Weight Loss Stalled
Lessaca posted:
I've been very successful and have lost 31 lbs since March 1st using WebMD Food & Fitness Log. I consume 1,200 calories a day or less and on average have been burning 600 calories a day over a weeks time. For the last month I've been bouncing up and down .5 - 1 lb and haven't lost any weight. I know I can't eat less and I certainly can't bump up my burn more. Any suggestions?

Tomato05 responded:
Well done on the weight loss. How many more lbs do you have to lose?

Maybe just try to vary your food, without changing the calories. I don't know what you've been eating, so it's difficult to make suggestions, but maybe eat more lean protein and healthy fats, and less carbs - experiment with the carb/protein/fat ratio.

And likewise you can try to change your exercise routine. Also, without knowing what exercise you've been doing, I can suggest that you do a few interval cardio sessions instead of only "steady pace" ones. Or increase the incline if you walk on a treadmill, etc.

As for weight training, you could try new exercises, or increase the weight and lower the repetitions, do more compound (multi-muscle) exercises, etc.

Lessaca replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks Tomato05 for the encouragement. I want to loose another 19 lbs taking me down to 138 which is my optimum weight. I do Hatha Yoga 3x wk, Astanga Yoga 1x wk, Zumba 1x wk; power walk and interval jog for 45 min/3 miles outdoors on a trail that has hills and valleys. I abhor gyms! I am now only doing weight training with 5 lb weights 1x wk for 30 min. As far as my food, mostly chicken, turkey but do have steak 1x wk. I've been right around my protein, sugars and carb counts on WebMD range for my calorie count. I do take my measurements monthly and there has been no change there since my stall either, so that's why I am puzzled at what to do next. I would understand if I was gaining more muscle but it doesn't seem so yet. I want to achieve my goal weight by end of yr so not panicking yet but just thought I could use some suggestions.

abnersmom replied to Lessaca's response:
Lessaca, It sounds like you are doing everything right, so the only thing I can add to Tomato's suggestions is to maybe do some calorie cycling. For example, one day a week I eat between 1400 and 1600 calories. All the other days, I stay close to 1200. Although the closer I get to my goal, the slower the weight loss has been, this has, for whatever reason, seemed to keep me from completely stalling. Hope this helps! Good luck.
Debbie -SW 265 -CW 163- GW 150

Lessaca replied to abnersmom's response:
Thanks Abnersmom. When you boost up to 1400 - 1600 what do you normally increase, carbs, protein, sugars? I have thought about doing this but wasn't sure what direction to go. The thing I miss the most is pastries, cake, pie or donuts. I have never been a chocolate/candy person. So again, was wondering if I could treat myself once a week to a pastry. I have also tried to lay off my exercise 1x wk, picking a day and not doing any of my exercises that day also but that didn't seem to work. I just don't want to loose my motivation and as of today I weigh exactly what I weighed on June 21st!

abnersmom replied to Lessaca's response:
Hi Lessaca, Usually, for me, it is a larger portion of meat/chicken. I don't do many sweets; it's salty, crunchy that call to me. I do splurge occasionally on some foods that have no nutritional value, but that is rare anymore. My carbs pretty much come from whole grains (oatmeal for breakfast) fruits and veggies. I can't help you much with the sweet cravings, but some boardies on the 50-100 lbs. board share your cravings and they might be able to help. Maybe a small slice of angel food cake with some fresh berries and fat free Reddi-Whip?
Debbie -SW 265 -CW 163- GW 150

totallywiggedout replied to Lessaca's response:
Hi Lessaca, I too am a brownie,cake, donut person. I have to stay well away from donuts. I know that those puppies are my absolute ruin. As for your once a week indulgence, yes, you sure can! Just make sure you buy SMALL and SINGLE portions. If you are lucky enough to have a bakery or big box bookstore close, try to find one that has mini cupcakes. Since they have all the prettieness of the regular sized ones,they will fool your mind's eye into believing that you are giving in to true indulgence. If you can't find those, try for a regular cupcake, but if its piled high with frosting, cut off around half of that. You still get frosting, just not so much. And you'll cut off about 100 calories or more.
I actually buy the Quaker Banana Nut bars, found in the cereal aisle. These are chewy, sweet indulgences that have the crunch of nuts and only have 140 calories. I drink 8 oz of Almond silk with this. It's filling and fairly good for me so I use this as my evening snack about twice a week and this seems to cure my deprivation urges for baked goods.

Lessaca replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you Totally Wigged Out. I'm going to try the Quaker bars but maybe not Banana Nut as I'm partial to a peanut butter taste. In fact, I miss peanut butter so much but I have worked that into my weekly plan so that I can cure that craving also. I appreciate everyone's input and will keep you posted on my success when I get back on track and start loosing again.

totallywiggedout replied to Lessaca's response:
OH! try them with peanut butter! they taste like a peanut butter,banana sandwich! They really are the best ones out there. I tried another from Quaker, the brown sugar cinnamon ones??? freeking HATED the taste and texture.
It just was so plastic-y . yuck
Plus the bn ones can be crumbled and served parfait style with vanilla yogurt. also a very nice treat..... lol

RhondaGraymond responded:
I think you've just reached a plateau stage. Not to worry. If you're eating right, you just need to take your workout up another notch. Something with greater intensity. I'd increase the weights and add another 15 minutes to my cardio. Some weight loss solutions that helped me lose weight- drink a lot of water and get 7-8 hours of sleep every day. Include a soup or a salad with all your meals- helps you feel fuller and gives you necessary nutrients.

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
I second Debbies remarks. I was stumped with a bad plateau over the last month too. I'd gotten so stressed about not seeing my numbers drop that I upped my exercise without adding calories. It's like writing checks but not depositing money. You just cant do it and get away with it.
IF your charting system says to burn 600 calories then stay with that or drop some for a week or so and add another 100 to 200 calories on the days that you work out more. If your body decides that you are doing too much without feeding it enough, it will balk and sit down right in the alley like an immoveable 2 year old's tantrum.
I've actually bumped my daily caloric load about 200 calories and dropped a bit of my exercise and I've lost 2.5 lbs since Thursday last week.
Try it, what have you got to lose?
k

southernmissy06 responded:
Make sure and change up your exercise routine. The key is to keep your body guessing. If you have been doing the same exercises for at least 6 weeks, it is time to do something else for the next 4-6 weeks. Also, one cheat meal (not to exceed 1500 calories) once per week is great when you are trying to shock your body. I know it sounds like the opposite of what you should do but it works, plus you can partake in a junk food item without feeling guilty. Good luck!