Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Still gaining?
tiffa217 posted:
I decided on Sunday (4/22) that I was ready for a major change. I am no longer comfortable in my body, I hate the way I look and I find myself obsessed with comparing my body to other women whether they're on tv or out in public. I used to drink one can of soda or more every single day, since Sunday I haven't had one. I've been drinking tons of water, around 60-80 oz a day, and have limited my caloric intake to around 500-700 a day. The first couple days I dropped around 5lbs, but now those pounds seem to be coming back on. Is this a normal thing for just in the beginning? I'm doing this in a drastic way because I know that if I don't drop a lot of weight fast I will give up and go back to my regular lifestyle. I really don't want to give up, but I'm getting discouraged. Right now I'm fluctuating between 174-179, and my ideal weigh and my summer goal is 135 lbs. Someone please help and let me know that this is a normal thing so that I won't give up. I'm so ready to lose this weight.

butterfly19790424 responded:
Im not an expert, but I believe you aren't eating enough calories and that's causing the weight gain. A healthy weight to lose is 1-2 lbs per week.

I have to different programs telling me I need to eat 1200-1900 calories a day in order to make my goal.

abnersmom responded:
Butterfly is right. You have sent your body into starvation mode and it is going to fight to keep the fat. At 1200 calories per day, one can get proper nutrition with careful planning and good food choices. Use the food log here or on fitday.com to track your calories and nutrients. I use fitday and it has helped me make adjustments to the foods I choose so that I am most days eating nutritiously.
Debbie -SW 265 -CW 177- GW 150

Lessaca responded:
Tiff,

Good for you to decide to change. I did the same on March 10th and have used WebMD Food Log, Fitness Log and a Kitric scale to weigh, track and measure all my intake and fitness. My intake is 1,200 daily and since starting I have lost 17lbs. Before my weight loss I did yoga 3xwk, walked the dog on the weekends for 30 min each time but that was about the extent of my fitness. Now I still do my yoga 3xwk, but added 30-2 mile walk daily, Zumba 1xwk and 60 min bike ride 1xwk. Doing that I have also lost 19" all over my body and I am feeling good. I started at 187lbs and as of today's weight 170.2, my goal is 140 by October 1st.

Track everything you eat and do on WebMD it is an amazing tool and will let you know what you are consuming properly.
Good Luck and keep on trying you can do it.

airius responded:
I agree with others that suggest that you are basically starving yourself and that's why the weight loss has slowed. 2 pounds a week is reasonable as far as loss goes so if you are doing that then keep at it.

eddiev1261 responded:
Remember that your body has something called "Starvation Mode" and when you cut your calories back so far like you have that your body knows and starts storing instead of burning. A better plan is to try to ride along at 1200 calories per day and find a reason to take a walk every night. Examples: I once measured off the distance from my house to the nearest mailbox. I did it over 3 different routes to get varying distances. I then went to the post office and bought a big bunch of plain post cards. And every night I went to that mailbox and mailed myself a post card. That resulted in my walking one mile every night. Your car needs the proper amount and mixture of gas and air to run. So does your body. If you set your carburators too lean your car will not function. It will be starving. Your body acts the same way.

Obeareaun responded:
Tiffa217... I commend you on wanting to better yourself. The fact that you are drinking water is great, but do not forget to take in other drinks... juice (100% juice) for example... This is necessary due to the fact that if you are only taking in water with no other supplementation it will offset your electrolytes. If your electrolytes get out of whack, it can cause several health problems... initially dizziness and lightheadedness... feeling tired, etc... but can lead to worse ones, especially depending on current health. One of the necessary steps of losing weight and maintaining the weight you want is to set realistic goals. In order to maintain your health, you should really lose no more than 2lbs. per week. So the goal of 39 to 44 pounds by the summer would be unrealistic and unhealthy. Losing weight that quickly would put a lot of stress on your internal organs, especially your heart. Losing weight is a slow process... With monitoring caloric intake on a daily basis, might I suggest a food journal to really see what you eat and where any weaknesses are. This may seem daunting when you first begin, but it quickly becomes habitual. Proper caloric intake for a person to maintain their weight is usually understood to be Client weight in pounds multiplied by 10. So in essence, your caloric intake to maintain your weight would be 1740 to 1790 calories daily. This is of course adjusted with the amount of exercise you get and how strenuous or "calorie crunching" the movements. I found the Food and Fitness Planner used here is a very well done tool...

An_245391 responded:
As I understand how our bodies work, if you eat too few calories a day your body will go into starvation mode. If that happens, you don't loose weight. 500-700 calories is not enough for what your body needs. The tools here can tell you what the minimum amount of calories you should eat are. This accounts for what your body needs to just exist each day and you need to get that many every day to avoid the starvation mode. You can also figure it out yourself with this formula:
(10 X weight/2.2) (6.25 X height in inches X 2.54) - (5 X age) - 161.
Hope this helps. Don't give up. I started a month ago, track what I eat on Web MD, use their calorie guide and have lost almost 10 lbs. It might seem slow to you, but I want to make changes I can live with, not gain the weight back again.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband has been very ill the last four years. Just before he became ill, I had a child. I never really had a chance to lose the baby weight and no...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.