exercise today
KMILLER2130 posted:
I didn't work last night so today was one of my intense work-out days:

Bowflex (almost 1 hour)
Aerobics (approx 1 hour)
200 crunches
Aerobics (approx 30 mins)
Yoga (approx 30 mins)

Added all up it came to about 3 hours of exercise. I still felt energized when I was done.

Tomato05 responded:
Wow, I bet you needed a good dinner after all of that!

I had a run yesterday - getting back slowly into running while recovering from a leg muscle and knee ligament injury. It felt good to run again, even though I take it very easy at this stage.

I followed up the run with abs exercises and stretches (and 2 sets of pushups).

jean4u responded:
KM,

WOW!!!

Just reading all your exercise made me tired. But I get it, too, that it does give us energy. When I barely moved from the couch I had very little exercise and I know I got depressed, too.

I did hear "somewhere" that women have to have 1 hr. exercise not to gain weight AND 2 hrs. if they want to lose weight. So, I like to get in 1 hr. and possibly another activity if I can.

Barb

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato,

Nice to hear you are back at it. Just don't overdo.

Have you heard of "pole-walking"? Supposed to give you a better workout than just walking. Prevention magazine had something on it. I see people from time to time with poles doing their walks. I have some ski pole and thought about using them. The walking poles are about $150...yikes!

Barb

BelaFaccia replied to jean4u's response:
Wow KMiller!! That is quite the intense workout! Be careful and don't overdo it! If you lose the weight too quickly, you'll have a hard time keeping it off. I would definitely recommend some muscle confusion and working different muscle groups on different days.

-Nicole

Tomato05 replied to jean4u's response:
Hello Barb - I must admit, I don't know much about pole walking. I should maybe read up on it, not that I would want to do it, just curious.

It seems almost counter-productive that walking with poles can be better than walking without them! Instead of your spine having to do all the work of keeping you up, and your leg muscles having to work hard to propel you, don't you kind of "cheat" and transfer some of that work to the poles?

I have osteoporosis and weight-bearing exercise is very important to me (especially my spine and hip). Walking is great for that.

I suppose the benefit of pole walking is that you lift your arms and thereby tone those muscles somewhat - I prefer to lift heavy weights for my arms though. It shapes them very effectively!

I definitely wouldn't spend $150 on poles; sounds like a money-making trap. The body can do the job beautifully on its own for free, if you ask me!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I started my weightloss journey June of this year. I have lost a total of 10lbs. My goal is to lose 40lbs by december. I have always been overweight a...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.