Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Part 4 of Series - Committing to Commitment
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
We've all said it, "This is it! I'm going to do something about my weight!" We know we will need to eat right and exercise and we truly desire to make this happen in our lives, but somehow it never does. "Doing something" never gets past the initial planning stages.

Where do we find that switch that turns on the unfailing commitment and energy to reach our weight loss goals? How do we get our brain into this whole process, not just our bodies, and really invest in this process of living healthy?

In weeks 1-3 of our series on the challenges of losing 50 to 100 pounds or more, our Community Members have shared their experiences on starting over & where to start , identifying our relationships with food , and how to begin exercising with 100 extra pounds to carry .

In this final week of our series, let's talk about WHY it's so difficult really commit to a new diet or fitness plan. Why don't we get up off the couch to exercise when we know we should? Why do we only stick to a new diet for a day or two and give up?

Really think for a moment and ask yourself why you think we struggle with our commitment to live healthy then share your thoughts, your challenges, and your victories. If you're feeling frustrated and having trouble committing to your weight loss goals, share what you're going through and find support.

giselle123 responded:
I think it just gets overwhelming sometimes-to think about how far there is to go & how many times you've tried & lost some, but then gained it all back and more. A big struggle for me is dieting on weekends. I do well during the week in my scheduled day, but then kind of let go, want to relax, and reward myself for making it through another stressful week. Those are my challenges to staying committed.

nursingbug responded:
My initial struggle was I didn't feel too bad, and my husband loved me the way I was. I was a confident woman despite the weight. I changed jobs to a more sedentary one, and the secretary had candy on her desk all of the time. My weight went over 300 lbs. The job was very stressful and made me feel terrible. At the same time all I wanted was to have a baby, but I have PCOS, the first thing they tell you is to lose weight.
The job ended and I moved to another position that I hated even worse. Out of the blue I discovered I was pregnant. I was so happy but scared, because I was pregnant and morbidly obese. The pregnancy went pretty well, but I had a lot of pain, and my mobility toward the end was really bad. After I had my daughter I had renewed energy and really wanted to work on the weight. It really MENT something to me now, I wanted to be able to chase her on the playground, and didn't want to have to buy clothes on the internet because I was so big.
I joined weight watchers, and it really worked for me. I like that on the weekends I could spluge. I steadly lost about 70 lbs. I have not really lost any in the last year, but I am holding my own, and continuing to improve my diet and exercise more. I am hoping that with the new program I will get out of this platau, and lose another 50-70 lbs or so for my end goal.

tncx3 responded:
My challenge is when I eat something that I shouldn't, I'm bad for the rest of the day, maybe the week, and then I give up. I was using a pain in my foot in order to not exercise. I made the doctor appointment and receive a shot in the foot. I still have not exercise and I don't know why I have not gotten up out the chair. Today, I have been conscious about what I put in my mouth. Yes, this does feel good and my body feels better.

panson responded:
I have come to the conclusion that I am basically a lazy person. I just cannot get up off my duff and do something. Keep it moving thoughts occur, but that's as far as it goes. I can't get motivated. I currently weigh about 320 lbs.

QQBALL10 replied to panson's response:
You just described me to a "T"! And it's to the point now that my legs just hurt too much to get up! I'm stressed, exhausted and simply dragging my butt around from chore to chore. I've been on antidepressants for years and tend to maintain a positive attitude. I can't imagine actually exercising could be any more difficult than it is to just GET UP and START!!! So what's the problem???

elsilento responded:
My issue is using food as a mood modifer. There have been many days where I get home from work and order a large pizza (plus side dishes) for myself and eat the whole thing. Sometimes my binge eating feels like a genuine addiction. It sucks!

Tootgirl replied to giselle123's response:
I completely relate to you giselle 123! The weekends are trap-days for me. I think it's because I have too much time on my hands and not enough to do, but whatever the reason, in the past five months, I have lost 11 pounds and have put them back on in the past month .(I think! Haven't been on the scale but I just feel it.) Now I am back on the trail trying to lose those pounds again! I have lost all motivation! What's a Big Girl to do?

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to giselle123's response:
You're right, Giselle, it IS overwhelming to keep your eyes on the long term goal when we have some big steps to hurdle. And it's easy to beat ourselves up.

I know I used to think I was too far gone to think about getting thin again. Because I'd gained & lost so many times, I based everything on my past failures. One lesson I learned: Don't base your future successes on your past failures.

It's a sad disposition, and couldn't be farther from the truth! Once I made up my mind that I wanted to be active again, that was all that mattered...not that I lost 20 lbs in a month...but that I was moving. And then the weight just started slowly coming off.

It makes it easier, and give us cause to celebrate, when we break things down into mini-goals that will help us get through each week or month. Watch for our new threads I'll be starting each Monday to help with Mini-Goals. :)

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to nursingbug's response:
Congratulations on the 70 lb loss, Nursingbug! Very impressive. :)

I think it's great that you didn't lose weight to feel accepted, but rather you did it for yourself so you could spend more active playtime with your family. That's the same reason I began my weight loss journey (this time).

Don't you think it's important to really find our "why"? Why do you want to lose weight? Why will losing weight make such a difference in a certain area of our life? Why is it important to us to be active with our kids?

Maybe if we can attach a positive emotion to our reason why, it will be easier to stick to.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to tncx3's response:
Great job on being more conscious of the foods you're eating, Tncx! That's a perfect start.

Now it's just about getting up and taking that first initiative to start exercising. Remember the Nike slogan? "Just do it." It sounds over-simplified, but the honest truth is..that's the best way to look at it.

I'd encourage you (and everyone) to find an exercise companion. It makes things so much easier to follow through on when you have someone expecting you. I was the WORST procrastinator in the world!! And still can be, so I need that extra accountability. Maybe it will work for you, too!

Good luck and please come back and share how you're doing. We'd love to be here to support you!

jilliev replied to tncx3's response:
I understand this completely. I had plantar fasciitis in my foot and used that as a reason not to exercise, but now, 6 weeks post surgery, I'm cleared for light exercise. My gym membership is waiting for me. No excuses except that I would rather nap after work than change and go exercise. I know in my heart that I would have more energy if I went to the gym, but that knowledge doesn't help enough to get me to go. I also have problems passing the yummy treats in the grocery store. Seems that I am always hungry when I shop no matter what time that is.
Conscious eating. That's a great idea. I'm sure that I would do better if I wrote everything down. That's what I'll start doing tomorrow. I hear that is a necessity to weight loss.

An_201704 responded:
I think a huge part of my issue is thinking "Okay, I can do this, just exercise, eat right and lose the weight!" but then the next thought is "But then I have to exercise, eat right, and keep the weight off for the rest of my life". I feel like if I could get the weight off and never have to worry about it again I'd do it, but the fact that you have to keep up with it gets me.

suesue3p responded:
many times I say have to loose weight but when I start a diet I get boared with it. I was on so many of them. Everytime I look at myself its not nice. But being Italian I love to eat & afraid I will miss all types of food. I'm not laxed do walk but not long due to low bk pain. Maybe someone with my problem could help me.

Jis4Judy replied to suesue3p's response:
Hi suesue3p you may have a problem with portion control
instead of changeing your eating totally try to make yourself more aware of the amount you are eatiing ,
I include almost everything in my plan , it is the amounts that I portion out to myself that has changed ...and because the smaller amounts of something like lasagna I serve it with a green vegetable and a salad skip the bread ,,,
I found you can still have things you love while removeing unwanted pounds just less often and smaller portions .. this plan doesn;t feel like a diet because it is a life style change .
we all have to make our own plan that suits us ..
You can do this I am sure you can
if you have a daily habit od any food that is fattening that is hard to giveup dont give it up totally just delay it I had to that with icecream I made a deal with my self that if I stayed on plan a whole month I could have icecream 1 serving at and ice cream shoppe. I still don;t have it in the house..
good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

Spotlight: Member Stories

(see my response to Andie's blog on Committing to Committment 4/3/11)

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.