Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Losing weight when you are older...
Irishreign posted:
I guess I need to be inspired. I'm 68 yrs old and having great difficulty losing the weight I have piled on over the past 10 years. I have arthritis in all my joints, so I find exercising painful. I do try to do as much as I can and ignore the pain, as I don't want it to take over and stop me completely.

Would like to know of others in this situation and how you are dealing and being successful. I need to lose at least 100 lbs, so I have a long way to go.

Appreciate your success and am very happy you've done it now, instead of waiting til you are my age. It is so much harder now than it was when I was younger!

hibbardo responded:
I am reading a book that may provide you some inspiration "Younger Next Year". The authors talk about our biology and how aging is unavoidable but decay is preventable and if we exercise 6 days a week, eat well and stay connected with other people we can expect to live through our 80s and into our 90s with the health we had (or would have had if we'd taken care of ourselves) when we were 50. It's very readable and positive and funny.

I admire you for trying to make these changes when many people are lying down and giving up. No reason you can't succeed if you figure out what's interfering with your plan. I'm there myself trying to figure it out and making slow - very slow progress.

Hibbardo

jis4judy responded:
Hi you are right it is harder for us older folks
I started my plan when I was 61 and now I am the same age as you 68. when I cleaned up my eating habits the weight most of it came off in the first year getting exercise is important but not nearly as important as getting the food right..this you should be able to do ...it is never too late to start a healthy journey..
I found these 2 sites helpful for my nutrition quest

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

http://www.fitday.com/

welcome aboard Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

StretchyMcSteppy responded:
When I hit age 40 I believed all of the people who told me I would start to pack on the pounds, I starting eating more and moving less. I was told perimenopause was coming soon and I'd gain even more weight. I believed what people said. I looked much older than my age and had a double chin, severe knee trouble, breathing trouble, getting seasonal allergies, developed back trouble, and was waiting around for menopause to mess with me even more! One day I hit bottom and I said what have I got to lose by thinking positive and really giving it my very best? Now I'm in my late 50's and people guess my age to be about 40. I have more energy than ever before. I love working out and love eating a mostly vegan diet, altho I can eat anything I want to. I really love my food. I feel so young! ---no sign of menopause and no pms anymore either---! I lost the knee pain, and back trouble--I haven't had pain or any allergies in years. Look, I don't care if I live to 100 or just to age 60 -- what I care about is that the rest of my time on earth is positive. I can go out of this life right now, knowing I really took care of my mind , body and spirit. It was hard at first, and I did it alone & without spending $. I wanted it that way. Now I'm maintaining and toning my body and spiritual side every day. My brain seems to work better, I've been more creative, and I'm sleeping better. There is no way I would ever go back to that sluggish woman who believed that she was aging & might as well give up.I'm in much better shape than a lot of 30 year olds (my doctors tell me this all of the time-- and it makes me know I'm doing the right thing. 30 year olds ask me for fitness advice. )
Optimal nutrition will help with joint pain. I eat a lt of fruits and veggies. Frozen and fresh. I drink a lot of water and take vitamins. I'm doing better at my job than ever before. The mental fog is gone. I get up every day ready to be active.

t is never ever too late. I've met women in their 70's & 80s who took up ballet, senior yoga or t'ai chi and changed their lives completely. All of them lost significant weight and gained muscle tone. t'ai chi is so gentle. There's a lot of gentle exercise out there that is powerful too.

StretchyMcSteppy responded:
PSI'm not saying I don't look mature, wrinkles etc... or that I'm not aging--I am, and I hope when menopause comes I will be glad and positive about the transition. I like being older but it is noice to FEEL younger.

jean4vr replied to StretchyMcSteppy's response:
Hi Irish,

I started on these boards in Jan 2010. I was 64 then, now 65. I've lost 24 lbs. Need to lose more but it's about gettting a healthy lifestyle that matters.

By the way don't you ever see the weather guy on GMA who wishes the l00 yr old's birthdays ...they go on forvever, the list of 100 yr olds. People ARE living longer.

It is NOT too late.

Get yourself one of those pedlars. You can sit in any chair and peddle. Or put it on a table and get arm workout. I use mine while on computer.

Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I am a 27 year old mom of 3.. hoping to be of 4.. and have always been a little on the chunky side all my life, but as I was finishing junior h...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.