Pounds to lose!

Helpful links - Healthy Eating and Diet Center
Food and Recipes Center
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Food & Cooking Community
New to the Community
bdav1965 posted:
Looking for tips.
Started trying to lose weight yesterday (3/24/14). Logging what I ate and will log ex3rcise. I am on the kidney transplant list and I am currently doing dialysis (peritoneal). The doctor saod that I should not lift weights as it could cause a hernia. What type of esercises can I do to help shed the pounds. ?I'm trying to lose 25-50.

brunosbud responded:
Walk. One step at a time. Start with just 10 minutes. Add tiny increases in both speed and duration, daily. Build your endurance and strength from the ground, up.

Walking manages stress and anxiety.
Walking strengthens your heart.
Walking reduces blood pressure.
Walking normalizes and stabilizes blood glucose.
Walking reduces triglycerides and increases HDL.
Walking enhances mood and outlook.
Walking sharpens focus and resolve.

If you notice, all of these benefits (of walking) will work to protect your kidneys (& your liver, brain, heart, lungs and immune system, too) while you wait for your "transplants".
Who knows, maybe if you walk far enough, your dr may conclude you won't need new ones, after all.

Forget "exercise" and forget about "losing 25-50"! Just buy a pedometer and start building the number of steps you take, everyday. I started over 10 years ago and during that time I've taken close to 50,000,000 steps! It's been a long, long time when I last thought about "exercise" or "losing weight". I was to busy walking, I guess...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am not usually one for support groups, but I'm really reaching for inspiration these days. I'm 37 years old, and at 180 lbs (and 5'3&quo...More

Helpful Tips

Biggest Loser Wanna Be
Just came back from a conference and heard Dr. Dansinger from the Biggest Loser speak. He was very inspirational to me as a 'loser wannabe' ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.