New ME in 2012
blue6433 posted:
Hi everyone,

This is blue6433 here promising myself to get healthy and lose 50lbs - one pound at a time - next year. Not only for better appearance, but for becoming more healthy.

I am in my early 50's now and realize that my body won't stand up to excess weight the older I get. Muscle is definitely a "use it or lose it" as I have seen my muscular legs change to jiggly tissue (and not only my legs)!!!!

Questions for you all...how long did it take for you to determine what exercise routine you liked and would stick to? What do you do for exercise and how long and often?? Was this the routine you started out with or have you gradually worked up to this?

After the holidays I plan on blogging here at least once a week. Would love to have others join me and celebrate your progress!! Or just to say hi and compare notes.

Looking forward to hear your story.

Take the Poll

How many hours do you exercise per week?
  • Exercise? Are you KIDDING???
  • 0 to 2 hours per week
  • 2 to 4 hours per week
  • 5 or more hours per week
  • Eat, breathe and live exercise!!
vote
View Poll Results

grgram responded:
Good advice I heard a long time ago: The best exercise for YOU is the ONE YOU'LL ACTUALLY DO!! The most obvious and easiest is, put your walking shoes on, open the door, and GO. Something I added a long time ago that works for me is, I check out books on tape at the library and listen to a good book on my Walkman as I walk. Since I hate exercise in all its forms, listening to the book on tape as I walk makes it so much easier. That's the best advice I can give to someone who is wanting to get started. Listening to music or the radio on a Walkman is good too but I get all involved in the book and forget that I'm walking. My ironclad rule is that I cannot listen to the book unless I'm walking. When I first started walking, I needed to lose about 70 - 80 lbs and I walked about 1/2 hr/day and built up to 45 min's.-hr./day. I walk 6 days a week now for an hour and take Sunday off. If you don't have a Walkman (or something similar, that will play tapes and has a radio too) maybe Santa will bring you one. Good luck. Hope to hear how you're doing.

Tomato05 responded:
Good thing that you are beginning to look after yourself better now that you are in your fifties. I am 47 and I'm also making an effort.

I've been exercising for about 5 years (with periods of less exercise when I had injuries) and it is a very important part of my life now.

I try to do cardio (quite intense, so that it leaves me sweating and out of breath) 5 or 6 times a week. I also do strength training at least 3 times a week.

I've been following this program all along, but as I got fitter and stronger, the sessions have become longer and/or more challenging.

Good luck with your health improvement plans and post again to tell us how you are doing.