Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Who is this "fat girl"?
An_242242 posted:
I knew I had put on pounds over the years- but when I went to the Dr for my annual appointment 3 weeks ago, my Dr told me I HAD to lose weight. My heart races constantly, my blood pressure is through the roof, and I weigh 40 pounds more than I did the day I delivered my 1st child, 15 years ago. I am 44 and can;t go to the mailbox without wheezing. My Dr said I was too young to be so old physically. I know I need to cut back on cakes and sweets, and start exersizing, but I really don;t know if I CAN do what I need to! I keep seeing myself starting off good, then getting lazy, then lazier, then just end up back to eating whatever and doing nothing. I must lose 40 pounds or my heart is going to blow up trying to haul all this extra weight around- you would think that is motivation... does anybody have a magic wand I could borrow?

Tomato05 responded:
No magic wand unfortunately, but never mind, there is an efficient way to lose those pounds. It is there, ready, waiting for you to implement!

As you say, you know what you have to do. Just take it step by step, cutting down, eating healthier, moving more. It doesn't have to happen in a rush, but there has to be progress, even if slow.

Just persevere...

AngieMarie79 responded:
I have cut down slowly on sugars until I do not need them, sometimes I crave and have some sweet tea. I walk as far as I know my body will allow, and do not push myself because of my breathing. That is where I got started, little steps like this will help, but it is a lifestyle to lose weight, I recommend not doing anything that will drastically change your lifestyle unless you do it in baby steps.

KBurthardt responded:
When you go to the grocery store, don't buy the things that you know you will be tempted to eat. Like Oreos are my weakness, so they NEVER go in my cart! Buy lots of fresh foods that you like.

They other thing that is good to do, make a menu of all your favorite healthy meals. Plan out what you will eat for the week including snacks. It's okay to eat the same thing everyday and in fact it is good for you. Then there is no question and less room for scavenging around for unhealthy things to eat. Also, if you plan it out and make all of your meals at the beginning of your week they will be easy to grab and go. Most food will stay good for a week in your fridge and Target or Walmart will have containers that are divided so you can put a meat, a veggie and a fruit, or brown rice, whatever you prefer.

I'm lazy too when it comes to making food. Especially when I have worked all day! Try making your food at the beginning of the week and see how it works for you. Everything takes time, so don't get discouraged. Good luck to you!!

jp94952 responded:
Here are your three (but really only two) choices:

1) Continue your current eating habits and thus your current state of ill health and high risk. Or...

2) Go on a diet, lose weight, and be healthier and happier. Or...

3) Keep looking for a magic wand. This amounts to choosing option 1.

The magic wand is a fairly tale and a lie, and a harmful one. Its beneficiaries are the publishers of weight-loss books and producers of infomercials. Not you or me.

Shelbygirl2005 responded:
I had about 55 pounds to lose when I went to the doc and heard the same thing. However, my doc was really helpful about plans/strategies.

1. low-impact, low-intensity exercise - 20-30 minutes of walking around the neighborhood or 20-30 minutes at the lowest resistance but moderate speed on a recumbent bicycle.

2. published diet plans/programs. I tried several, but the one that really worked for me was weight Watchers. Having the accountability of having to go in and be weighed each week and talk to a group of people going through the same thing really really helped me out.

Afton32 responded:
I have a few suggestions for you:
  • Don't buy tempting foods
  • Let others know you are trying to get healthy so they don't tempt you
  • Keep a food/exercise journal - can be hand written or typed or even use an online tracker
  • Start with the basics, walk up and down stairs at your house or around the block multiple times, or just to your mailbox more the needed. Keep it simple and consistent, do it everyday -- schedule time for your activities.
  • Start with some gradual strength training activities something as basic as lifting soup cans for bicep curls.
  • Find something you like and stick to it.
  • Get a buddy, someone with similar goals who has the ability to push you!

Good luck! I follow many of these strategies on a daily basis and have found I feel much healthier over all!

WOWOMAN responded:
Do not beat yourself,losing weight is not done over night,just like gaining weight is not done over night.Sounds like you want to do help yourself. First thing do not buy food that is loaded with sugar ,salt and that has more then 5ingredients,eat 100% wheat whole wheat/grains. Stay away from white flour refine sugar .Use raw sugar i bake with it as well whole wheat flour.My family loves all i make with it,use a mix of while and whole wheat pasta until you can used to it.And watch your potions .Read up on cooking healthy and start exercising ,like walking for 10mins at a time 4 times a week and when you feel stronger add more time and do not give up.But do not every go back to your old habits even if you messed one day ,go back to your good habits ,the person you always were.I know I have been there .I am in my mid 50's and very healthy and happy with myself.I hope to hear from and your happy healthy self. You will do this and you CAN.

bigbubs responded:
There is a wonderful group called OVER-EATERS ANONYMOUS, CEA-HOW. Lookforthem, online or in your community and you will find alot of help ready to support you! I know, I've been with them since 1999 and have changed my food habits, lost and kept off over 20 kilos (about 45 lbs) and feel wonderfully younger than my nearly 78 years! Good luck, but remember not to 'diet', rather change your eating habits for real success.

Spotlight: Member Stories

im almost 50 and i need to get fit and healthy so i can enjoy my grandkids and be around for a long time

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
126 of 136 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.