Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Cant Control Eating habits
kidsurgeon posted:
Someone please tell me how to control my eating habits. I just cant stop. i live with my parents and we all eat at a table and i have to eat whatever my mom cooks. i am a medical student so i really don't have time any time to cook a separate low cal meal for myself. And what the heck i don't even know how to cook. And my house is always stocked with sweets that i cant take my hands off. Although i exercise every morning but i also want to control my eating habits and try to eat within 1500 calories per day because without that exercise isn't showing much results. So any advice?

Tomato05 responded:
Although you can't control the cooked meals, I suppose you can have more say about what you eat for breakfast and lunch?

If for example you make your own breakfast of cereal, fruit, or yoghurt and own lunch of a healthy sandwich or a salad or soup, or veg and a protein, you will be left only to deal with the dinner.

I don't know the setup in your house, but have you tried asking your mom to make you some steamed veg and a piece of lean meat/chicken/fish for dinner? And to steam veg doesn't really require any cooking skills - stick them in the microwave oven for 4 or 5 minutes, if you need to do it yourself.

If the situation doesn't allow you to eat leaner at dinner, your only option is to keep your portions small. Or skip the rice/potatoes and eat more veg. You could offer to make a salad in the evening (not time consuming, just chop a few raw veg quickly), so eat more of that too.

But try to talk to the person who does the cooking and see if she/he won't be prepared to help you.

kidsurgeon replied to Tomato05's response:
Yes i have talked to my mom about this and she says is all i have to do is take lesser portions. which is kind of hard for me. and i like your advice about keeping clear of the rice and potatoes. do you know where i can get easy recipes for cooking healthy meals?

Melmade replied to kidsurgeon's response:
I do low carb--that's easier than getting your mom to change recipes. No bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. you'll stay satisfied with adequate amounts of protein. Just be sure to eat lots of veggies and take in lots of water. Also, don't drink anything with sugar.

Melmade replied to kidsurgeon's response:
For healthy recipes go to skinnytaste.com. Also, check out myfitnesspal.com where you'll find lots of support and recipes.

kidsurgeon replied to Melmade's response:
Thanks this is a nice suggestion and it is working.

Spotlight: Member Stories

After getting an acid reflux condition under control with the help of a wonderful doctor, I'm ready to attack 25-30 unwanted pounds. I'm looki...More

Helpful Tips

Some motivation tips! Laugh it off!
I needed a little humor today and found some great funny sayings on the internet (Thanks Dan Worona ) to help motivate me. COMMIT TO BE ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.