Skip to content
New Here Could Use Advice
sadglastoaster posted:
I'm Neisa and yes I'd like to lose 50 lbs or more.
It's hard though when your mom cooks everything, so you can't go by the recipe diets, and a lot of the diets are for older women or at least the ones I see. I'm tired of being fat. In high school I thought I was fat, but compared to what I am now I feel like that was heaven. Anything that you think might help or suggestions to a newbie would be wondeful. I'm tired of being fat, but chocolate and sweets seem to be my comfort food, when I'm depressed. They have left me over weight, but I wan't to for ONCE in my life like to go to the pool and not have to use a cover up or a full bathing suit! Most high school girls get to wear bikini's and show off their beautiful bodies during the summer. I never go to pool parties, because I can't help but to hide mine. What's even worse it that my mom was only like 110 to 120 lbs when she was my age and about my height, 5'7'. I'm like almost 100 lbs over that. :/ I'll admit my weight, because I want to rid myself of it so much!!!
Please help! :D

blondie454u responded:
I am sorry to hear that you are having such hard time. I know what it's like to be in your shoes. I was overweight when I was in highschool and it was horrible. I have been overweight all my life until I started my journey. I would suggest to start writing down everything you eat in a journal. Look at what you are eating first. Try to make 1 to 2 changes a week. Like adding more fruits and veggies one week and another try cut out sweets or soda. Your diet should be a lifestyle change. In order to lose the weight and keep it off you have to change the way you eat for life. You shouldn't eat any process foods. All natural is the way to go. I eat combination of nuts, whole grains, low fat or fat free dairy, lean meats, fresh or frozen fruit and veggies. If you have more questions or need some help just let us know. I would be glad to help you on your journey.
Amber CW 139 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Amber gave you great advice I will just add my welcome.
hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey life isn;t allways what we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

KittyKatJenn responded:
I Neisa...welcome. You will get a lot of great advice and support on this board.

First, I want to suggest something. You said your mom cooks all the meals and you basically can't eat anything else. What if you made your own meals? If you learned how to cook you could control what you eat better. Cooking is not hard either and it is a lot of fun. I find it to be a good stress reliever also.

Secondly, do you exercise at all? We all know that exercise is a key component in weight loss. You don't have to belong to a gym to exercise either. A simple 30 minute walk around the neighborhood is exercise.

Third, I have to tell you not to deprive yourself. I tried that so often and it backfires. Chocolate and sweets are huge for me as well. I make sure to keep a package of the 60 calorie, sugar free chocolate pudding on hand. I also have chocolate rice cakes and Smart Ones makes frozen "sundaes". Smart Ones is a weight watchers frozen food. The little sindaes and fudge cake are 1 small serving and they do the trick for me when I want sweet. I can tell you that I will not deprive myself. If I want it I'm gonna eat it. My hubby is making me steak for my bday dinner tonight and then we are going to get ice cream. I would usually get like a large blizzard, but I am going to have a mini blizzard instead. I didn't eat bad before, but there I always room for improvement. Make better food choices and learning how to cook is a huge step in doing so.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you keep us updated!

gporter54 responded:
I have been losing now for 17 weeks. I started at 280, and am down 70 lbs. Honestly, I could devour a bag of Dove chocolate every night, but I haven't had one piece in 17 weeks now. I get my chocolate fix from Fiber-One bars and Chocolate protein shakes. However, I am a guy and can stomach the shakes, most girls hate the taste and after taste. If you completely deny yourself, you will over endulge later. So treat yourself. Set a goal for the week, and if you meet your goal, have a small piece of chocolate. And don't beat yourself up when you do give in. Good Luck, you will get there. True beauty comes from within.

Jis4Judy replied to gporter54's response:
Congrats gporter54
You are doing great welcome aboard
we are happy to have another inspiration source such as yourself.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey life isn;t allways what we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Time for my 2 cents worth!

Get some low-cal fudgesycles. They are cheap and a treat.

Eat a small portion of what your mom cooks BUT add 3/4 of the plate with frozen or fresh veggies. Also eat 1 cup of fresh veggies (celery, cukes, carrots, peppers). Have a bowl of soup but add a cup of veggie like frozen, chopped spinach or broccoli to it.

Drink 64 oz water (tea, Crystal lite).

You can do this.

Soon your jeans will be falling off.

Barb

P.S. Fiber bars are you best friend. Also Low fat yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit AND add 1/3 cup of high fiber cereal, this is a real tummy-filler. Those protein powders are good, too. Make a smoothie or add to cereal or yogurt.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.