Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Trying to come back...
BelaFaccia posted:
Hello Everyone,

I can't remember if I have ever posted a discussion on this board, but I've always checked it out! Anyway, I guess I am doing the cliche New Year's Resolution thing (better than not doing anything at all, right?), and I have a goal of losing 30 pounds. I'm 24 years old, 5'0", 158 lbs. 30 pounds is daunting to me, so I know I need to look at it as mini goals (perhaps 2 pounds a week). I have a gym membership, and was planning on starting a workout routine (3 days a week) this week. However, I have hit a setback...I'M SICK!

This is something that constantly happens to me! Typically, I get sick 2 weeks after starting a workout routine; probably because I hit the gym too hard, too fast, and too often and my immune system can't devote time towards defending my body against germs. I also have fibromyalgia. However, the last time I made a commitment to work out (back in October), I got sick before I even got to the gym! And it has happened again!
Part of me starts thinking, "What's the point? You're only going to fail just like you did all the other times. What makes this time any different? You're not gonna be able to stick with this..." And then I start thinking about people who have dramatically changed their lives for the better and they have been able to stick with it and I say to myself, "if they could do it, then so can I!" But right now, I feel like my body is trying to sabotage itself! It is absolutely frustrating! Is there anyone out there like me?

-Nicole

Take the Poll

Which of the following often causes you to go off your fitness track?
  • Fatigue
  • Illness
  • Lack of Motivation
  • Lack of Time
  • Lack of Support
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome Nicole!

This time think "I will not fail, I will not let this sickness sabotage me!" We will motivate you and keep you accountable!

You are correct in thinking about mini goals, 1-2 lbs a week is doable. Take this time to get yourself well, make very healthy, nutritional choices and also take this time to plan. Plan menus and meals for the next couple weeks by using the tools in our Healthy Eating and Diet Center . Get a calendar and plan your workout routine little by little.

Again, you can do it! Looking forward to losing with you,
Elizabeth

Tootgirl responded:
Hi BelaFaccia! Welcome! I don't know too much about the getting sick thing but I can say that I too am looking at losing 1-2 pounds a week and even though that doesn't always happen, I keep on moving. I pray that you feel better soon and when you do, you....KEEP ON MOVING! You can do it! I have faith in you! I too am only 5 feet tall, so us short people have to stick together! (smile!) I will be here for you if you need me! Get well soon!

BelaFaccia replied to Tootgirl's response:
Hi Elizabeth and Tootgirl,

Thanks for the support! :o) Think I'm actually starting to feel more like myself. Took lots of Airborne, lol, my other supplements, and tried to get to bed early. Hopefully, by the grace of God, I'll be back in the gym on Monday.

It's been a tough week. I got stuck at work late 3 days this week. My brain has been obsessing about getting back to the gym. Trying my best to keep my mind in good places Elizabeth and to not let those self-defeating thoughts get the best of me. Tootgirl, thanks for the vote of confidence in a fellow shorty! lol

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to BelaFaccia's response:
Checking in to see if you are feeling better and back in the gym.

Did you get to the gym yesterday? I know working late can sabotage plans, so days you do work late be extra vigilant about what you eat the next day.

Keep us posted,
Elizabeth

BelaFaccia replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I unfortunately didn't get there yesterday. My priority was actually getting to the supermarket and planning my meals for the week so I would stop ordering bad foods for lunch at work and binging on munchies upon walking in the door from work! :-)

Last night I made a BIG pot of soup. Lots of vegetables and even made little meatballs to throw in there too for protein (used ground turkey because it is healthier than beef). I put kidney beans in there too. And I used fat free chicken stock (Emeril's brand).

I had a lowfat stonyfield farm yogurt and a Thomas' whole wheat English muffin for breakfast (I love bagels, but I eliminated SO many calories by switching to the English Muffin). I like Thomas' because there really isn't any added garbage in there (i.e. HFCS!!) and they have a nice amount of fiber depending on the variety.

For lunch I had the soup that I made and a light Sargento String cheese (those are only 60 Calories!). When I got home, I had some green seedless grapes.

Dinner will depend on what my mother makes (I live at home and we still try to eat as a family every night). If it is something that is a little too calorie dense for my liking, I'll make something different. Actually plan on putting together a quinoa dish that I can eat hot or cold with chicken breast. Thank God I am a food network junkie and my father is a chef, so hopefully I can come up with a bunch of creative, and more importantly healthy, dishes so I do not get bored!

Gym did not happen tonight either. I'm a little concerned about going out tonight. Weather here in Jersey is pretty crumby. I'll probably do some deep stretching here at home with some resistance bands to start easing my body into the routine. Like I mentioned, I have Fibromyalgia and I haven't really done any intentional exercise in several months. Want to take it easy for the first week or so in order to avoid sabotaging myself like I seem to do consistently!

Thanks for checking on me, Elizabeth! That extra support made me feel extra motivated! ;-)

-Nicole

BelaFaccia replied to BelaFaccia's response:
Well, I did it! I finally went to the gym tonight! Did some cardio then some weight training for my arms! I must say that I am quite tired and looking forward to a good night sleep tonight. When I was done, I sat in a dry sauna for about a half hour, then took a hot shower, came home, and ate dinner (made sure that there was protein!) I also took glutamine, which I am hoping will help my muscles recover quicker.

I think this first day was the hardest step. I think that it will be easier for me to get there now because I finally took that leap. I must admit though that I was feeling kinda depressed as I was getting ready to leave for the gym. Kept on thinking, "You're kidding yourself...you're not gonna get down to 130 lbs and if you DO manage to get there, you aren't gonna stay there!!" I felt a little more positive and confident in myself at the end of my workout. Let's hope I can actually do it this time!

jean4u replied to BelaFaccia's response:
YOU did it, you made the start!

Don't do that future worry thing. Just get through staying on track right this minute.

You CAN do it. Just think how good it will feel to be healthier that is the goal. To make our lives a healthy lifestyle.....the weight will come off....maybe slow but it does come off.

Barb

BelaFaccia replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks for the support Barb! I was definitely feeling it as the day progressed yesterday and when I woke up this morning. But, No pain, no gain!! I actually saw a poster at my gym that had a cool saying on it: "Pressure makes diamonds!" I'm now on my way to becoming a diamond! Although, I need to admit this so I stay accountable: I went out last night with my boyfriend to watch the Flyers game and I definitely did not the healthiest choices. But, I'm not gonna feel guilty about it! Just need to try better next time!

-Nicole

jean4u replied to BelaFaccia's response:
Let's see you worked hard at the gym, but later at the game made some not so good choices. Hey, this is a process.

How can you do better next time? You have to come up with a plan for these tempting times. Otherwise that hard work does not get the full benefit.

I still am working on planning portion control and making healthier choices......working on the process.

Barb

BelaFaccia replied to jean4u's response:
Hi All,

Just wanted to update. I know it does not sound like much, but it's a start! Lost my first 3 pounds! Took me a week and a day, but I did it! Most of that was probably water weight, but it is certainly encouraging!! I'm hoping to have a total of about 10 pounds off by Valentine's Day (I want to ultimately lose about 30 pounds). I know I have a long way to go, but I'm on my way!

-Nicole

Tomato05 replied to BelaFaccia's response:
3 lb is a lot - congratulations! It takes me about 6 weeks to lose 3lb, so you're doing great.

Keep up the good work.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to BelaFaccia's response:
Oh Nicole, that's GREAT! Keep up the great work and keep up the workouts!

Very excited for you!!! See, you can do it!!!!

Elizabeth

Figiren replied to BelaFaccia's response:
This is awesome! Congrats on the 3 lbs!
I enjoyed this thread because I am feeling very discouraged today, and it has helped watching all the responses and encouragement. I've been doing well the past 2 weeks on my exercise program (which is EA Active on the PS3) - it's a lot harder than walking on the treadmill, which is what I was previously doing.
However, my eating habits are all over the board - for example great choices from the "lean and fit" category on a restaurant menu for lunch, to an evening of eating popcorn (popped in oil, real butter) and drinking a few beers.
Then I wake up to a 1 lb weight gain, and feel bad about myself.
I wish I could just string together 3 days of good choices and exercise. I guess that should be my "mini-goal"!!

Figiren replied to Figiren's response:
and by the way - that "getting sick 2 weeks into a new exercise plan" seems to happen to me too....just wanted you to know, you're not alone!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time working mom with 2 children. One is 6 and the other 2. I only started having weight issue when I was in my 20's. I was always the...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.