Anyone with hip replacement trying to lose weight?
CessnaPilot1998 posted:
Hi, I need to lose weight - about 40 pounds. Is there anyone struggling to lose weight after hip replacement? What kind of exercises are you doing? Any help would be appreciated. I was cleared by my surgeon to exercise (no jogging - running). Thanks.

golferwannabe responded:
Hi. I too had a hip replacement and then two back surgeries. I gained 40lbs just laying around. Don't seem to have the stamina to exercise much, and even walking hurts. If you find something that works, let me know.
golferwannabe

wwilson89 responded:
Have you thought about doing any type of water aerobics? Not hardcore swimming, but an actual class with a teacher and you do aerobics in a swimming pool. Lots of local pools offer those types of clases.

kady_nana responded:
Hi,
I've never have had an hip replacement but I have had two right knee scopes and ended up with a total replacement. I've also have had major low back surgery and currently have a plate with bone screws holding it in place.

During all of the surgeries I put on about 40lbs I believe. And then I was prescribed Lyrica for my fibromyalgia and soon after taking the pills I gained another 50lbs; one of the major side effects from taking Lyrica. That wasn't explained to me at the time so I was blown away when I learned the weight gain was from that.

I'm just getting started with a Physical and Occupational Therapists to help me with that. As soon as I connect with them on which excerises I'll be doing I'll share that with you.

CessnaPilot1998 replied to kady_nana's response:
Thanks! I appreciate anything you learn! Look forward to hearing from you!

Gbert1 responded:
I have joint pain all over my body and have shoulder surgeries and have an autoimmune disease. I also have a very bad back with degenerative disease and stenosis. I lost 70 lbs. using a pilates reformer and weight watchers. I now take pilates classes from a certified pilates instructor who also does physical therapy. It has worked miracles helping my pain. I am 60, a little overweight and there are also others in the class waiting for surgeries. It has to be on a reformer which supports your body. It takes stress off the joints during the exercises. I also have a reformer at home. Some are very affordable and after just a few private lessons, I now take group classes which are very affordable. Best of luck to you. You can do it!

mindywindy replied to kady_nana's response:
I have also had 2 total knee replacements on the same knee within a 6 months period. And it still not right. i have gained ALOT of weight due to this. I would love to know what the secret is to loosing weight, I cant bend my knee, so i am stuck as far as alot of exercises go. Please keep me imformed.
Thank you

Gbert1 replied to mindywindy's response:
We had a lady in our pilates class that is getting knee replacement. She is around 70 and does a little pilates and therapy. Our group classes are only around $30. It was my way of getting physical therapy and exercise at the same time. I do mostly pilates now since I have less pain. I also take thyroid, steroids for my autoimmune disease and several other drugs that cause weight gain. I am about 15 lbs. overweight and trying to lose it but at 60 I am not in a big hurry. Losing that first 70 lbs. really helped being able to move and do more.It has changed my life.

dontblink responded:
Hi, I have had hip replacement also. Taking a water aerobics class at your local YMCA would help you. They offer classes with a qualified instructor. It gives you so much freedom of movement. You can also stretch your mucles so much easier.
It has helped me wonderfully. Hope this helps. Good Luck

CessnaPilot1998 responded:
Thanks everyone! You posts have inspired me. I just started a beginners Zumba class and it is super fun. If I can't do the move I just do the best I can. Most of all it is fun! Give it a try if you can.