Welcome to the Club! No fees to pay, no contract to sign, all that is needed -
Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
Excerise
An_254456 posted:
I'm wondering if being 52 and into menapause is hindering my weight loss. I've been on WW seems like forever done very well in past, but lately I don't understand whats going on. I excerise about 3-4 days a week nothing strenous trust me but atleast I'm moving. I walk/run treadmill then elliptical. Also seems like my legs are getting bigger. I just don't understand. Plese help me!!!!

marknanrog responded:
I know for me it is partly a slower metabolism, but partly not really keeping track of what I eat. I forget the little things matter unless I track what I eat on WebMD. WHen I record it all, it is an eye opener.

brunosbud responded:
Back up, further. Brain, heart, liver, kidney and lung function begin, effectively, declining at age 30. In other words, decline in body repair and recovery actually begins decades before most people think. We can slow (and, in some cases, reverse) the aging process through diet, rest and exercise. "Gravity" stars George Clooney, 52, and Sandra Bullock, 50 next July, look younger and more fit than most 30Somethings. They're both workout and healthy food fanatics.

In the wild, the reduction of estrogen (btw, mestruation is a huge calorie burning process) is all about conservation of energy & adjusting mental and physical limits to the diminishing demands of natural aging. This is exactly what you don't want if you're overweight. Thus, the immediate tendency is to go on a diet.

Wrong!

You would think by now that everyone knows that "starving" does nothing for weight loss but make matters worse. If you thought that, I'd congratulate you since reducing calorie intake confuses the thyroid that starvation is taking place and less hormone is released, thereby, slowing metabolism even further. But, we all know you're smarter than that! You have to move, more, if you want to counteract the effects of menopause.

marknanrog replied to brunosbud's response:
That's true, but a healthy diet is also important. Our society consumes way too much sugar and processed foods. If a person fills up on that kind of food, I don't think all the exercise he/she can do will result in weight loss.

brunosbud replied to marknanrog's response:
There's only one way to long-term weight loss. That road includes a fresh, whole food diet and being active, everyday. Of course, one without the other does not accomplish the goal.

We are welcome to try detours and experiment with shortcuts along the way. No matter...The right path is always available and everyone is equally welcomed to take it. There are people who want to deny themselves "access" due to cost, injury opportunity or "slow metabolism". This neither affects or harms anyone but themselves, thus, they shouldn't be looked down upon for their decisions and choices. It's a free country. We do what we want. Being overweight is a lifestyle that most people prefer because it offers far more enjoyable options. In the eyes of most Americans, being unhealthy offers far more "happiness" than being healthy... That's no great revelation, is it? It's projected by the CDC that by the year 2050, 1 in 3 Americans will have diabetes.

Regardless, the path is clear and there's little ambiguity or confusion about how to lose the weight and keep it off for good. I congratulate anyone who makes the decision to opt for healthy. Swimming against the tide is always very difficult and the current only gets stronger with each passing year. Good luck and happy 2014!

michelesa replied to brunosbud's response:
Wow!!! Thought I was just asking a simply question.Also just wanted some feed back from women my age. Not all your lecture!!! Guess this was a mistake !!!

brunosbud replied to michelesa's response:
So sorry you can't benefit for any of my words. Maybe, you can find time to thank "marknanrog" for their effort. Good luck to you and hope 2014 brings some nice results for you.

wwwcheers2anewucom responded:
check out my website www.cheers2anewu.com
we all types of products that may fit your needs....I actually have vitamins for menopause on my site. and many more products that will help.....

Spotlight: Member Stories

im almost 50 and i need to get fit and healthy so i can enjoy my grandkids and be around for a long time

Helpful Tips

Some motivation tips! Laugh it off!
I needed a little humor today and found some great funny sayings on the internet (Thanks Dan Worona ) to help motivate me. COMMIT TO BE ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.