Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How I handle my cravings for the stuff I shouldn't eat
deepbluejeanne posted:
What I do if I really want to have something like a donut or a shake, pizza, big mac, anything.... I force myself to wait two days... If, after two days have passed and I still want to have that treat... I have it!!!! 9 times out of 10 I don't want it anymore... I also only eat half of whatever it is.... I've got one more day of waiting and I may have a strawberry shake at Norm's.

dada1j responded:
Great tip! There's nothing like postponing instant gratification in ALL areas of life. Sometimes it will keep us from making even bigger mistakes, such as buying the wrong car, house, etc.

What I also do is to rationalize the calories. i.e. my housekeeper offered me a Godiva chocolate with caramel center with 220 calories....yikes! I was like it would take me 30 minutes on the elliptical at 5 mph to burn that one chocolate off......no thanks!

Jis4Judy responded:
that accually works
I used something like that for Ice cream I put a condition on it that said I can have icecream if I stay on plan a whole month...but for other little ones like chocolate delayed consumption can help ...
Hugs Judy:)

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to dada1j's response:
Have you seen the new Dr. Peeke blog post on 10 Tips and Tools to Stop Your Binges?

It has some good ideas too.

Tomato05 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I would add to Dr. Peeke's advice: Try to distract yourself, with anything other than food!

When you get busy with something else, you can "forget" abotut eating for a while, and by then the binge urge may be much weaker.

feduptwice replied to Tomato05's response:
That is true-when i feel like having something that is not good for me I try to distract myself usually with ironing. I always have a lot to iron between me ,DH and 2 daughters

Jis4Judy replied to feduptwice's response:
me too mia if I engage in a project that take my attention off food it is a big help...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW153ish m God, grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change; The courage to change the things that I can; And the wisdom to know the difference. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see .... Well, I've been overweight the majority of my life. I've been content but not really happy, though. I would like to do some...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.