Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Exercise for the older folks
Jemmy posted:
First time here. I am older, have worked hard all of my life and have problems with arthritis of the lower extremity joints. When I do cardiovascular exercises to lose weight I have increased pain in my hips and knees and I tire easily. It seems that I have lost the motivation that I need. Anyone else with this type of concern? What have you done that is successful?

An_249817 responded:
I am 63 and have been working out for the past twelve years at a local gym. Two years ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both my knees. I have had to modify my exercise program because of my knee pain. I found that water aerobics really helps. I take a class twice a week. I also found that working out on an elliptical machine helps. I do some strength training twice a week including leg exercises that a physical therapist recommended. It is important to keep the supporting muscles around your knees strong. You can find some good exercises on the internet for people with arthritis. I feel a lot better when I keep moving. I hope this info is helpful.

dodier replied to An_249817's response:
I found your comments very enlightening! I too suffer from osteoarthritis, mainly in one of my knees. I take water aerobics 3 times a week but would like to supplement this w/ outdoor walking - have you tried that? Does the walking surface make a difference on the impact while walking? Also, do you find upper body exercise to help as well?

Alandun responded:
Also first time here. I'm 83 and have exercised (walking and running) for the past 30 years. Over the past 8 years a knee injury sustained when young got worse and I changed from walking and running to a daily hour at the gym. I wear a knee support full time and do cardio (cycling machine) and a variety of strength exercises. The program designed for me by my instructor includes three sets of 10 minute cardio, followed by three sets of different stretching and muscle building machines. Total time 60/70 minutes daily four or five times a week. I am at my ideal weight and feel great. I must admit that keeping it up takes a daily decision making process.

Alandun replied to An_249817's response:
Sorry, mistakenly put my age at 63, I'm actually 83.

imahaug responded:
I have started using the Fitness WI. It is fun, you can do it at your own speed and select the activities you want, when you want. It tells you how you are doing, what your WI age is according to your weight, flexibility, and balance. Try it, you will enjoy it.

mediweb responded:
Remember the motto...if old age is catching up on you ,walk faster!

TooOld4855 replied to imahaug's response:
also have a hard time getting into excerise because of
my knees hurting and my body.
i am only 60 yrs old and i would like to lose some weight. my question is, are you talking about wii fitness games? and if you are, which game are you using? i would like to try your method of excerise.

rubysteps responded:
Have you tried water activities, the have less impact on your joints

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Cece. For the past year, I've been counting my calories and exercising in the gym. So far I've lost 60 lbs and I want to lose anoth...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.