Skip to content
A question
Marci320 posted:
I'm posing this question on this board because most of you have lost a lot of weight or have reached your goal weight so you might have felt this way at some point.

I've gone through years of being over 300 pounds, the highest being 350. I walked around being apologetic about even existing, aware of taking up too much space, being the biggest person anywhere I went, and always had the thought that when people looked at me, they were judging me for my weight. I was fortunate enough never to be ridiculed or anything but always felt self conscious about how I looked. So, I'm wondering, now I'm 236 pounds and, especially when I am at the gym, I still have the mindset that I am the same huge person and that when people look at me they are still judging me for my size. If any of you have ever experienced that feeling, does it ever end? Is there ever a point where you don't feel like the fattest person on earth?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It does end but it takes a long time. I still worry when I get on planes, when I feel like I take up too much space in the world. Then I look around and realize, oh wait, I am not--and even if I was I am beautiful and strong. You need to remember that too Marci--you are beautiful and strong. Say it to yourself in the mirror or even incessantly. Totally true and it will help you get to believing it.

Did you read Dr. Peeke's post on getting rid of the fat mind ?

jis4judy responded:
yes Marci I felt sort of invisable when I was big maybe thats what I was trying to achieve being invisable ,,,who knows but I do feel totally different l now after 7 years on plan ...
I remember being so uncomfortable when I was on a plane as an obese person I was trying so hard not to invade other peoples space...it was near impossable with those tiny seats
and haveing to get an extension for the seat belt was humiliating.. I am happy to report the last few times I was on a plane the seat belt had extra room and I didn;t invade other space other people invaded mine LOL the feeling does go away
but it takes a while ..sometime in the maintaining phaze it happens..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

fedupagain replied to jis4judy's response:
Going from 260'ish down to 179 I usually feel good about myself -untill-i am surrounded by all the thin people. Or when i have to squize in some of the kiddie rides in 6 flags. Or when i am trying something on and have to look at myself in those bright big mirrors in dressing rooms. And i feel huge especially when i just visit stores like Express, Bebe, etc-stores that i wont even buy anything since their XL size is what other stores mark as M-so i just look at clothes pretending that i am shopping for someone else....
Mia 5'9, SW260'ish/CW178/GW 155-160, mommy of 3 and 6 yo girls

Marci320 replied to fedupagain's response:
Thanks for your responses and sharing your experiences. They are just what I needed to hear! I'd been feeling somewhat confident about the way I'm looking lately so the bad thoughts I had at the gym yesterday came out of left field. It makes me feel better to know that you all have experienced similar feelings and that they eventually go away. I certainly don't want "fat mind!" What an awful place to be! Thanks for sharing that article, Louise. It was an eye opener.

pallzy replied to Marci320's response:
I still have that problem. Maybe not as much as before, but it hasn't completely gone away yet. The other day, I was talking to my daughter, and she told me she weighed about 145. Which is only 15 pounds less than me. I don't know how to explain this part so bear with me.... Instead of thinking "hey - I'm still 3 inches taller and only 15 pounds more. That must mean I'm in pretty good shape". I was thinking that she weighed too much. I didn't tell her that. She doesn't need in on my crazy.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

blondie454u responded:
Hello Marci,

Yes Marci I have had those same feelings. That's why when I started working out I wouldn't go to a gym. I do all my workouts at home even now because I don't like ppl judging me and plus I really couldn't afford the membership. I do still wonder what ppl think of me when they see me but since I'm skinny now I don't worry about as much. Mostly when I go swimming because of my arms. I have some loose skin there but if we worry too much what ppl think then we couldn't be ourselves and that is what keeps us unique in our own way.
Amber CW 129-132 maintaining, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

justmejust replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Louise, thanks for this article.
My story is I need to loose eighty pounds. SW 225 / GW 145 / CW 221 Laura

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. Im a 26yr old mother, wife, and full-time employee. And I am extremely over weight. Approximately 102 lbs to be exact. I feel terrible about m...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.