Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
need help..
An_249925 posted:
Hi,I m exchange student in USA! I m 17.. when i came here i was 108 lbs but now i am 145 lbs! First days,i always watched out my portion,food,drinks.. And i was drinking water like crazy.. But then i used to here,i used to my family's food plan. And now i m eating big plates,drink more pub,and eat more snacks... And i cant stop to eating its so strange. I just want to eat like ALWAYS... And now i hate my body! i m going summit 4 times a week,but its just not work because i am eating so much! I just cant stop to eating,its not going to good i really need help or advice. Its affect everything;my social life,my lessons,my happiness.. I want to be happy in my exchange year!!

totallywiggedout responded:
When I was in high school, our exchange student, Hannah, did the same thing. She was from Denmark and it surprised most of us that she had such a voracious appetite for chocolate. She found that it was so cheap over here, that she literally went hog wild on the stuff, explaining that although Sweden made tons of chocolate, it was mostly for export, and to buy it over there was way too expensive so noone had the chocolate habit that is so easily attainable here in the States.
Her sponsor family also did her no favors by doing exactly what yours seem to be doing. Overfeeding with the idea that they are sharing the "abundance" of our nation and lifestyle.
It's pure crap. All you have to do is start getting your own portions on your plate. Don't let them just fill your plate for you. Talk to the mother or whomever and discuss your weight concerns and tell her you would like to have more fresh vegetables and fruits to help balance your diet out.
This sponsor family is stretching their weekly income for food to feed one more this year, so they are probably going with cheaper cuts of fattier meats, lots of pastas and rice and maybe even beans. This stuff is ok in moderation, but not as a main meal, more like a small side dish.
It's probably going to be hard to make your needs known without making someone feel a bit bad, but just letting yourself go, and letting them "feed" you like this isn't going to help you in the long run.
Start a food and fitness log here on webmd, log everything you eat, measure and weigh it so you know EXACTLY what you are eating, and watch the labels for calories, fats, sugars and sodium PER SERVING. A single candy bar is usually 2 serving sizes unless otherwise stated on the pkg. same with a Pepsi or whathave you.
It's confusing for someone who lives here, I can't imagine how it would be to be visiting from another country.
hope this helps some
kim

Spotlight: Member Stories

Insulin Resistance. Seems to be my life's curse! I was a healthy up until a car accident in my mid teens, and after that, my health spiraled downw...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.