Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Changed to another med....
Cindigal posted:
I went to the three month check up (what a day to go...). I was wishing that the weight be magically erased.. No such luck. Anyway, it was a learning experience. Anytime that I want to know about this med or that one, the best way to ask a "actual physician". I can pick their brains out since they are getting my money anyway. I talked about my concerns about the meds I am on. One that I never took before, and could possibly deterring my efforts to lose weight. We discussed about other options and I said....i heard about a med that I read several articles about, a good side effect is weigh loss. So he changed the med.....I am very anxious to try it.

I came home and logged on the computer and started chatting with a friend. We were talking about everything. Then he went outside to smoke. I said you should curtail that smoking, he agreed.. Then it downed on me.....I was smoking for over 30 years...and the day before I went to the hospital, I was smoking. Then, cold turkey at the hospital. I could not figure out about the weight gain....could that be the answer. Earth to Cindi.....

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Ah that definitely could be-my partner and I stopped smoking in January. I have added a bit of weight-but from looking at her I know she has added more-just because she has never been overweight or even close. We added exercise...but that quitting smoking definitely doesn't help with weight loss. Not a reason to take it back up-but still frustrating. Darn nicotine and its metabolism boost.

Cindigal replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the reply. All that time, I forgot all about the smoking that I did for over 30 years. Besides exercising and watch the diet, what else can we do, how long before ex-smokers will see the difference. Did it take a long time to lose it.....in your estimate.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Cindigal's response:
Ah well, I don't know how long it is going to take to lose it.

We do have a couple of articles:

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/diet-tips-when-you-quit-smoking

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/smoking-drop-the-habit-without-picking-up-weight

barbara4u replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hey Louise,

I used to be a really heavy smoker for over 10 yrs. It has been about 25 yrs since quitting time.

It took me 3 times to do it. I probably could take up the habit now if I didn't know the bad/serious side effects, and the cost.

I have seen the effects of emphysema and that ain't pretty.

One of the reasons it took me so long to stop was the fear of weight gain. Well I probably put on a few lbs. But the long term positive was that I could take really deep breaths. You don't realize how your breathing is comprimized by smoking. Also, I saw a story on how the tobacco mfgs. put extra chems. to keep you addicted so you are really not getting "pure" tobacco.

Well, it really is a tough addiction to break. Don't cave-in. Even if your partner goes back. You must not! Be strong.

When I first quit I would have dreams about smoking. For me, there were alot of psychological as well as physical connections with the habit.

Good luck,

Barb

ps Think of the role model aspect for your kids.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to barbara4u's response:
She is actually much better at being a nonsmoker than I am-I think we totally would have caved if it wasn't the other goading us.

As for role model-sigh-oddly my kids didn't ever see us smoke...except one child caught us one time.

The 11 yo is funny though--she noticed about a month ago that I smelled funny-not like mommy smells. LOL. I couldn't really explain it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My partner and I have six children-the oldest three are grown up and on their own. The younger three are 16, 14, and 11. My 74 yo mother lives with us...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.