Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Evil PMS and cravings
fedupagain posted:
i so crave salt and bagles. I just had huge hot straight from the oven bagle that i put lettuce,tomato,onion and 2 slices of ham on it-decided that it would be my dinner. And i cannot put away the bag of salted,roasted sunflower seeds. Lucky for me is so hot here that i dont feel like my favorite craving-chili cheese fries:)
I was pretty good all day but i added some noodles to my homemade tomato soup for lunch-i guess its carbs that i crave the most. My cousin just texted me telling me she is bringing pasta with vodka sauce on sunday-we having a bbq -my little one just turned 3 on 07/07. She was born 07/07/07-we going to vegas soon:) I love vodka sauce- maybe i will put it on my chicken so i dont eat all that pasta. Got popchips to munch on but avoid all that fat from regular chips. How come my PMS lasts 5-7 days? is it like that for anyone else?
Mia 5'9, SW260'ish/CW179/GW 155-160, mommy of 3 and 6 yo girls
FirstPrevious12NextLast

blondie454u responded:
Mia,

My cravings start the week before I actually start my period. I just got off my last week and I'm still having cravings. I went way over my calorie limit yesterday. I think I know what the problem is. I don't actually take a lunch just a bunch of little snacks. Not really in the mood to eat an actual meal. So next week I'm going to take a lunch to see if that helps with the cravings.
Amber CW 129-132 maintaining, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Marci320 replied to blondie454u's response:
My PMS and cravings start the week before I start my period too (I am PMSing as I write this). I usually eat more during this time and just deal with it. My meals are carb fests although I try to keep it healthy. If I don't do that, I will eventually overeat. Any other time, I'm happy with veggies and protein. So, I would allow yourself to have a small portion of the pasta and enjoy it rather that just putting the sauce over the chicken.

I crave sweets during this time too so I went to the market this week to get myself bigger ice cream treats. I've been satisfied with the 90 calorie Twix ice cream bars but ended up getting Bryer's chocolate ice cream sandwiches which are 70 more calories, a larger serving, and ALL chocolate.

My PMS lasts about a week so I can relate. Just hang in there!

fedupagain replied to Marci320's response:
I also noticed that right after my PMS and first 2 days of my period are over my weight just droppes and even it is usually a pound or two less then before-weird isnt it? Marci i do give in-i also try to pick as best options as possible-hence-chickem with vodka sauce instead of huge bowl of pasta:) Amber i am sure that i go over my calorie limit at least 4 of my 7 days of PMSig. But i do exercise daily anyway-take advil for cramps and get on my elliptical no matter what, it so makes me feel good and less guilty about eating too much. In a way i think we women are lucky that we have that PMS excuse-and i mean it-we can barely control it but we rip the benefits of it-at least i am:)))))))

jean4vr replied to fedupagain's response:
I no longer have periods,,,,BUT when I did I had cravings for salty things like chips and then I would have to have sweets like ice cream. Those two things were a necesssicty. I no longer crave ice cream. I still like my salty crunchy snacks.

It definitely is much harder to keep the same weight when you have these hormone ups and downs. Even if you maintain the same weight you just feel bloated.

I swear, before I went thru menapause, there were only 2 weeks out of the month when I felt I could maintain a normal/unbloated feeling.

Now, post-menapause it is much easier and I don't have the PMS reasons for sporadic weight gain. Much, much easier to control the cravings.

Barb Jean

Marci320 replied to jean4vr's response:
I've maintained the same weight all week but I am bloated. Yuck. Like you, Mia, I drop weight afterwards. One time I lost 7 pounds! I tend to give in to cravings in as well, so don't feel like you are alone in that, but like you, I just try to keep it to a minimum as much as I can. Do you find that you are hungrier during PMS? I swear I had a snack before I went to the gym tonight, got in the car to go there, and my stomach was growling! Has happened a lot this week. Argh!

You make menopause sound more fun, Barb. I'm headed in that direction soon.

Jis4Judy replied to Marci320's response:
Oh Menopause was no fun for me it was like being in a PMS stage for 5 or 6 years . I found out after it was over that if I ate healthier it would have been easier less symptms like being hot all the time night sweats ,,mood swings...
now that it is over it isn;t so bad accualy nice ...
keep your healthy habits through the menopause and maybe you won;t be miserable like I was ...I tried to cool myself off with ice cream to my detriment Thats how I gained 100 pounds ,,in 5 years...
Oh BTW I weighed in this moring 152 after all those indulgences , I didn;t weigh in for the last 2 weeks I waited till I was back on plan for at least 2 days ... I am not exerciseing as much either I have a sore foot ...
Going to a baby shower this afternoon so there maybe a fall off the wagon today we shall see..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

fedupagain replied to Jis4Judy's response:
I am definitely feeling more hungry during my PMS. And my portions are bigger. I still try to control what i eat but for example i just had nice breakfast and i still had a feeling that i need something so i ate a banana. Ate almost the whole bag of my salty and roasted sunflower seeds. I am jumping on my elliptical in about 1/2 hour! I am not affraid of menapause yet and i dont even know what to think about it since i never saw anyone going thru that. Not even my mom since she was back in Poland and i was here at that time. I wonder if that is true that if you take hormones you will gain weight?

Marci320 replied to fedupagain's response:
I am happy to hear that someone else is experiencing what I am with hunger during PMS and that I'm not going insane. All this week I've finished my meals and still am not satisfied. The other night I finished dinner and a half hour later had a flatbread with some Laughing Cow Cheese because I was still hungry.

I take a low dosage of hormones already because my periods are so irregular. When I went off them (my own stupid idea), I bled for 50 days straight and ended up in the hospital for a blood transfusion. For me, I didn't notice weight gain but then I was overweight and probably didn't notice anyway.

Judy, I've heard so many differing menopause stories that I think everyone has their own experience and you just deal with it, good or bad. I'm hoping that eating healthier will help me get through it. Can't imagine 6 years of PMS! Big hugs to you for having to go through that!

pallzy replied to Marci320's response:
I am going through menopause right now. And although I eat pretty darn healthy right now, it doesn't stop the night sweats and hot flashes. But, who knows, maybe it would be worse if I was still eating like I used to.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 162

fedupagain replied to pallzy's response:
Sheryl excuse me for being to up front-but i hope we friends here-how come you being so young is going through menopause??? I am 35 right now and i thought that i have at least another 20 years-i am not even sure that i am done having babies........are you taking hormones? what are they suppose to do anyway? whay women think that taking them will make you fat?

jean4vr replied to Marci320's response:
Marci, what you say about approaching menapause reminded me that I was not aware of the term "peri-pause". That a woman actually goes thru this for several yrs. BEFORE menapause. I think that the PMS (don't shoot the messenger here) actually intesifies (is that even possible),

When I was going thru this, I had a dear friend who would joke,Yeah, life is not fair we are losing our hormones, we are having to raise teenagers and their hormones are over-loaded!LOL

Well, back to that "peripause" thing, I definitely would have researched that to get more info.. Maybe do some natural products, like "evening of primrose oil', etc.

You gals are lucky to have the internet to get info. I really used this to gather info. for my 2 big surgeries.

Knowledge IS power!

Barbjean

Jis4Judy replied to fedupagain's response:
Mia My sister went through menopause at 45 but she said her periods just stopped no hot flashes no mood swings no night sweats.. me on the other hand had enough of those things
fpr more than 1 woman ..LOl mine stated around 45 with irregular periods extra heavy flows but they became less and less till around 50 when they stopped altogether amd the symptoms stared around age 48 and lasted till I was 56
i could have taken hormones but I was thinking at that time why take something for a natural thing that was happening,,,
it was discovered that those hormones can cause cancer .
there are designer hormones for people that are kinda wealthy
that accually match your natural hormones and make the transition easier ,,,the generic hormones are made from a horses urine,,, the designers are made from your own stem cells//
it is costly Oprah is takeing designer hormones ,.,they didn;t even have them when I was menopauseing it was the regular hormones or nothing,,
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

fedupagain replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Judy i had on idea! I guess no hormones for me.....I hope for me it will be like your sister's :)

Jis4Judy replied to Marci320's response:
Hi Marci I think my experience was intensified by my feeding it the wrong foods I was binging on icecream and cheese cake the fast track to obeseity and more hot flashes etc
when I went through the big change not one person was talking about it so I had no idea what to expect ...maybe this is natures way of evening the score I had easy pregnancies and my sister had hard pregnancys . My labor was non existent hers was long painful and difficult ...
I hope you all learn from my errors..

Spotlight: Member Stories

tired of always thinking and not doing recognizing that I need to treat myself better understanding that I can not do this (completely) alone hoping t...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.