Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Angel babypodof4
jis4judy posted:
How did you make out at the doctors visit yesterday ?
did they figure out why your heart was raceing?
I hope all is well
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

Babypodof4 responded:
Hey Judy,

They are thinking it was caused by dehydration. The doctor about had a heart attack himself when I told him what I drink in a normal day. They did an EKG - came back fine - and are running a lot of blood work. He said he wants me drinkng 10-12 8oz glasses of water a day!!! Man - I really don't think I can drink all that but I will try.

Angel
SW 192, CW 194 (yuck!), GW 155 We can do anything we put our minds to!!

jis4judy replied to Babypodof4's response:
see thats something I never would think of but we do need water and it does help with weight loss //I am so happy for you that the EKG was good //
drink more water at least 1 quart a day thats about half that he recomended ... you can add more gradually so you won;t feel like you are Floating in water..
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Well I gotta ask, just what amount were you drinking in a day??? (To cause the doc to have a heart attack.)

Barb Jean

P.S. That IS the first thing I caught on these boards the magic 64 oz. of water (tea all non-cal. stuff, except pop). It is filling and flushes the body and is necessary.

Babypodof4 replied to jean4u's response:
Well . . . . I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day. 1-2 glasses of diet coke a day. . . . and sometimes I drink a glass of water . . . sometimes.

I don't ever get thirsty - ever. I usually only drink when I need the caffeine. Growing up we were VERY poor and we didn't have running water so I learned at a very early age to not drink a lot because there really wasn't a lot to drink. I think that messed with my thirst (and hunger) mechanisms. I know this is why I became a dietitian - food was such a central part of my life early on - because there never was any. This is probably why I love to cook so much now.

Well - that fluid intake is what upset him. The 7 mile run with the 3 mile walk on Sunday - the GI bug on Monday - and the speedwork on Tuesday - along with that fluid intake - makes him think it was an electrolyte imbalance that caused heart issues.
SW 192, CW 194 (yuck!), GW 155 We can do anything we put our minds to!!

jis4judy replied to Babypodof4's response:
start drinking more water . last time I needed a new fridg I got one with filtered water and ice thru the door. what a difference that makes in the ease of water drinking . I was born on a farm with no electricity and no running water too... but moved around the age of 2 and when I was a child my favorate foods were dill pickles and potato chips.. Ice cream was a special treat we got when Dad hit the number ...and won some extra money.. I think thats why I became so attached to icecream it was a symbol of good happy times... since water is available now drink at least 4 cups a day to start..
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

blondie454u replied to Babypodof4's response:
I'm glad it wasn't something more serious. I too have problems getting enough water but if I think about it as I walk by the fridge I always try to get another glass of it.
Amber CW 129-132 maintaining, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
ANGEL.

That is really interesting what you said about not craving water. I did not drink alot of water until bottled water became available. Living in the country water always had an off taste. But when I started drinking bottled water, I wanted to drink more water (developed a craving). I would flavor it with those fruit/tea, you name it flavors. Once I started drink it, I actually, like I said wanted to drink more of it.

I now keep 2 containers in frig. one has sugarfree tea (like peach or raspberry, the other has apple/cranberry, (each is 32 oz.). So I know how much I have drank just by what is left in these. I do pack my car insulated 20 oz. cup each time I go out. With your "field" job you could pack a 64 oz. jug with flavored water.

Somebody said that this healthy lifestyle feels like a part time job....well....let's GET TO WORK!!

Thanks for coming back and sharing your info.. You really have no idea how many people that may have helped.

P.S. JUDY, my mom used to play the #'s, she had a dream book that would give #'s to play based on the dream you had.

AMBER, Good that you get a drink every time you go by fridge.....we got to make these healthy habits stick.

Barb Jean

SMCarter137 replied to jean4u's response:
I use to hate water..but now thats what I drink all the time now. I was addicted to soda. But due to my bad kidneys.. that was a big no no. But its always one step at a time. Sometimes at resturants i get water with lemon and add a splenda to make lemonade.
22 y/o 5'4 SW:226 lbs CW:195.5 lbs GW:145 lbs IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! (50.5 lbs to go)

blondie454u replied to SMCarter137's response:
I too used to hate water. When I was pregnant they told I had to drink it but I just couldn't do it but now that's all I want to drink most of the time. Sometimes I will drink a sprite but they are made with natural flavors now so it isn't that bad but like I said it's every once in a while thing.
Amber CW 129-132 maintaining, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
That is one of the first things I noticed that was suggested on these Diet Boards. Start small, and one of the first things is drink less soda and more water.

Amazing how making little changes does add up, though.

SM & AMBER, You young gals are "lucky" to have taken advantage of this (increasing water intake) at such a young age. Good for you!

I think I read somewhere that carbonated beverages (I think with caffeine) hinders your calcium absorbtion. In other words its not good for your bones.

Keep up the good work!

Happy Monday "Moan'in"!

Barb Jean

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a wife and mother, 59, who works for her self-employed husband. At 229 pounds, I am 99 lbs. overweight and have been for 20 years. In fact, at my...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.