Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
need to lose weight
Mrs_unique1 posted:
Hi, I'm a 55yr old Africa American women going through menopause, and I just stop smoking 6mos ago, I am having the hardest time losing weight. I have been trying for about 2mos, and so far I've gained, I'm walking every other day and eating low fat,(some of the time) what I do eat contains hardly any fat, and my sugar intake is almost not any. What am I doing wrong. I am healthy with join muscles pretty good, I can walk at least 30mins to 1hour every other day. So I ask again, what am I doing wrong

Take the Poll

I love bananas, are they the reason I can't lose weight?
  • diet
  • exserice
  • foods
  • sex
  • stress related
vote
View Poll Results

blsally responded:
I'm 52 and thought the same thing.

I have lost 10 lbs. since I realized what it was going to take more of an effort than I was accustomed to, I was walking 3 miles a day and I thought I was eating well. To change I bought a gym membership and exercise 4 days a week and started counting my calories. I'm much healthier and happy and I know what I need to do!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Mrs_
At 55 you have to work almost twice as hard and eat little more than 1/2 of what you were able to at 25. Your body ages and your metabolism slows down.
You need to do some sort of DAILY exercise. not just every other day. Try charting out a mile and walking that every morning for a month.
You also are saying "hardly any" of this or that, A LOT, lol.
Hardly any suggests that you really have NO idea exactly how much sugar, fats and carbs that you really are consuming.
I suggest that you fill in a food and fitness planner either here on webmd or on Fitday.com. When it asks how much daily exercise you do, put in the LOWEST possible choice. This will give you the best overall suggestions about how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for on a daily basis.
Buy a food scale and use your measuring cups/spoons to measure out EXACTLY how much you are eating, and chart it ALL. This means the oils you cook your foods in, your coffee creamer, you sweeteners....everything.... literally nothing is 0 calories other than black coffee/tea and water.
Stay well away from diet sodas and other things that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Use Stevia , agave or something else that's all natural.
Try to bake or roast things that you would normally fry. Use PAM or Crisco non stick sprays not oils or fats.
If you do use oils , switch to Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil or food grade Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Although these are high calorie additives which you still need to count, they are healthier options than corn,vegetable or shortenings.
As for your poll question, bananas are ok. Although the riper they get, the more calories and sugars they have. This is true, btw. And since they don't have fiber, they won't fill you up as well as a crunchy apple or pear, or even strawberries.
hope this helps some
kim

MKissFL replied to totallywiggedout's response:
It's so much fun and a relief to hear another female describe the over 55 body. Now we just need to figure out what to do with ourselves and the next 30-40 expected years of our lives!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 22 years old. Just finished Nursing School. Graduated with my Associates Degree Registered Nursing Licence in May. Got married at the end of July...More

Helpful Tips

Some motivation tips! Laugh it off!
I needed a little humor today and found some great funny sayings on the internet (Thanks Dan Worona ) to help motivate me. COMMIT TO BE ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.