Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Any pionters??
smk34 posted:
I am relatively new to the diet thing. Meaning I have never REALLY tried to lose weight until recently. Not that I didnt need to but I have finally got tired of being frumpy I guess. I am counting calories and trying to exercise at least 5 times a week even if it is just a walk. I am 5' 7" and I started at 198 on June 5th and now am at 184. Slowly but surely. Just wondering if anyone has tips, great low calorie snacks, ways to mix up exercise a little. I have two young kids and no time for a gym so I purchased an elliptical which I used for the first time last night and I hope it will be a great tool to help me reach my goal. Thanks for ANY pionters:)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_232629 responded:
Hey! I've been trying to lose some weight while remaining healthy and I've found that my routine is starting to produce some noticeable results. I find my workout schedule is pretty laid back and hopefully you guys can find some of my tips/routine to be useful:
-First off, you have to have a healthy diet. I realized that and because of some small tweaks to my diet, I'm feeling much healthier. Unlike what some dietitians say, I believe having a healthy dose of carbohydrates in your system to be complimentary to your workouts and helps stay active during the day. I feel that to exercise or workout to my fullest, I have to have a portioned plate of pasta or rice. Also, make sure you eat LEAN meat. Proteins are necessary in building muscles and keeping your muscles cramp/tension free. HOWEVER, protein from hamburger with fillers/cheese/toppings/you-name-it isn't the same as a tender steak or a piece of chicken! Do not confuse both of these or caution: your mirror will not forgive
-Second, you have to exercise! I'm sorry, but the only way I've lost weight was by running and working out. Alternating between the two is key to achieving results. I know some people might not enjoy jogging so make running fun! Join an adult soccer/basketball/frisbee league and go out and play. Make exercising enjoyable and carefree. However, if you prefer jogging, a tip to increase your chance of weight loss while running is to have a steady pace while accelerating only temporarily. This increases your heart rate by a small amount, making you burn off more calories and fat. I would say increase pace for 25 to 30 secs every 3 minutes so as to see results. However, do not accelerate too much because you'll lose pace and run for less time/distance. This actually works.
Also, when I lift, I do low weights and high amount of reps. This tones your muscles, makes you sweat out toxins all while eliminating fat. In addition, don't use every machine the gym has to offer like i see others doing. Do maximum 4 exercises/machines at the gym so as to concentrate more of your efforts on specific parts of your body. This increases your chances of losing weight and toning up the areas of your body that YOU want.
I would try to run 3 times a week and lift 2 times a week if you prefer cardio or vice versa if you prefer lifting.
-Third, I've found that NATURAL supplements are necessary to compliment your workouts. Make sure you have one that has a medium amount of protein and that can help you recover from your exercise. My friend told me of a supplement that works really well and its called Cartigel. Unfortunately, they don't sell in stores but they have a great website( www.cartigel.com). I ordered and it arrived two days later and its working well with my routine. I usually take it daily in the morning with my orange juice, coffee, etc...and it helps your muscles recover while nurturing the cartilage in your joints so as to reduce pain. So far, it has worked great for me. Definitely recommend you try it.

After reading all of this you might think: "This is way too much for me." But, in reality, this is the easiest and fastest way to see results! I've been doing this for 2 months and I've lost 28 pds! My friends are definitely noticing the results and are in awe of my progress. I promise you this: you follow this, and you won't regret doing this one bit.

Let me know if this has been helpful or you have other questions,
Campbell

michmom55 responded:
hi i too am at the end of my rope. i am 5' 8'' and weigh 195. i do not know how that happened! i was always 140-145. i recently saw some photos and could not believe it was ME! i exercise 3-4 times at jazzercise, really swating for an hour at a time, plus i walk 2 miles(weather permitting). i do not get how i packed on this weight. i am joining weight watchers this week. i have my physical mon and i know my doctor is going to yell at me for my weight gain. i would like to lose 45-50 lbs by christmas.hope i can do it!!!!

Sabel64 replied to michmom55's response:
Hi, Me too. Done with the weight, can't breathe, can't bend over, no clothes fit if you have Belly Fat. 5'7" 190...it is not as easy to lose weight once you pass the 55 mark.Hoping to lose 40 lbs by Dec. Is that reasonable?

smk34 replied to michmom55's response:
I know what exactly what you mean. It's like one day you look in the mirror and go who the heck is that???? I knew that wasnt the person I felt like so I decided to do something about it. I am at 180 now so down 18 lbs. But it does take awhile. And alot of dedication. If I could afford to do weight watchers I think it would be easier than counting calories for sure, but I do need to learn how to eat healthier and what to avoid, so counting calories is good to know in the long run i guess. Good luck and let me know how you are doing!

smk34 replied to Sabel64's response:
Do you have a plan to help you lose the 40 lbs by christmas? I could use all the ideas anyone has right now:) I just watch what I eat and excercise and it works but is slow, and takes disapline which is not easy. Good luck and keep us posted:)

onkjp replied to smk34's response:
Try using Spark people Web site. Its FREE and has LOTS of pointers and has teams to join for support and features to track your food and weigh loss etc. Writing down EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth is very important. So often we eat things and think its just a little something but all those little somethings add up especially when you are over 50!

ACMTX responded:
Great for you! If your kids are 2 or older you can put in a dvd of their music and dance with them silly for 10-15 minutes for another way to add in quality time with exercise. With your height you are closer than you know to being at your ideal weight. No ideas are coming to mind for low calorie snacks accept the low fat peanut butter in celery - with a few shavings of dark chocolate. Keep up the great effort.

dinahmoh responded:
I spent the majority of my life obese. I am now 49 years old and have finally maintained for 2 1/2 years a desirable weight for my height. I am 5' 8" and currently 157 lbs - I weighed at my peak 235 lbs. It took me many years of perseverance of watching what I eat and being mindful of what I put in my mouth. I have eliminated any packaged foods from my diet, and truthfully I no longer miss them. My tastes have changed dramatically - I no longer crave any junk whatsoever. On occasion I let myself have a treat but truthfully I no longer enjoy it as I once did.

My rule of thumb for starters - when you pick up food from the grocery store, read the label - if you don't know what's in it - don't eat it - most processed foods are loaded with chemicals and artificial flavorings and high fructose corn syrup. I believe that all these things stimulate your appetite. I don't believe in those "100 calorie snack" packages - all artificial and unhealthy. If you want a snack, go for something natural - an apple with peanut butter or other nut butters, 1/2 cup of yogurt, a handful of almonds - heck even a boiled egg, you'll be surprised how satisfying these things are.

Aim for sticking to a program for 21 days as your first goal. Once you have completed that period of time you will have developed some new habits. It's a long road but you can do it... commit to it. If you fall off the wagon, just get right back up, no one is perfect and don't put yourself down, just dust yourself off and move forward!!

rroscoe226 replied to smk34's response:
I am 5'5" and I weighed 212 and found out that I have diabetes in June. So, I have lost 12 pounds. I went to a diabetes class and they taught us how to count carbs, fats, sodium, etc. It helps you understand how your body works. But the weight loss if slow. I am walking every day and working out now. I think salads and fresh vegetables and fruits are the way to go and less sugar to help loose weight and exercise of course..

ArwenLegolas responded:
If you have a DVD player, there is a series called the Power Walk. They come in different miles. I been doing the 3 mile power walk at the senior center. It combines walking 3 miles and aerobics. It also has some weight training with little weights around their hands. It's a relatively inexpensive DVD.

You can also buy Resistance Bands. Huge Rubber bands that can be used instead of weights for strength training.

GoalMindedLady responded:
Wow, this site just popped up for me. . . But it is like seeing me on here. . .
One day I get up, and 1) see pics of myself. . and I am like "WOW". . .then I take a hard look in the mirror, and I am like "Who the heck is that person??". .
I walk 3 miles a day, but I am huge. . .Somethings gotta give here.
I am definately trying to better my health. . .

coldhunter60s replied to Sabel64's response:
Hi, I'm 60 and 5 5 and weight is 200, ca't belive it and now diabitic HOW? I walk can't run or jog bad knees and a leak problem. Walk 2 miles a day ans always moving around the house. Changed the diet big time. I use to walk 5 miles and it never helped so I gave up and here I am. Have nobody to help me. So I'm doing my best and do my Bsugar every day, seen the Doc. June 22 and so far have lose 8 lbs. was 208 when I seen her. I quit eating white breads and went to the grain breads, hardley any sweets, no potatoes, lots of veggies and fruit. Nothing fried. So why can't I lose?

coldhunter60s replied to ArwenLegolas's response:
I have tried the dvd's and other one and it is hard not the same as a friend or just somebody to wlk withand talk. I on't know how many tapes ans dvd's I have. I'm not a person that can do it alone it is hard. I'll keep plugging away.

Berries5 replied to coldhunter60s's response:
Hi, Coldhunter60s
Im just the same way i have little to no friends and the ones i have have no desire to help through this journey. I belong to a gym and each time i step in there by myself i feel werid no one talking and tv is always on stupid videos or cnn nothing that will help me focus. People alwys say you need mind over matter i say i need funds to get a personal trainer and a group that i fit into. So my friend just keep trying on the dvds untill your mind catches up with the rest of the desire you have to lose weight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 30 year old woman living in Portland, Oregon. I became a big "foodie" and nutrition geek after losing about 50 pounds in 2005. Mai...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.