weight I worked so hard to lose 2 years ago. All within 6 months. So it is time to get real and make serious changes.

My name is Gina. My goal for 2010 is to be mentally and physically healthy. I am tired of being tired and feeling crappy. I am tired of trying to hide my body. Mostly I want to ensure that I am here for a very long time for my family. There is a history of early deaths in my family and I want to change the pattern.

I stepped on the scale for the first time this morning in probably 2 or 3 months. I currently weigh 145.

I work 2 jobs and have a long commute so trying to squeeze in time for exercise is hard. Especially when I am exhausted all the time. This also means that I eat 3 meals away from home. So trying to plan and prepare meals gets tricky because I get bored really fast. So I am always open to new ideas.

kghoerth responded:
Oh my goodness! All these new people! How exciting!

Ok! Well I'm noticing there's a few Katies around now, that's my name but call me "Kat"!

My goal for 2010 is to lose the remainder of my weight and most importantly MAINTAIN what I've lost!

This year is going to be great! 2009 was my year for SURE! New job + new bod = happy me! Am I going to give it all up for a measly trans fat laced donut? Or an hour on the couch munching chips instead of working out? NO WAY! I'm so pleased with my progress so far, and I'm not going to let it slip away this year.

My diet and exercise plan is pretty simple. 1200 calories a day of basically whatever I feel like and 5 workouts a week along with daily walks whenever I can step away from the office.

My weight today was at a low of 136! Oh my goodness! I'M ALMOST THERE!

Anything else about me? Well, I'm a grad student, work full time at the university as well. It's a great life really This year I'm excited to have my first book published! I'm now very glad I've lost the weight because I'm taking my 'author picture' this weekend. Imagine if I was fat? Ugh, it would haunt me for the rest of my life. As for the community here, it has been my support and my inspiration. I came to WebMD just looking for a little direction, but I STAYED because of all these wonderful ladies! They keep me on track with the daily plans, keep me motivated with the challenges, and give me support when I fall. I hope that this year will be just MORE!

Happy New Year, ladies! 2010 WILL BE YOUR YEAR!

glitterylinette responded:
Hello All!

I am glitterylinette

My Goal for 2010 is to weight 141 or anything around that number

This year is completely different from any other since I just got recently married and I would like to travel and not have to worry of being "to tired" all the time.

I believe the moment that I decided to say " OK time to lose weight" was when our Youth Group was at Busch Gardens, and I rode the roller coaster and it would not do the double click (it suppose to do two clicks if your regular weight) Well my thighs did not allow the two clicks so as I was on the ride it felt as though I was going to fall out--> NOT FUN!!

It was at that moment that I decided to do this journey. I accomplished my first goal to weigh 209 by my wedding. My Starting weight was 245 my Current weight is 198. By June I would like to have lost 46 pounds which is realistic following the losing 2 pounds a week

I am doing currently the Biggest Loser diet (on Webmd) it is also call the 4-3-2-1 Diet.

I am doing 1 hour of Cardio a day and the Slim and 6 series 6 days a week for strength training mixed with Cardio.

All in all I am exciting and ready to have this PERMANENT change

Spotlight: Member Stories

im almost 50 and i need to get fit and healthy so i can enjoy my grandkids and be around for a long time

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.