Skip to content
Finally, A move in the right direction!
SMCarter137 posted:
Hey everyone!

I hope all is well.

This past week I decided to try something new with my eating habits. I was almost "stuck" at 176.5 then went back up to 180. I was wondering why. I started counting my carbs and fat intake as well as overall calories. It seems to be doing the trick. I was def. eating way to many starches.. and my job doesn't with me sitting on my butt all day. I try to get up as much as I can to talk around. Has anyone else had any sucess with this?
23 y/o 5'4 SW:226 lbs CW:174.8 lbs GW:145 lbs  IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! (29.8 lbs to go)

jis4judy responded:
yes SMCarter
I keep an eye on fats as well as starches I try to elimimate starches almost and try to have a larger percent of my fat in the monounsaturated fat area ... those steps were part of my overall plan
I try to keep my fats at 25% my carbs mostly fruit and vegie carbs at 50% and proteins at 25%

they shift around some but no more than 5% either way
this has been working for me a long time ..
play with them and find the balance that works for you
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
SM,

I think you are onto a good find. I don't eat high carb foods and do watch the fat content. I think you can eat higher fiber foods like veggies and popcorn and fruit that will be filling but don't add weight like those "evil" carbs. I try to stay away from all white carbs. I draw the line with potatoes.....maybe have two a week.

I think what you are doing is "tweaking" your journey because everyone who stays on this journey has to keep open to new things that will help them lose or maintain their weight.

Good for you to stay on your journey. I am proud that you are going at it!

You said you have a sitting job......when you go to the restroom, try jogging in place before you return to your desk, even a minute will help burn calories. I do this at home and do wall pushups, too.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

P.S. Breaking away from carbs has made me less hungry all the time.

Barb

justmejust responded:
Hi, just today a family member showed me how to count carbs and I did great. It was simple and worked. I think I can begin to lose weight again.
Thanks for posting this Carter137
Laura GW 145 / CW 212 / SW 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps to a healthy lifestyle change.

SMCarter137 replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks for the tip at work. I try to get up as much as possible and walk around. I even walk over to the store when we need stuff for our office. I recently started walking to work as well. Its only a 40 min walk both ways. Plus my gym is 2 mins away as well.
23 y/o 5'4 SW:226 lbs CW:174.8 lbs GW:145 lbs IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! (29.8 lbs to go)

jean4u replied to SMCarter137's response:
SM,

You are "a calorie-burning-fat-burning Machine". All that added walking and movement will add up.

I use a pedlar when I watch tv. It doesn't seem like much, but I know some activity is better than NONE! My DH got one at a thrift store for $5.

Keep us posted.

Happy Tuesday....it's "Dance Day"!

Barb

jean4u replied to justmejust's response:
Hey Laura,

I don't count calories. But I do try to check sugar content and carb content. Oh, and fiber content. The higher fiber foods actually make a "net carb" effect. I think it reduces the carb count in foods, if the fiber is high.

Good for you to search for information that will work for you. I know eating less carbs has made it less difficult to control my eating.

Let us know how it works.

Barb

SMCarter137 replied to jean4u's response:
Wow! That's awesome! Your right.. even the smallest things such as that will help
23 y/o 5'4 SW:226 lbs CW:174.8 lbs GW:145 lbs IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! (29.8 lbs to go)

jean4u replied to SMCarter137's response:
I think the the consistency of doing the little changes gradually do ADD up AND get to be habits.

P.S. I just bought more of the 64 oz. plastic containers (from the dollar store) to put fruits and veggies in, in the fridge. I like to cut up melons and pineapples and have ready-to-eat. I also like to steam broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, too (and store in plastic containers).

Having these foods cut and stored was a little change I have made that makes my food choices much easier and clear.

I love having celery cut and stored in water in the fridge, it's a "grab-'n-go" food.

Here's to staying focused!!!

Barb

justmejust replied to jean4u's response:
Good idea on the storing the cut celery in water. I'll try that too.
Laura GW 145 / CW 212 / SW 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps to a healthy lifestyle change.

Yeah, it really makes the celery "crunchy" and keeps so much better and its ready to eat.

I find I really eat more of these veggies and fruits IF they are ready to eat and waiting for me in the fridge.

Barb

Hi Barb, still need to put my cut celery in the water in the fridge. The carb counting is being very helpful and enlightening to me. Had too many today though with my second son's birthday cakes this week. That type of food really adds carbs up, and saturated and trans fats too.
Laura GW 145 / CW 211 / SW 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps to a healthy lifestyle change.

Laura,

I think an old WW expression was don't eat cake unless it is YOUR birthday, so that means ONCE a year!

I don't remember the last time I ate cake. Seems like the seniors are really big on sweets, too. So I am constantly around sweets (like cakes). I have to pretend they aren't there. I just say how pretty they look to the "cake-baker" and they grin at that compliment. I probably have saved a million calories and fats, too.

I used to love the taste of cakes, too. Now, I really don't miss them. Funny how you can change your tastes.

Good to see you sticking around here.

Happy Tuesday!

Barb

That's a great tip Barb. I'll just say how pretty they look to the "cake-baker" and the birthday person to show appreciation and to let everyone know I'm happy for them so I won't feel like they are all focusing on me not having any. Hope I can do it.

You are so right, half the time it doesn't taste as good as a salad or greens to me. It's the other half the time when I still think it's yummy that concerns me, that is still better than 100% of the time I used to imagine it tasted good! What am I thinking, thinking like that? That crazy thinking / eating got me where I am/was with my weight and health. I think I wasn't really thinking at all. Don't know what that was all about. Still a challenge day to day, time after time.
Laura GW 145 / CW 211 / SW 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps to a healthy lifestyle change.

Laura just tell the "food pushers" that you get a "bad" reaction to cake or whatever it is they are "pushing" and we do get a BAD reaction it turns to FAT!!! LOL

All I know is if I get started, again, eating cakes or whatever, I won't stop with a little helping. So, it's best for me, to not even get started.

Good for you to be building your willpower.

Barb

Happy Tuesday!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Margie, I'm 32, and I've lived in Mexico during the past 14 years as a long-term missionary. I currently weigh 274 pounds. I've...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.