My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Burning too many calories a day from walking. Can't imagine consuming much more.
notentirely posted:
Hello, all! I'm a 28-year-old male, 5'6'' at 176 lbs trying to get down to the 115-155 range. My weight has been static for a couple years now and I only recently learned through webmd that it's probably due to a calorie deficit. You see, I suffer from a severe anxiety disorder that has resulted in my only ever working part time and never having a driver's license (currently working on both, but it''s a very slow process). As such, I don't have a lot of money for food and have historically eaten about two decidedly unhealthy meals a day, usually value menu fast food stuff.

I'm now getting extra food money from my dad and can afford to eat much more healthy stuff and more of it, but the problem is, after years of eating so poorly I simply don't have the appetite to consume the 1,900 calories a day the webmd recommends (BEFORE fitness is factored in. The "sweet spot" is around 1650 after exercise). To top it off, I am an extremely hyper person who can barely tolerate sitting still for more than a half hour or so. This, coupled with my lack of transportation and a library job that has me on my feet most of the day means I burn anywhere from 700 to 1,000 calories a day just walking (according to the pedometer on my phone).

So what can I do? Walking less is simply not an option as I have too much energy and being sedentary for too long is mentally unbearable. And I worry that if I exercise more, either with more vigorous cardio or strength training (I can barely pull off 8 push-ups) that it'll only make my deficit worse. It seems like all I can do is eat more, but that becomes a chore and physically challenging given my low appetite. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

abnersmom responded:
Hi notentirely,

I'm "not entirely" sure what your question is. it seems to me if your weight is stable and you are not losing from "burning too many calories walking" then you might be eating more calories than you realize. Do you use a food tracker as well as your pedometer? Just wondering. Also, the experts say that building muscle with strength training will increase your metabolism. That might help you lose weight if that is what you are really asking about.

The main problem may be medications you are taking for anxiety. Perhaps talking to your doctor about all this would be best. Good luck!
Debbie -SW 265 -CW 150 maintaining

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Not,
Debbie is right about your meds possibly making you gain and retain weight. For sure ask your dr for advise on this.
As for your unhealthy diet.... are you aware that greasy , high fat and sugary foods actually could be the CAUSE of some of your anxiety? A poor diet maintained over a long period of time can cause all sorts of maladies. Anxiety, depression, hypertension, hyperactivity.... ummm , YOUR maladies, lol.
Now that you have some extra money, let's look at your diet and how to make some changes.
In order to eat more healthfully, it's imperitive to eat more fresh fruits, vegetables and fresh non processed meats.
For you, with your high activity level, LOTS and LOTS of lean , dense proteins are definitely in order. You should also be getting in quite a few "good fats" and high fiber items, like leafy greens (I don't mean lettuce here) that give you high NUTRITION levels and not just water, like lettuce. You need Baby spinach, Kale, collard, mustard, and turnip greens... all can be eaten raw, lightly steamed or even baked.
You need to focus on healthy nutritious calories to make the biggest changes.
I don't suggest following any one diet in particular,ever, but with your enegy level and needs, there are two that come to mind that if you read up on them, may open your eyes to some basic ideas about nutrition and healthy lifestyles.
I suggest that you read up on them, but keep and OPEN MIND about them and what you want to take away from their ideas because there is NO diet that is IDEAL for any one person. It's always best to pick and choose among a variety of diet ideas to get something that is balanced and works best with your personal goals and lifestyle needs.
The first thing to read up on is the Paleo diet. This diet bans all grains and some of the more hard core branches ban all potatos and beans too.....just keep an open mind like i said.
Below you will find some links that I have found and use some of the recipes from
The second is the American Diabetic Association, and Diabetes.org recipes... I know you didn't say anything about having Diabetes, but everyone has "slumps" during the day if they don't eat right, right? Those are caused by low sugar / high sugar peaks and valleys.... The Diabetes diets can keep you literally on an even keel with energy all day long because they show you how to eat and snack healthfully.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/diabetes-meal-plans-and-a-healthy-diet.html

http://zenbellyblog.com/

http://www.amazingpaleo.com/about-me/

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/

Again, these are just ideas for you to try. Things that you may want to incorporate into your healthy quest for a better life.
I know that before I started my journey, 70 lbs ago, I had High Blood pressure and had just been put on meds that I was going to have to take for the rest of my life.... at 50 lbs lighter, my Dr took away that 'script.
You can get healthier by eating better. You may actually be able to get rid of your anxiety behaviors.
Stop drinking sodas, even and ESPECIALLY anything artificially sweetened. Use natural sugar in very low amounts , Natural and good for you fats, use the most natural choices, like lard for crisco, coconut/olive/or grapeseed oil for reg cooking oils, etc. , butter for margarine. If it's manmade and has a lot of LAB created items in the ingredients list... avoid it if you can.
hope this helps

Spotlight: Member Stories

Determined to be in better shape than I was in high school. No more excuses. I am 32 years old, 5'6''. I had thyroid cancer when I was 18,...More

Helpful Tips

Some motivation tips! Laugh it off!
I needed a little humor today and found some great funny sayings on the internet (Thanks Dan Worona ) to help motivate me. COMMIT TO BE ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.