Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need to lose about 40 lbs in the next 5 months.... do-able?
Tessemasgirl posted:
I currently weigh 226 lbs. I am getting married May 28th 2011. In november I will be be buying a wedding dress. I know that once you get a dress, they can only take in 2 sizes. And to NEVER buy a dress in a smaller size than what you are "just in case" you dont lose weight at all. Therefore, I would like to lose alot of weight by the time I try on dresses. I want to exercise an hour before work, on my lunch, and two hours before bed. I know its alot and I definitely need ALOT of motivation but I need to do this for me. I have absolutely NO self control. I am planning to use sparkpeople.com to track my food and eat 1200-1400 calories a day. Like I said, I have no self control and I really dont know what to do to get in the right state of mind for this. Any advice? Is 40 lbs in 5 months do-able? Technically it is 2 lbs a week. I would really love it if I could do 3-4lbs a week.

pallzy responded:
40 pounds in 5 months is doable. 2 pounds a week is your best bet to keep the weight you lose off. If you need incentive to not try to lose faster, just think how bad it would suck if you lost your 40 pounds and got the dress, then gained some back before the wedding. Losing faster than 2 pounds a week really adds to the yo-yo effect.

My best tip to get motivated is to take a picture of a beatiful dress from one of the bride magazines and tape it to your fridge. I also used to keep my scale in the kitchen. But don't anymore, the DH doesn't find that one funny.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 164

LivvySue replied to pallzy's response:
i think 2 lbs a week is a high goal. 1 lb a week is more reasonable and if more comes off, that's great.

musique913 responded:
I think the more you try to constrict yourself on a diet, pressure yourself to exercise that much, and put a deadline on what you "need" to lose by November, the less likely you are going to be able to lose.

It's June, you can really lose weight, but you don't have to force your body into submission to do it. I've lost 84 pounds, mostly by getting in touch with my body, eating what it wants but in small portions, and stopping when I'm full. I eat six times a day, so I'm hardly ever hungry. I eat when I feel I need energy.

I exercise 30-45 minutes a day, walking. I also tone twice a week. I'm healthy and not stressed, and I haven't gained it back..

I wish you luck, and hope you can succeed in what you want to do. Take care!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
First-Why do you want to lose weight for the wedding/dress trying on? I know it seems like a simplistic question but the answer will really say whether you will achieve your goal.

I highly recommend Dr. Pam Peeke's series-think small lose big which starts with this post: For Lasting Change, Start with a Power Mind.

Journal. Post daily. Ask for lots of support. Share the good parts and start thinking about what situations are problematic.

jean4vr responded:
OK, I get it that you want to look good for your wedding. With that said. I think you are more likely to deal with the stress of preparing for a wedding by approaching this as a "healthy" lifestyle change.

Is your fiance overweight?

You say you have NO self control. I'm not a big fan of losing wt. for an "event". But if you are motivated by the wedding, and can stay on a healthy eating plan and exercise....good!

I would hate to see you gain some or all back after the wedding.

The spark site has really good recipes.

GOOD LUCK!!

justmejust responded:
Hi Tessemasgirl, Congratulations on your engagement.

That is a wonderful time of life which may also be stressful. I was a stress eater so I gained a few pounds before my wedding. I had my dress fitted before the wedding, but it was slightly tight by the big day.

It is important to keep in mind how many years it took you to gain the extra weight. It may take that long to remove it, so be open to a longer view of this. If you succeed sooner, that will be a plus! A lifestyle change is more successful than a short term fix.

Instead of concentrating on what you cannot have, focus on the foods you can have. I like to concentrate on getting all the delicious fresh vegetables (kale, romaine) and fruits (blueberries, peaches) and grains (rolled oats, fresh whole wheat and multi grain breads), beans (lima, black) and fat free milk and yogurt, and variety of lean meat (salmon, chicken).

I just joined this group, so I haven't succeeded yet with this, this is what my current plan is at only three days here.

Best wishes in your wonderful journey! Please keep posting!
My story is I need to loose eighty pounds. Thanks for being here Dieting Club: 50-100 Lbs Community!! SW 225 / GW 145 / CW 225 Laura : )

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Ironcally the harder you try the harder it will be to lose weight our bodies are very complex and we have to sort of remove weight without the body being aware of it..
too much exercise is not good 45 minutes a day is perfect..
eat as healthy as you can make the plan something you can do for the rest of your life eat to live well not for that perfect look that doesn;t exist... You should avoid proccessed foods and eat better for you whole foods ...
My weight while I was paying attention to nutrition was approx 2 pounds a week the first few months and then it dropped to 1 pound a week and so on as you get closer to goal it slows .
and be aware a smaller body needs less calories to keep it at that size so there is no going back to old eating habits .
I hope your wedding is all you dreamed it would be
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

Low_Stress_Weight_Loss replied to justmejust's response:
I think this is great advice : "Instead of concentrating on what you cannot have, focus on the foods you can have."

I very much agree that putting the focus on something positive (enough color, veggies, water, etc) helps avoid feelings of deprivation!
PROGRESS, not Perfection !

CinnaApple88 responded:
Its def doable, Im 22 and doing similar things to lose my wieght. 1200 calories and only ONE hour a day of excersize is safe, more than that isnt and this should give you roughly 2 lbs a week. Stay safe and Good LUCK!

Spotlight: Member Stories

im 20 and at 215! i was 120 only a few years ago, i feel like i cant lose weight i dont even know how i let myself get so big i just want to stop bein...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.