Skip to content
Mediterranean Diet
davidica posted:
Have you all heard of this? I was reading up on it because DH's friends were on this diet craze and I thought it was yet another fad. Turns out, its the way we SHOULD be living and eating (notice living came before eating). Tons of produce, limited red meat, saturated fats, and sweets and of course excercise. I'm afraid of the "fat" part (olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc) but I've been learning that the monounsaturated fats are the "good" fats for our bodies (in moderation, of course!).

So, do you ladies / gentlemen use olive oil and/or canola oil as opposed to butter / margarine / shortening / etc.? Do you feel guilty doing so? Do you feel as though you're doing something good for your body?

Also, got any good (and cheaper) fish recipes you'd like to share? Or any other veggie related dishes?
SW 216 / GW 155 / CW 212

If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud. Emile Zola

jis4judy responded:
Hi I think maybe I happened onto this plan 7 years ago by just looking things up that would fill my bodies needs
I eat close to this mediterranean Plan the only difference is I hate fish and don;t eat Avocados.. My fish is limited to canned tuna or steamed lobster when I go out or shrimp from time to time ...I am an extremely picky eater ..also clams when I feel like eating fried stuff ... the key to these fried foods they have to have a lot of time between the indulgences,,
I use butter in moderation it is not eliminated just reduced
for cooking canola and olive oil ...
I love nuts I only feel guilty when I eat extra and don;t stop with a proper serving... they are so good for me ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

jis4judy responded:
Oh about fish resipies
I like to put canned white tuna in my salad when the salad has to be a meal it is great with my tinkerd with dressing .
I delute the wishbone robusto dressing by half with wine vinager
and it is a great salad dressing . I have been useing this dressing longer than my plan maybe 25 years so that will tell you I may have accuaky been fatter if I didnt use that dressing.. It sure wasn;t my salad dressing that got me overweight it was my bakeing habit.... sweets ...
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

davidica replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks, Judy! Yeah, tuna can do in a pinch but I'll have to try the Wishbone Robusto dressing AND mix it with vinegar (rice wine, malt, apple cider??). Tuna's just so .... blah lol but I think dressing it with vinegar would help just a bit. Additional bonus, I love malt vinegar on fried fish (I'll use that as a treat, though, too ;o) ) so it could help.

I did find a salmon salad recipe that uses canned salmon and low-fat cream cheese as a sort of base instead of mayo. I'm hoping that'll be good wrapped in lettuce leaves, served with salad, and/or spread on Ezekiel bread with some veggies. Plus, salmon is supposed to be really, really good for you (omega 3s).
SW 216 / GW 155 / CW 212 If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud. Emile Zola ...

jis4judy replied to davidica's response:
Oh Davidica
I tried so hard to include salmon in my plan because of it;s benifits but in order to eat it I had to smother it in tarter sauce therfor making it unhealthy .. I cooked it several different ways and each time there was a gag factor so my body totally rejects salmon so I take a pill fish oil every day to get what salmon would have brought me ..
I eat a lot of chicken and occasionally porkchops rarely eat steak or hamburger..
I eat hamburger meat balls in holiday time they are part of the lasagna I make for holidays like Christmas
and of course turkey at thanksgiving

jis4judy replied to davidica's response:
I use red wine vinager in mine... try different ones and see what you like best ...

justmejust responded:
HI! I keep a bag of frozen salmon in my freezer and have it once or twice a week. I bake it plain and add thyme and rosemary at the table. Add steamed kale and brown rice and it is delicious! I am interested in the mediterranean diet I do like avocado's, 1/4 at a time, and now dip my fresh whole grain warmed bread into a couple tablespoons of olive oil with cracked pepper. Lots of omega 3s in all of this, counteracts the years of omega 6 packaged goodies I've eaten. I feel so much better after a meal of salmon! Cheers!
My story is I need to loose eighty pounds. Thanks for being here Dieting Club: 50-100 Lbs Community!! SW 225 / GW 145 / CW 221 Laura : )

pallzy replied to justmejust's response:
I love salmon too. It's probably my favorite fish. Unfortunately, my DH truly hates fish. So I don't get to cook it. If he's out of town for the weekend though, my daughter and I will get fish and cook it for dinner. My favorite way of cooking salmon is baked with a little Lawry's seasoning salt. It turns out just like Red Lobster's. Love it. I have also found that I like fresh Ahi Tuna. I've only cooked it once, but I made it in a skillet with just a little olive oil and blackening seasoning. Came out wonderful.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

Marci320 replied to pallzy's response:
Well, this is timely. I just got this link to a WebMD article about the Mediterranean Diet:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-mediterranean-diet?ecd=wnl_hlc_072210

blondie454u responded:
The Mediterranean Diet is basically about eating whole foods, which I do. It's really not anything new. It just another gimick to get ppl to pay for recipes and for weight loss when all you have to do is go to the grocery store and make better choices. I do eat fish, salmon mostly, at least twice a week. I love avocados but I don't eat them fast enough before they ruin. But nuts, avacodos, and olive oil have good fats that are good for you. They help your body absorb the all the vitamins you get from the foods we eat. You just have to only eat them in moderation.
Amber CW 129-132 maintaining, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Low_Stress_Weight_Loss replied to blondie454u's response:
I'd much rather fashionable diets be about cooking and recipes for whole foods (such as the Mediterranean diet) instead of pills, potions and bars which seem to be the basis of most popular diets.

Learning new recipes in my experience is a great way to get more comfortable with whole foods, cooking, eating healthier. Some people do well with routine & the same foods, but some people need a lot of variety and changing up recipes can help with that.

I wish that " all you have to do is go to the grocery store and make better choices" was easier for everyone!!!! That's the heart of the matter - for most people that's quite hard!
PROGRESS, not Perfection !

Spotlight: Member Stories

So glad I found this support group. I am inclined 2 b a loner and now that I'm not working it's 2 ez 2 b a recluse (& eat). Hi school days...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.