Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
30 pounds to go
Anon_25405 posted:
I'm one of those yo-yo's and hate that I'm that way, but here I am working every day to deal with it. Some things that have worked for me (when I finally got "in the groove" and was finally dedicated and committed) is to wrench my focus/obsession on food to obsessing on my thinness. I'm going to obsess on SOMETHING so I need to make it work FOR me instead of AGAINST me. I'm down 16 pounds now and my clothes are loose and that encourages me. I turn off all thoughts of food and I'm walking every day. What seems so easy for me to do right now has been a nightmare in the past. It's so hard for me to turn on the commitment and determination but when it happens it makes the process of losing weight so much easier. I wish I knew how to just make it happen but I don't. I wish for the battle of the bulge to get easier for all of us. I need encouragement and if you do too, post me and we can trade ideas and thoughts.

RoseLynn02 responded:
That's cool you're getting focused right now. Now you just need to stay that way. It feels great when you start to see a difference & your efforts pay off. I finally fit in my size 10s again, Almost bake to an 8 & doing great. Sometimes I can't work out though, I have arthritis, but I can always diet. Sometimes I have slow weight loss & sometimes I do great, but something is always better than nothing. I'm trying to loose between 25 & 30 lbs right now & I no I can do it & so can you. Keep up the good work.

grgram replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Congratulations on getting into your size 10's, wish I could! You have a good attitude and you and I both know that we can lose the 25 - 30 pounds we both want to lose. My weight loss is slow, too, even when I'm 100% on it. The BEST I can do is 7 lbs/mo. My "diet" is that I eat healthy, well balanced meals, and count calories even on the good, healthy foods. I consume somewhere between 1000 and 1200 calories a day, absolutely NO junk food or snacking except fruit or vegies. I make vegie soup (no meat), tofu chili, and have fresh vegie salads with salsa as a dressing. Breakfast is bran cereal or plain fat-free yogurt and fruit. Sometimes I have a tuna, open-faced sandwich for lunch and grilled chicken breast for dinner with a fresh vegie salad. I like it and it's working for me. Something that I've done that has kept me focused and on track is - eat nothing after dinner, not even a grape! I live by that. Heard it from Oprah. That girl has struggled with her weight too for many years. I think people put too much emphasis on exercise. I'm not knocking it, it's a good thing for us and I walk every day but if you've ever seen a chart showing the amount/duration of exercise you need to do to burn x number of calories, it's very demoralizing. Maybe when you can't work out, you can walk. Keep up the good work, we're on our way.

RoseLynn02 replied to grgram's response:
I can't walk right now because it's too cold to take out the little ones in order to really do so & my husbands a trucker, so it's just me & my 2 toddlers. I work out most days, but sometimes I have bad flare up days & it will put me off track on my work out for a week or 2. I usually loose about 10lbs a month so about 2 & 1/2lbs a week. My daughters "work out" with me & we eat lots of veggies for our snacks together. I found if I don't buy unhealthy foods & they're not in the house then we all eat healthy & no one has to be tempted to eat junk. My daughters watch a show on sprouts called Lazy Town where the hero tells the kids to stay active & eat sports candy for snacks (which means fruits/apples), so that helps encourage them to stay away from junk because if you eat junk then no have no energy to play says the hero. I hope to stay on track & meet my target weight by mid Feb. My weigh in day is tomorrow so we shall see if there has been any progress. Sounds like you got a grasp on your diet & work out. Keep going & let me know how you're doing ok.

You're doing great and even better that you have your little ones right along with you and eating right. It's a win-win. Your're so right about not having the junk food in the house. I'm very fortunate that my husband is cooperating with me and not bringing stuff home that I shouldn't have. I have to stay away from potlucks and buffets. They're killer for me. It's cold here too and I'm putting off my walk this morning. Have a fire going and I don't want to leave it's so nice and warm in here. I WAS on the local water board and they always had cookies at the meetings. Drove me crazy! As of last month I'm no longer on the board and don't have to face those cookies anymore. What a relief! I don't think I'll reach my target weight until about the end of March. Can't wait to get back into the casual clothes I love - jeans, shirts, t-shirts. Fortunately, we attend a church that we can go very casual and I have lots of jeans and pants I can't get into. Can't wait to fit into those smaller sizes again and it's thoughts like that that keep me going and motivated. Let me know how your weigh in goes. Stay focused! You're doing great.

Well unfortunately no weight loss this week. & probably none next week either since I haven't been feeling well again & my hands have been hurting to much do much more than I need to. Hope your progress is going better than mine at the moment.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. You can still stay focused on your goal. Don't drop the ball now. The human spirit is an awesome thing. We can be down but not out. Things can go against us but we women can overcome just about anything with faith and determination. Women are very strong beings. You may not have lost weight this week but you may next week. And if not, so what! It's not the end of anything, it's an on-going process. Keep your eye and your heart on your goal. Hang in there baby! Rembmber that poster? I was down 2 lbs this morning for a total of 18 now. I went out today and bought myself a new bra, which actually FITS me, and red turtleneck sweater. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself! Feel better soon. Put on some happy music and dance around with your girls. They'll either think their mom is great fun or that she's lost her mind.

I wrapped presents today & there were empty wrapping paper rolls, so my girls & I played pirates & sword fights & it was great. We ran around the house chasing each other. It was a lot of fun. I try to keep smiling every day...even when I hurt, but some days it's easier than others. It's hard being 25, weigh more than you would like, & have arthritis all while going to college & maintaining a family & trying to loose the unwanted weight. But you're right I can do it & I will.

I'm glad you're doing so well. 18lbs is an amazing total loss. You should be very proud of yourself & must be excited. I'm excited to have a 9lb total loss, especially since I have only been on this weight loss journey for a month & a half. Anyhow keep it up & I'll do the best I can & together we can do this!

Anon_25405 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
You certainly have a lot going on. It amazes me that you can do all that. I don't know anything about arthritis but you seem so young to have it. Going to college and taking care of a family is more than a full-time job. You're amazing. The thing you're the most in control of is the unwanted pounds. That's one thing you can knock off and get rid of leaving you the time and energy to do the other things. I've spent so much time and emotional energy battling with myself to eat it, not eat it, eat it, not eat it, back and forth just wearing myself out. It's so stupid to allow icecream to defeat me. I've caved in to cookies so many times because I allowed them to defeat me. Stupid. I've got to get these things under control and not let them control me! Your sword fight sounds like fun and your 9 lb. weight loss is great in that short period of time. We can do this! I think that losing weight is the hardest thing we'll ever do on purpose. One way of looking at it is that it's self torture. The other way of looking at it is how we look and feel with the unwanted pounds GONE!!! And that's my motivation. I want us both to be able to look in the mirror and like what we see. I love that Nike commercial - JUST DO IT. Yes, we're doing it. Keep on keeping on. Don't drop the ball now after that great 9 lb. loss.

RoseLynn02 replied to Anon_25405's response:
I am too young to have arthritis, but I do. It's rare to get it this young but it happens...unfortunately. Yes I do have a lot on my plate especially since my husband is an over the road truck driver, so he is gone most of the time. Everything pretty much falls in my lap & I have to pretty much hold our family together. It's not easy sometimes, but always worth it. He is a great guy. I'm very proud of my loss so far & most definitely not going to give up. I don't give up. I go for what I want & I want to loose this weight & I will. It just takes time because I'm a yo-yo with my weight too & not by choice. When my pain kicks in bad there just isn't anything I can do about it. The sword fight was very fun & we took some boxes & made a pirate ship! It was great, but now my little ones are sick.

Anyway, I'm glad you're doing well...stay away from the sweets. Talk to you later.

It just occurred to me last night when I was trying on some smaller size clothes I haven't worn for a while, just how much better I feel about myself already. Just making the effort to lose the weight and doing it makes a big difference in how I feel about myself and my mood. I'm caring more about my appearance in general. I think that's why I bought the bra and sweater yesterday. When my weight is up I don't want to buy clothes at all or even see myself in the mirror. I really wish my weight wasn't as important to me as it is, but it is. Why must my self esteem depend on my weight, but it pretty much does.The other day I overhearad my husband talking with his sister on the phone. She must have asked him how he felt about my weight gain because he said, "I don't see her that way." I don't think my weight matters to him one way or the other but it sure does to me. Something that I know for sure is that I (you too) MUST change how we think and feel about food. I've read many, many, MANY diet books and watched programs on TV about diet/losing weight and to not keep on yo-yoing we've got to make permanent change. A lot of these books and programs say that we're "self medicating", that there is some deep meaning to why we overeat, we're eating to cover up the "pain", or we're "hiding". I bought into that for many years and searched and searched within myself to "get it". But I've come to the conclusion that I simply like to eat more than a lot of people do. Other people have a love for photography, hiking, tennis, reading, music, art, whatever. Me, it's food. I really think that there's no deep dark secret within me, I just love to eat. You are very strong and I know you can do this too. You have a great family who needs you and they need you to be at your best for them, not sickly, down, and overweight. Your girls are young and you can be a wonderful inspiration for them. What a great gift you have to be able to mold those little souls in the best possible way to prepare them for their life. They see their mother as strong, confident, the heart of the family, in charge, and loving. I believe you when you say that you don't give up, and you go for what you want. You do have a lot of responsibility but you are up to it and you can and you will. Have a good weekend.

RoseLynn02 replied to Anon_25405's response:
I have never had an issue with over eating & still don't. I don't eat unhealthy foods either. My weight gain is post pregnancy weight. I'm just trying to loose the weight I gained after my second child. I got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight after my 1st baby & before I had my 2nd & I'm just trying to do it again now that I have my 2nd one. That's all it is for me. I don't let my arthritis get me down, but arthritis pain is at times unbearable & makes it hard to do things even as simple as holding a vacuum at times. But I get things done anyway. Sometimes not as much as I'd like, but still. The only thing that falls behind at times is my work out, not my diet. So I know what I need to keep in control only thing is sometimes I have no control on it.

I'm glad you're aware of what you need to do & what your issues are that you need to work on. I'm not really too overweight either & my husband is mad that I'm trying to loose weight, but I don't feel sexy at this weight & want my pre-pregnancy teenage weight back & I will get.

Thank God your weight issues are post pregnancy weight and not food addiction or other eating disorders. Losing weight for any reason is difficult though and you've done it before and will do it again. There's no doubt that you will. You have a real challenge in the arthritis. Wish there was something to be done about that. Husbands are really great about weight. I don't really understand why my husband doesn't care if I gain or lose weight. Seems like your husband loves you too at whatever weight you are. I'd rather them be the way they are than nagging all the time. I guess what it boils down to is that we're losing weight for ourselves. That's fine with me. I just know that I feel so much better mentally and physically when my weight is where I want it to be. Your teenage pre-pregnancy weight will be back very soon. You'll get there before I will. But, WE'RE DOING IT, NOT JUST WISHING AND FEELING BAD BECAUSE WE'RE OVERWEIGHT!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 68 yr. old woman who has gained 40lbs in the last few years. I would like a weight loss buddy, close to my age who knows how hard it is to l...More

Helpful Tips

Check your medical insurance website - you may find gym discounts, story
Hi folks, I see a lot of stories out there, same as mine. I'm over 55 (just) and added about 40 pounds overall to my high school weight. ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.