Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Lost my husband.....Gained the weight
linbert posted:
I have had weight issues all of my life, but there was a time when I was at the right weight. After having kids, the weight slowly crept on. I have tried numerous fad diets and was a member of Weight Watchers, most recently an online member, but canceled because of the cost.

My husband passed away March 30, 2011 after being sick since 2008. Since the beginning of this year I pretty much stopped my WW food tracking and gained about 15 pounds.

I have turned to food to help me through this grief. I need to stop the senseless eating. I am depressed and feel miserable. I'm 53 and am looking to lose around 40 lbs. I'm hoping to get motivation from this community.

AvaBraum responded:
First, I am so sorry for your loss

And secondly as I was reading your post it felt like I was reading what I was about to write.

I've gone up and down with my weight for as long as I can remember. And unfortunately I'm (not so slowly) gaining eveything back. I lost about 55 lbs after having a kid and have gained 35 of it back over the last year or so.

I'm 27 years old and a caregive to my terminal ill husband so I can relate in the stress that comes with caring for someone ill.
I've been an emotional eater my entire life but since this all started in 09 it's been a lot more extreme (weight gain/loss of up to 50lbs within a years time frame)

Sadly, I have very little motivation myself at this time but hoping that somehow just by talking about how unhappy I am at the weight I'm at will help get me going.

It feels like I have zero time or energy to excerise. Well and the stuffing of junk food on a daily basis isn't helping either.

But I guess it just starts with one little change and baby steps from there. I think it's time to start a food log again, those always seem to help because you realize how many unneccesary things you consume.

linbert replied to AvaBraum's response:
I know how difficult things are for you and I am sorry about your husband's illness. Unfortunately it sounds like we are in the same boat. We are emotional eaters and the stress in our lives fuels our never ending appetite.

But you are a lot younger than me and your children must be young. You have to take care of yourself for their sakes.

You are right about taking small steps. Try to take a walk, however short it may be, even if it is just around your house or apt. bldg. Try to take 10 minutes for yourself - you deserve it.

Mignott63 replied to linbert's response:
Sorry about your loss, I know it must be difficult losing the person that you were most close to for a number of years. Just to amplify parts of the previous post. Start taking walks when you can and reduce your sugar intake. Drink as much water as you can try to resist drinking soda and sugar filled drinks, drinking water as much as you can helps you to eat less. If you are willing to lose weight a little at time that might be your starting point. That is what working for me.

smarinowilson responded:
my husband passed away April 1st.I'm 56 and 5'3.I had also joined weight watched but the cost was too much.may 15th I weighted 187.today i weight 154.I was down to 149 then Oct 1st i began emotional eating again.So i joined WEB M.D. we just have to push on.I know it's so hard.I have no money a part time job and am renting.No bank accounts.I was left nothing.But I have family and friends .It's important to talk to other and don"t be mad if you gain a pound here and there.You will lose it again.Try to be positive journal your food and take walks.

justmejust replied to smarinowilson's response:
Sorry for the loss of your husband. I have other stressers, but now I am committed to losing 49 pounds to get to goal weight of 145. I am 5'4" and just turned 50 years young this year.
I've already lost 29 pounds gradually over the last 16 months.

Spotlight: Member Stories

38.diagnosed as bipolar. two kids ,a great husband. god loving woman,and I love to help people with their weight goals,i lost 100 lbs and had health i...More

Helpful Tips

Check your medical insurance website - you may find gym discounts, story
Hi folks, I see a lot of stories out there, same as mine. I'm over 55 (just) and added about 40 pounds overall to my high school weight. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.