Skip to content
Any suggestions for mindless eating?
1biteatatime posted:
Hi All, I am new to WebMD and am hoping for your suggestions. I lost 40 lbs 5 years ago and have been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs for the last three yrs. I was widowed 4 yrs ago and live alone. When I am home I do OK. I try and make healthy choices when eating at restaurants. Its when I go over to friends houses that I eat whatever I'm offered. I don't know how to say no. Does anyone have any suggestions for mindless eating? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

blondie454u responded:
One thing that helped on that is writing things down that I ate. This way I could see the calories adding up and I would slow down the eating and be mindful of what I am eating. I also ask the question to myself "is this food I'm going to eat have any nutrients in it that body could use?" If the answer is no I put it back and find something that does. Hope this helps.
Amber CW 129, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hi about eating at a friends house learn to say no thanks
I'll just have a cup of tea with you...
If you have been invited to dinner take small servings
fill up on vegies ...
and as Amber said keep a journal of your food choices
writing it down just knowing you are writeing it down can help you make better choices..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

StretchyMcSteppy responded:
Restaurants are killers, learn the menus and try to go to the places you know. Be firm. If you like yourself 5 pounds down, I understand that! I'm with you-- Some restaurants use additives and well, chemical crap we wouldn't add to food at home, so there's that to consider.

1biteatatime responded:
Thanks for all of the good advice. I'm starting a food journal right away. I've often wondered about the restaurant food additives. Lately it seems like restaurant food is very salty but I figured it was me since I use little or no salt when cooking. I swore off fast food several years ago and that's what started my weight loss journey. Do all restaurants have to have food nutrition available for their menu selections?

Thanks again .

blondie454u replied to 1biteatatime's response:
Yes most of them do. How I deal with restaurant eating is I go to their website and find something in my calorie range. This way my mind is made up before I get there. I order lemon water to drink and I only order the meal that I set in mind. I also put half of it in a to go box as soon as they bring it to me and I will have a nice lunch the next day.
Amber CW 129, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

jean4vr replied to blondie454u's response:
I'm with you Amber, the to go boxes are a way of life for me. And the ice water w/lemon, always.

Dressing for salads always on the side and no croutons. I will allow myself 1 roll or bread slice IF wheat or multigrain. NO butter or margarine.

I eat out fairly often. And have made lifestyle changes I can live with.

Good luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 5'6" and weigh 225 lbs. My goal weight is 150 lbs which is -75 lbs. I have "dieted my way up" by crash diets and super strict ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.