Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
lose weight with diabetes
pdxretiree posted:
My husband is overweight 50 lbs and has diabetes. We/He is watching what he eats but we are having problems keeping his blood sugar under control at the same time. He was told to have a protein/carb snack at bedtime which really makes it harder to keep track of. I really would like some suggestions how I can help him. PLEASE

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome pdxretiree,

Losing weight while maintaining blood sugar levels can be tricky. Working with his doctor or nurse to develop a personal diet/meal may be necessary. Our local hospital offers a Diabetes Center, which provides classes and consultations.

I found a few links for you from the WebMD Diabetes Center which may be helpful -

Diabetes & Weight Loss
The Basics of a Healthy Diabetes Diet
New Type of Diabetes Drug Drops Weight with Blood Sugar

and this discussion from the Diabetes Community .

Anyone else struggling with keeping their blood sugar under control or have suggestions?

Elizabeth

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dr. Dansinger on our Diabetes community has written a great series for people who want to lose weight and manage their diabetes with a healthier diet as part of that. He was the doctor for The Biggest Loser and definitely can give good ideas for weight loss with diabetes.

Here is the series I was referring to:
  1. "Natural Food" versus "Modern Food"
  2. A Spectrum Of Options
  3. The Tufts Popular Diet Trial
  4. Dating the Diets
  5. Caloric Density, Glycemic Load, and Saturated Fat: Key Players In Diabetes Reversal
  6. Dr. Dansinger's Eating Strategy for Diabetes Reversal
  7. Sample Meals

pdxretiree replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for replying! we are both on secure horizon, not sure if they would cover a diabetes nutritional helper

pdxretiree replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your reply, I did check them out and will read/study them. clara

Tomato05 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am a great "disciple" of Dr. Dansinger.

His findings correspond very much with what I have experienced, just listening to my own body - especially the starchy foods, which make me sluggish, headachy, etc., and the fatty foods which don't make me feel well either.

I also believe in mainly lean protein, lots of vegetables, fruit and dairy in moderation.

But his recommended portion sizes are a bit much for me! I can't conquer 6 egg-whites or 6 ounces of nuts - rather half of that. And my meat portions are 4 ounces max, not 6 ounces, and my bean portions 1/2 cup, not 1 cup.

Like he says, weight loss is a potent tool for fighting diabetes. I think it is a potent tool for fighting many diseases of the body and mind...

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to pdxretiree's response:
Call and find out if they will cover a meeting with a CDE (certified diabetes educator) I think they will. My mother used Secure Horizons when she lived in Colorado and I remember she got some diabetes education.

If the hospital offers classes--those are often free or around 10-20 dollars for the classes in my experience. Those classes usually get listed on the hospital website or if you call and ask about their community outreach programs.

ranjer responded:
I, too, am a diabetic. It's taking our population by storm. May I suggest he sees an Endocrinologist who will assess his total physical health and give him a regimine to follow. I don't use that word "D---", but that's my personal preference. I lost 15 pounds in the past month on the regimine. If your husband love meat, he'll enjoy the regimine. What my doctor told me is that some people are actually addicted to "carbs" (i.e., potatoes, rice, corn, beans, etc.). I love all of the aforementioned, when I say love -- I mean LOVE them, but realize that I have an addiction. Just as if I were an alcoholic or drug addict, I have to say "No" or eat it in total moderation.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 58 year old woman who has struggled with weight for at least the last 30 years. 3 years ago I lost 55 pounds on a doctor supervised low carb, ...More

Helpful Tips

Some motivation tips! Laugh it off!
I needed a little humor today and found some great funny sayings on the internet (Thanks Dan Worona ) to help motivate me. COMMIT TO BE ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.